The NFL needs to rethink how it does overtime

pf9

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

If it were even odds, why does every team choose to take the football first in OT?

Because coaches don't want to make the call that clearly states they don't believe their offense CAN'T drive down the field and win the game with a TD. 

And they don't 100% of the time. BB choose to kick against Peyton Manning and people who haven't seen the percentages thought it was the craziest thing ever. 

2 hours ago, pf9 said:

With the Saints losing in OT in the postseason again, a major flaw about how the league's OT rules work showed itself again.

Ties aren't the only bad thing that can happen under the current rules, a team can lose in OT without ever possessing the ball in the extra period.

I feel that college OT rules are the way to go. College OT games are more thrilling than those in the NFL. Plus those rules were tweaked before this season. Beginning with the 5th OT games become 2 point conversion shootouts, in an effort to shorten OT games.

Many of the greatest college football games since 1996 have been OT thrillers. As an OSU fan I can testify to this.

Yes they do. It should be sudden death even if it's a FG.

3 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Because coaches don't want to make the call that clearly states they don't believe their offense CAN'T drive down the field and win the game with a TD. 

And they don't 100% of the time. BB choose to kick against Peyton Manning and people who haven't seen the percentages thought it was the craziest thing ever. 

It feels like robbery to win the toss, score a td, and call it game over without having to play defense. Everyone arguing that defense is important as to why the current rule is great fail to realize that a lot of times, only 1 team ever has to play defense. 

Im dumbfounded that people like the current system to be honest. I mean, to each their own, but it seems incredibly skewed to the team that possesses the ball first. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

It feels like robbery to win the toss, score a td, and call it game over without having to play defense. Everyone arguing that defense is important as to why the current rule is great fail to realize that a lot of times, only 1 team ever has to play defense. 

Im dumbfounded that people like the current system to be honest. I mean, to each their own, but it seems incredibly skewed to the team that possesses the ball first. 

Think about what a huge advantage it would be to get the ball second if both teams got a chance

Also, what if one team gets it twice and the other team only gets it once? Isn't that also unfair?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Based on what? There are no numbers out there that say the odds were incredibly skewed, even BEFORE teams had to score a TD to win on the first drive. After....

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

Think about what a huge advantage it would be to get the ball second if both teams got a chance

9 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

Also, what if one team gets it twice and the other team only gets it once? Isn't that also unfair?

Both teams had a chance to play offense and defense. If both teams got a chance to win and didn't, I'm fine with the sudden death aspect after that.

Both teams had a chance to play offense and defense. If both teams got a chance to win and didn't, I'm fine with the sudden death aspect after that.

There would be a huge advantage to getting the ball 2nd if you KNEW you needed a TD to keep the game going

You'd get 4 downs on every series to get 10 yards and wouldn't have to consider punting or kicking a FG

So if you won the toss, you'd elect to kick?

With Lamar? No, I'd want it in his hands. With the most teams in Ravens history, yes. 

If you kick and get a quick stop you might only need one or two good plays to get into FG range and win it.

• Like 1