Mariota

mwalker

Ahh @wwhickok your right I was being stupid. I was doing my own math without looking at the OTC number. I was doing 30% of his cap hit, not his salary. 

My feeling still remains, though. I don’t think we are nearly as stuck as it seems. I know no one likes to give credit to anyone in the FO, but this years rules are not new to them. They knew this was coming. 

15 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Ahh @wwhickok your right I was being stupid. I was doing my own math without looking at the OTC number. I was doing 30% of his cap hit, not his salary. 

My feeling still remains, though. I don’t think we are nearly as stuck as it seems. I know no one likes to give credit to anyone in the FO, but this years rules are not new to them. They knew this was coming. 

They always find a way so you might end up being right 

I would not mind getting Mariotta in a perfect world. No he is not an ideal fit for our "current" offense, but the way the league is somewhat shifting, with some  coaching, he could revive his career after Ben retires.  There are tons of problems with this becoming a reality. Most involve $$$. 

1. I am sure Mariotta wants to go somewhere to compete as a starter. I am fairly confidant that some team will give him that shot.

2. He was the #2 pick in the entire draft. He will not play or sign for the league minimum. He won't get $30 or $32 million a season, but he is going to get WAY more than we could afford for a future QB to be a back-up Someone will pay him between($17 - $25 million or so to be a starter and I may even be low balling there).

3. I think that Mariotta and even Jameis go somewhere to try to re-establish their careers and show they can play. Someone may get a bit of a value as far as starter $$$ (Indy who may look for a QB to compete with Jacoby).  That may appeal to Marcus because he can prove himself and then require bigger $$$ like Teddy Bridgewater will do now.

While I would love it and have suggested it as well, it is probably not a realistic hope. I would be extremely surprised that he went the route of former starter Charlie Batch.Why get bottom of the barrell back-up money when you can get decent starter money? 

I don't believe that it's a realistic possibility for all of the cap reasons listed and the fact that this front office and this coaching staff is still holding out hope that we have our future starter in Mason.

With that being said, if we were to get aggressive and attempt to sign our future starting quarterback....IF.. then I would prefer to take a run at Teddy Bridgewater. Probably just as unrealistic as Mariotta, but I believe that he has a fresh energy and confidence. His best prospect would be to sign with a loaded team in need of an immediate starter (the Bears), but draft prospects are so hit and miss that having a solid starter like Teddy would be a good option.

99% chance is that we stay status quo. We bring in a UDFA or late round quarterback to take a shot at the roster and we simply wait until the 2021 draft and we trade up into the top 10 to get our next franchise guy.