Where Does Dirk Rank In Terms Of Post Moves All-Time?

the lone star

So when it comes to post-moves, people typically pick Hakeem #1 with McHale at #2. But where would you all rank Dirk, and who do you have ahead of him.

More specifically, would you rate the following guys higher than Dirk in terms of post moves and/or overall post-play?

Kevin Durant
Michael Jordan
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Karl Malone
Tim Duncan
Patrick Ewing
Wilt Chamberlain
Charles Barkley
Elvin Hayes
Dan Issel
Shaq
Moses Malone
Kevin Garnett

3 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

if it's basically post moves, not production McHale is arguably number 1. Hakeem overall. Dirk spent most of his career facing up. But when he was posting up he was damn near unstoppable.

Yep. McHale and Hakeem would be the top 2 for technical work and skill down low.

On 1/6/2020 at 4:25 PM, resilient part 2 said:

if it's basically post moves, not production McHale is arguably number 1. Hakeem overall. Dirk spent most of his career facing up. But when he was posting up he was damn near unstoppable.

Dirk did a mix of face-up and post moves. He should get a lot of credit for redefining the post, because before him, who was talking about scoring from the high post?

Gets a little tricky since I do think it's much more difficult scoring from the post off of technique and footwork after 2001 than it was prior IMO due to illegal defense. Not to mention, w/ the direction of the game over the past 5 years, there's less and less of a reason for guys to work on their post game. In the 80s and 90s you were either getting doubled or you weren't, generally much easier to read opponents intentions. Not constantly dealing with guards sagging off their man and in striking distance waiting to ****** the ball or force you into the paint defender as you make your move like there are now. That's why I think what Pau did from the post, in his era, was impressive than what Moses did (strictly from the post).

I think I'd rank top post scorers

1. Hakeem
  2. Kareem
  3. Duncan
  4. McHale
  5. Shaq
  6. Wilt
  7. Walton
  8. Yao
  9. Barkley
  10. Pau

I don't want to pair guys like MJ, Lebron or with big men... Lebron you probably could since he actually can post up front court guys, but I just want to keep it to big men. 

Dirk's fadeaway is certainly top 3 all time, but I couldn't put him over any of these guys, guessing he'd be top 20?... SO many guys to choose from, sure I'm missing some too who didn't cross my mind.

Actually the most amazing player hasn't even been mentioned yet. Google Adrian Dantley man was barely 6.5 and spent most of his time posting people up doing spin moves and all kind of hooks with either hand. Do believe he led the NBA in scoring in the 80s a few times

Edited by resilient part 2
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 4:39 PM, resilient part 2 said:

Actually the most amazing player hasn't even been mentioned yet. Google Adrian Dantley man was barely 6.5 and spent most of his time posting people up doing spin moves and all kind of hooks with either hand. Do believe he led the NBA in scoring in the 80s a few times

Yeah, he was dope in the post. Good pick.

On 1/9/2020 at 3:56 PM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Gets a little tricky since I do think it's much more difficult scoring from the post off of technique and footwork after 2001 than it was prior IMO due to illegal defense. Not to mention, w/ the direction of the game over the past 5 years, there's less and less of a reason for guys to work on their post game. In the 80s and 90s you were either getting doubled or you weren't, generally much easier to read opponents intentions. Not constantly dealing with guards sagging off their man and in striking distance waiting to ****** the ball or force you into the paint defender as you make your move like there are now. That's why I think what Pau did from the post, in his era, was impressive than what Moses did (strictly from the post).

I think I'd rank top post scorers

1. Hakeem
  2. Kareem
  3. Duncan
  4. McHale
  5. Shaq
  6. Wilt
  7. Walton
  8. Yao
  9. Barkley
  10. Pau

I don't want to pair guys like MJ, Lebron or with big men... Lebron you probably could since he actually can post up front court guys, but I just want to keep it to big men. 

Dirk's fadeaway is certainly top 3 all time, but I couldn't put him over any of these guys, guessing he'd be top 20?... SO many guys to choose from, sure I'm missing some too who didn't cross my mind.

Dirk > Pau in the post, but it does depend on how we define the post. A lot of people, at least from what I've noticed, don't like to acknowledge the high post. Instead they just lump that into the mid-range game. But if you have a big man in the lane (which was what you had for all of the 2000s and at least half of the 2010s), then you do begin to notice the high post. 

Nowadays it might be non-existent though. But I do like to see players use back-to-the-basket moves and such.