Bengals fire OC Ken Zampese

TheVillain112

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

Imagine if they'd fired Lewis and promoted Hue to HC; like we did with Lovie and Koetter.

In Lewis and the Bengals defense, we've lost Jay Gruden, Mike Zimmer, Hue Jackson, and Vance Joseph over the past several seasons.  It's hard to replace that much coaching talent easily...

59 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Not entirely but he was definitely at fault.  Offense has kept regressing since Hue left.  Also, what I think did him in the most is not building game plans to highlight the talent on the team.  The biggest hope going forward is that Mixon gets more snaps and Green gets more targets...

Fair enough. Giving Hill carries and misusing bernard is pretty bad.

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

The GM (Duke Tobin) in this case, I believe has done a fantastic job over the past few seasons.  The RB situation isn't the best but let's be real, no one is trading anything for Jeremy Hill.  It's up to the coaches to just sit him and play Mixon/Gio.  Also, our now fired OC has been using them in some of the stupidest way possible.  Gio for pass blocking and running up the middle in the red zone, isn't exactly his strong suit...

I understand that there isnt much to be gotten for Jeremy Hill, and not trading him isnt forcing the bad rotation (it may be somewhat of a factor) but you are going to end up losing him after the season anyway. And at the level RBs get paid these days, you likely arent getting a Comp pick for him in the 2019 draft (especially with the roster needing to add talent as it is). So while Im not trying to indict Tobin's entire GM run here, it is a miss on his part.

You cant tell me you wouldnt rather have had a 6th round pick this year or 5th or whatever in next years draft than Hill just rotting on the sidelines muddling up time for Mixon?

I would have to imagine the Giants or Colts would have given up something for him. Possibly the Lions, Packers or even Seahawks would have been interested. And I hope he was immediately on the phone with the Cardinals once DJ went down. You may have not gotten much, but not much is better than nothing when a decent running back walks out the door at the end of the year that you are barely going to use him for.

OverTheCap weighs in on Dalton, the Bengals cap strategies and more

https://overthecap.com/bengals-bench-andy-dalton

"The Bengals are more or less in a tear it down phase. After four straight years of double digit wins and five straight playoff losses, the Bengals started to look slower and older last year. If you look at the changes on offense maybe its no surprise he is struggling.

When you have a player like a Dalton that is more of a manager than a gunslinger you have to keep him surrounded with good talent. Last year they allowed Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu, his second and third wide receivers, to depart in free agency. This year they removed the faces up front when they let starting tackle Andrew Whitworth and starting guard Kevin Zeitler to sign elsewhere. The losses on an offensive line I don’t think can be overstated."

Archived