Is Drew Brees overrated?

rocky_rams

Just now, wwhickok said:

You said you see Brees as basically the same player as Rivers with better coaching (paraphrasing).

I dont even think it's close. I can read just fine. 

Like I said, stick to your team since you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Having actually watched both play for the Chargers, I can say that they are very similar players. Maybe it's because Rivers learned under Brees, but have Rivers go to NO to be with Payton and Brees stay in SD and the careers would be mirrors of each other.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Like I said, stick to your team since you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Having actually watched both play for the Chargers, I can say that they are very similar players. Maybe it's because Rivers learned under Brees, but have Rivers go to NO to be with Payton and Brees stay in SD and the careers would be mirrors of each other.

I know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm talking about my opinion of two players I've watched frequently. 

I don't think Rivers is at the same level. That's my opinion. You dont have to agree me but you can hop off your pedestal at anytime. 

This is the NFL General forum if you dont want to discuss your team with other people maybe you should stick to to the LA Chargers forum.

If you cant disagree with someone without being disrespectful maybe stick to crocheting. 

Edited by wwhickok

21 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Didn't discredit Brees at all. Maybe stick to your own team if you don't even have basic reading comprehension. Or even the faintest idea of what actually happened in 2005 with Brees and Rivers.

Don’t attack his reading comprehension. Leave the personal junk out of this. Now

8 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm talking about my opinion of two players I've watched frequently. 

I don't think Rivers is at the same level. That's my opinion. You dont have to agree me but you can hop off your pedestal at anytime. 

This is the NFL General forum if you dont want to discuss your team with other people maybe you should stick to to the LA Chargers forum.

If you cant disagree with someone without acting like a jag off maybe stick to crocheting. 

No more personal stuff

I am inclined to believe a lot of NFL QB’s would have had great success under Payton. Rivers would have been better, Fitzpatrick would have been better, Flacco would have been better. Stick Brees in Baltimore in 2005, Flacco had what, 6 different offensive coordinators? Consistency goes a long way.

45 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

QB's I'd take over Brees All Time

Brady

Manning

Favre

Elway

Rodgers

Marino

Montana

Staubach

Unitas

Graham

Brees is in a club consisting of Steve Young, Warren Moon, Kurt Warner, Dan Fouts and others. Longevity giving him the gaudy stats over those others in the perfect era for it

The only thing Favre and Elway have over Brees is arm strength.

Simply lol at the final three QB's on your list. Did you even watch those guys play? Otto Graham played so long ago it was essentially a different sport. Staubach was a slightly above average QB on great teams with great coaching. I'll give you Unitas because he actually revolutionized the position at the time, but over Drew Brees? Please. 

Longevity and consistency is part of being an NFL QB. Its actually the sole reason why you don't have Steve Young in your top ten, because he wasn't great for long enough. Drew has been great now for basically 15 years.

Edited by Slingin' Sammy

13 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

If you cant disagree with someone without acting like a jag off maybe stick to crocheting. 

When you incorrectly say that I discredit someone like Brees who I think is great and is rated just fine, that's when you are wrong.

Just now, Xenos said:

When you incorrectly say that I discredit someone like Brees who I think is great and is rated just fine, that's when you are wrong.

I do think it's a discredit to Brees to suggest he is the same player as Rivers.

We can agree to disagree on that but in my opinion, you're wrong. 

3 hours ago, Slingin' Sammy said:

The only thing Favre and Elway have over Brees is arm strength.

Simply lol at the final three QB's on your list. Did you even watch those guys play? Otto Graham played so long ago it was essentially a different sport. Staubach was a slightly above average QB on great teams with great coaching. I'll give you Unitas because he actually revolutionized the position at the time, but over Drew Brees? Please. 

Longevity and consistency is part of being an NFL QB. Its actually the sole reason why you don't have Steve Young in your top ten, because he wasn't great for long enough. Drew has been great now for basically 15 years.

You have to factor in for era when debating Top QB's, or Dak Prescott and Jamies Winston would be considered an all time greats because they passed for 5000 yards

Elway and Favre played in Eras where is was a lot harder to complete a pass, Elway led his team to 5 SuperBowls and 2 wins

The club of QB's I put Brees in would all be interchangeable playing in the same era on the same team as Brees. They were all pass heavy offenses, that put up big numbers, era adjusted. Longevity doesn't make you a great player, it just means you played for a long time, Kinda like Frank Gore

On 1/5/2020 at 6:27 PM, rocky_rams said:

Majority thinks he’s top 10 all time, but is he? 

He owns very important QB records but save for the one SB win he hasn’t really done much in the playoffs. 

Last year a bad call went against them but he still had an opportunity to win but he ended up throwing a pick in OT against the Rams. 

This year the fumble cost them  

he’s had a good coach in Sean Payton and very talented teams that were at the top of their conference but he’s never been able to make much of it in the playoffs

is he overrated when people place him in Top 10 all time or is it justified? 

On 1/5/2020 at 6:35 PM, rocky_rams said:

Those guys aren’t widely considered Top 10 of all time 

On 1/5/2020 at 6:48 PM, rocky_rams said:

I think Young is but not Rodgers...yet

Just so many bad takes by a single poster in a single thread. I now see why people avoid the General forum.

Edited by Nick_gb