Bengals fire OC Ken Zampese

TheVillain112

7 hours ago, cddolphin said:

...is he now?

He also believes Joey Harrington was a good QB talent and that Chip Kelly was a good NFL coach.

If there is an Oregon connection, he will slobber over them..regardless of how terrible they actually are.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

He also believes Joey Harrington was a good QB talent and that Chip Kelly was a good NFL coach.

If there is an Oregon connection, he will slobber over them..regardless of how terrible they actually are.

Eh, to be fair Kelly did engineer back to back 10 win seasons with Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez at QB.  I wouldnt say he was as bad as some people say especially considering San francisco didn't even give him much of a real chance

16 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Eh, to be fair Kelly did engineer back to back 10 win seasons with Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez at QB.  I wouldnt say he was as bad as some people say especially considering San francisco didn't even give him much of a real chance

I know....just razzing the guy because he is constantly pimping players/coaches simply because of their Oregon connection.

10 hours ago, MemphisEagles said:

I wouldn't call Zampese a scapegoat per se, because his playcalling truly is awful. He deserved to be fired.

But he certainly wasn't the only or biggest problem.

I don't think the playcalling was truly awful but the tempo was.  A lot of teams are just not in sync at times but they do something to change things up.  Zampese just kept doing the same damn thing.  If you re-watch Bengals games you'll see receivers open but Dalton is just not looking that way or the OLine collapses quickly or Dalton just misses a wide open receiver, so I can see why Zampese wanted to stay the course.  But it wasn't going to get better.  Sometimes change just for the sake of change can work, and I hope it does in this situation.  

The offense will still struggle unless Dalton can rebound. The OLine pretty much has zero hope, but we have a very good defense that's going un-noticed in all this, and a solid special teams unit.  I wouldn't fully count this team out yet, especially when Burfict comes back...

On 9/15/2017 at 9:05 PM, The LBC said:

By GM you mean Mike Brown, right?  If so, that ought to be a rhetorical question.

As to Zampese...

scapegoating2.jpg

And that's all I have to say about that.

Unfortunately, our offense is like a box of chocolates.  You never know which Andy you are going to get, and the defense knows the play better that our offense.

On 9/15/2017 at 5:09 PM, Shanedorf said:

OverTheCap weighs in on Dalton, the Bengals cap strategies and more

https://overthecap.com/bengals-bench-andy-dalton

"The Bengals are more or less in a tear it down phase. After four straight years of double digit wins and five straight playoff losses, the Bengals started to look slower and older last year. If you look at the changes on offense maybe its no surprise he is struggling.

When you have a player like a Dalton that is more of a manager than a gunslinger you have to keep him surrounded with good talent. Last year they allowed Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu, his second and third wide receivers, to depart in free agency. This year they removed the faces up front when they let starting tackle Andrew Whitworth and starting guard Kevin Zeitler to sign elsewhere. The losses on an offensive line I don’t think can be overstated."

This is an ownership issue. Brown is known for being cheap when it comes to retaining players/HC's and he will never pay a HC's salary to 2 people at the same time, so Marvin can only be fired if his contract is up.

Cincy has fallen on hard times since Zimmer left to be HC in Minny. Zimmer was a top DC and he is missed.

17 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Unfortunately, our offense is like a box of chocolates.  You never know which Andy you are going to get, and the defense knows the play better that our offense.

Dalton has always been a limited QB who lacks arm strength and gets by on his intangibles. Brown, the owner, has simply let too many offensive players walk due to his cheapness and Dalton has always needed strong support around him to make up for his weaknesses.

7 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Dalton has always been a limited QB who lacks arm strength and gets by on his intangibles. Brown, the owner, has simply let too many offensive players walk due to his cheapness and Dalton has always needed strong support around him to make up for his weaknesses.

I agree with the sentiment, but Brown stopped being the cheap owner after he finally defeated the IRS in the estate tax mess after Paul Brown's passing.  I agree that it was stupid to let Whitworth leave.  But Brown was never going to set the new water mark for Guards on the open market, so Zeitler left.  Some will say he let Jones and Sanu leave, but you can't pay those guys and AJ Green without finding yourself in a salary cap mess.  And for that cheapness, he has re-signed AJ Green, Gio Bernard, Dalton, and Eifert (on the 5th year option now and franchise tag next year if they don't work something out) and Clint Boling.  At least they had a plan for losing Whit and Andre Smith when they drafted Ogbuehi and Fisher.  They have absolutely sucked so far, but there was a plan.  It was also ridiculous to still roll with that plan this year based on how they played last year, but there's only so much cap to go around.  They drafted replacements and signed a free agent at WR (LaFell, Boyd, Ross, Malone, Core, Erickson all added since Jones and Sanu left).  They drafted Westerman to replace Zeitler, but Hopkins jumped in and seized the spot.  they even re-signed Andre Smith to help bridge the gap until the draft, where I suspect we will invest heavily at OT and OC, plus a guard or two on day three.

On defense, they have huge deals with geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, Michael Johnson (who isn't worth it), Vontaze Burfict, george Iloka, Dre Kirkpatrick, and Adam Jones.  

You can't pay them all.

On 9/15/2017 at 9:05 PM, The LBC said:

As to Zampese...

He's not just a scape goat.  He was doing a terrible job.  That RB rotation is awful.  Give the most carries to the worst back, give the least touches to the best back.  Game plan to get Alex Erickson and Brandon Lafell the ball when you have AJ Green and John Ross.  Bench John Ross after one fumble to destroy his confidence.  The list goes on.  

6 hours ago, theJ said:

He's not just a scape goat.  He was doing a terrible job.  That RB rotation is awful.  Give the most carries to the worst back, give the least touches to the best back.  Game plan to get Alex Erickson and Brandon Lafell the ball when you have AJ Green and John Ross.  Bench John Ross after one fumble to destroy his confidence.  The list goes on.  

The one potential issue in all of this though, it's hard to tell from the outside if all of those decisions were up to Zampese.  Or the next guy that will probably go in Marvin Lewis.

We've done dumb stuff before offensively and on the personnel side.  Most notably that I can recall is centralizing an offensive game plan in the Texans/Bengals playoff game (the 2nd one) that was featured around one Jermaine Gresham, who predictably dropped key passes.

Regardless, this is a problem:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/9/18/16327800/nfl-week-2-bengals-snap-count-texans-favors-veterans-youth

• 3 weeks later...

So Bill Lazor has been fantastic since taking over.  It's like night and day with this offense.  Was hesitant at first parsing him playing against a banged up Packers defense, and the Browns.  But the Bills had a legit defense and the offense looked pretty good in a bad weather game...

DLtxZntX4AAiT2p.jpg:large

Archived