The NFL needs to rethink how it does overtime

pf9

I personally think both teams should get the ball in OT. Thought this after the Chiefs game last year.  Score a TD, get a 4 and out, then win. However we know how the NFL is embracing change.

However the coaches know what the rules are and Sean Payton coaching and time management, or lack thereof, put his team in this position. He was woeful today.

Completely mismanaged the game throughout and then again at the end of regulation.

• Absolutely should have taken a timeout with 2:45 left after they stopped the Vikings on 3rd down.
  • Lost 40 seconds plus the two minute warning from saving that timeout that they didn't even end up using.
  • Was not asking players to get out of bounds if possible to stop the clock during their 2 minute drill, even with the Viking prevent coverage.
  • Takes the 10 second run off, and because of that they were forced to kick a long field goal to tie as opposed to having enough time left to see the drive out and very possibly get a touchdown to win.

Saints fan should blame him and Drew Brees. Not the OT Rules.

Edited by Magnifico
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

No it doesn't. Play better defense.

Yes. People always act like the team is simply the offense. If a team loses by a TD on an opening OT drive, it’s all on them. Half their team wasn’t good enough.

Edited by Duluther

I agree, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make. After 2 TDs, so much of overtime has bled out and then you're headed for a second OT. At a certain point the game becomes a pyrrhic victory for either side. The rules are this way to give coaches the incentive to take chances to win games in regulation. Go for 2 or go for it on fourth down earlier in the game. Anything else says "I'm okay if this game comes down to coin toss."

Just play better defense. This reeks of everyone deserves a trophy. They already expanded on the sudden death rules of old since people wanted to kick field goals. I think its fine how it is in its current state. Don't wanna lose? Don't let the opponent score a TD. DO BETTER.

• Like 1

I like it how it is. Closest to even odds. If both teams got the opportunity to score no matter what it gives a bigger advantage to the team that gets the ball second than either side has now. It's hard to drive down to the field and get a TD from the 25. 

If you don't like the rules, don't leave it to OT.

1 hour ago, jofos said:

Because your team doesn't win doesn't mean the rules should be changed.

I hate the Saints with a passion but I think the rules should be changed to college too.

Here's why:

There's clearly a huge advantage given to the team that gets the ball first. How is this decided? A freaking coin flip. So a coin flip gives one team a decided advantage in OT. I don't think that's right. Every team is thrilled when they win the coin toss in OT and immediately choose to go on offense. It's really not fair.

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

How is it closest to even odds than college OT?

College OT is trash. Starting with the ball at the opponent's 25? What is that? You want to run practice drills like that instead of playing the game?

The current rules are closer to even odds than first team to score any points win OR both teams possess regardless of a TD score.

4 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

The current rules are closer to even odds than first team to score any points win OR both teams possess regardless of a TD score.

This doesn't even make sense.

If it were even odds, why does every team choose to take the football first in OT?
If both teams have great offenses and bad defenses...like literally exactly the same...the team that gets the ball first is going to win every time. How is that fair?
College football is a back-and-forth style where you have just as much of a chance as your opponent to win the game. You play equal amounts on both offense and defense.

• Like 1