Is Drew Brees overrated?

rocky_rams

32 minutes ago, Ryan_W said:

he's certainly a nice fella.

not as many scandals as his betters

Maybe not directly, but he's indirectly associated with the only scandal that got a HC suspended for the year...

He's nowhere near involved, but worthy of note.

23 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Maybe not directly, but he's indirectly associated with the only scandal that got a HC suspended for the year...

He's nowhere near involved, but worthy of note.

What "indirectly associated" info is there other than he was on the same roster? Unless theres some information I didnt hear, Bree's association with Bounty Gate is best described by: "He's nowhere near"

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Leader said:

What "indirectly associated" info is there other than he was on the same roster? Unless theres some information I didnt hear, Bree's association with Bounty Gate is best described by: "He's nowhere near"

No, you're right. This was a rare moment when I became a "Well, actually" guy.

There is no relevance to Brees and Bountygate. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 2:45 AM, FalconFan13 said:

I think brees is a fantastic qb but i have always wondered how much of it is Payton's offense making him look that great compared to other qb's not in that offense with a mastermind like payton.   Like if say ryan and brees were to switch teams since the start of 08 and ryan was with the saints under payton this entire time in that offense would he put up as good, worse, or better numbers than brees.   On the flip side if Brees was with the Falcons under 5 or 6 different offensive coordinators and schemes how would he look having to swap out so much with lesser quality play callers.   I have 1st hand seen how much a difference a elite level play caller can make a qb look better with shanny here taking ryan to a mvp level and i think payton is every bit as good if not better than shanny is.   I still think Brees puts up very good numbers and is a very good QB but i don't know how much Payton helps him reach those extra levels. 

On 1/8/2020 at 12:12 AM, Silver said:

I am inclined to believe a lot of NFL QB’s would have had great success under Payton. Rivers would have been better, Fitzpatrick would have been better, Flacco would have been better. Stick Brees in Baltimore in 2005, Flacco had what, 6 different offensive coordinators? Consistency goes a long way.

Here's my question though, if Brees was the QB for those teams would they have needed to go through 5 coordinators over those years?  Especially with Atlanta and the weapons they've had at WR.  Honestly I can't think of a single year where I would say the Saints had a better receiving core than the Falcons during Brees' time with the Saints.  With the Ravens I can't remember how their weapons would compare to the Saints.

52 minutes ago, Raves said:

Here's my question though, if Brees was the QB for those teams would they have needed to go through 5 coordinators over those years?  Especially with Atlanta and the weapons they've had at WR.  Honestly I can't think of a single year where I would say the Saints had a better receiving core than the Falcons during Brees' time with the Saints.  With the Ravens I can't remember how their weapons would compare to the Saints.

The Falcons have generally had excellent talent at the WR position, but you're selling the Saints WRs short - they worked very well within the system Payton had. You can also look at the difference between Sean Payton and Mike Smith/Dan Quinn, neither of whom who could be described as offensive geniuses. The Falcons only had what I would call elite coaching for a period of 2 years (2015/2016 under Kyle Shanahan) - and that team soared to new heights with elite coaching. Once Kyle left, the coaching deficiencies of Dan Quinn became apparent (which is why I've been calling for his firing forever now).

Brees absolutely has had a better career than Ryan, but Ryan's had two miserable, mediocre old dudes as his head coaches as opposed to the offensive genius in Sean Payton. The one time we had an offensive genius in Atlanta, well, you saw the results. What if the NFC South had two elite coaches in it instead of one? The world will never know.

2 hours ago, Raves said:

I would say absolutely yes because the majority of them actually finished with good to great offense and it was our defense or lack there of that got the coaching crew fired lol.  I have never denied Ryan has had a good skill position group for the majority of his career.   What i will say though is Ryan has had one of the worst defenses supporting him and usually a below avg to garbage offensive line in front of him most of his career.   I would trade those skill position groupings ryan has had for a top tier defense and good o-line every single day of the week and honestly i don't think theirs any person on here who wouldn't have.   I have seen Ryan spread the ball to 13 different recievers for a TD in a year and have seen a #3 or 4 WR in Harry Douglas become a 1000+ yard #1 under Ryan when Julio and Roddy were out.   So im not sweating Ryan can make almost any skill position player good if given the time by his o-line.  

14 hours ago, Raves said:

Atlanta has always had a ton of guys to throw to.

Baltimore had at best, Anquan Boldin & Steve Smith on the downside of their careers. Best TE they had, Dennis Pitta who broke his hip the year after the Super Bowl, then at RB they had Ray Rice and we know how that ended. Most of their coordinators were fired, wasn’t like they were lighting it up. Save Kubiak, the one bright spot the 5 years after the Super Bowl, that team was a mess when it came to the offense. Of course that has changed...

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 10:51 PM, Raves said:

Hogwash, Rivers, Ryan, and Flacco have had better Wr core over the years. Fact is they just aren't as good.

2 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

He’s def in that 10-12 range but some fans have him top 6-7 which I believe would overrate him 

He is easily top 5 and Brees pad stats then so does Brady. Brees hasn't thrown for TD's in numerous games due to blow outs and they average just as many rushing TD's as any team in the league. With Brees average yardage and percentage you could argue that Brees moves the ball down the field and the Rb's poach TD's  from him. That would be idiotic teams score anyway they can. The fact they use Brees arm the majority just show his talent.

Edited by MrnastiesNO
Edit

11 minutes ago, MrnastiesNO said:

Hogwash, Rivers, Ryan, and Flacco have had better Wr core over the years. Fact is they just aren't as good.

He is easily top 5 and Brees pad stats then so does Brady. Brees hasn't thrown for TD's in numerous games due to blow outs and they average just as many rushing TD's as any team in the league. With Brees average yardage and percentage you could argue that Brees moves the ball down the field and the Rb's poach TD's  from him. That would be idiotic teams score anyway they can. The fact they use Brees arm the majority just show his talent.

No he’s not.

Name all the QBs you think are better than Brees all time

Edited by rocky_rams

1 minute ago, rocky_rams said:

No he’s not.

Name all the QBs you think are better than Brees all time

There are only2  BETTER than him and Brady isn't one of them. There are a few more GREATER than him and that include Brady. I don't look into Greatness to much for the example. Brees has a higher Regular season Qb rating and his rating goes up in the playoffs.  Brady has a worst Regular reason Qb rating and in the post season it drop considerably.  (That tell you alone that Brady accomplished wasn't to elevated play but to great teams.) How can you be truly the Greatest if your play didn't elevate in the playoffs and you were never actually the best QB while playing ever.

I prefer you answer the question why is Tom Brady's Qb rating 7 point lower in the playoffs than in the regulars seasons. He has the worst differential of all elite QB's .