My ideal offseason before the draft

soflbillsfan

Things I would like to see the Bills do this offseason in order to come back stronger next year.

Lorenzo Alexander has decided to retire so he will be missed and an OLB will need to fill his spot. Next move Fire DABOLL..Yes I know he is being discussed for HC opportunities but lets face it, his consistent up and down play calling has driven me nuts. The constant avoidance of running the ball and forcing Allen to throw 30+ times has never worked in their favor. The no run calls on 4th qtr and Overtime were a 9 out of 10 on the anger scale. The thing that made me a 10 that game on offense was they just got on the 30 yard line had 2 time outs left with 30 seconds left in half. You spend a timeout, 1st down you run with gore for a second, which leads to a spike to kill a down? What silly nonsense was that (got to keep it pg, this would have a ton of curse words in it). I am just over his antics and want him gone.

With the cap likely to go up between 197 and 201.5 I will stick with 200 to make it easy plus the roll over amount of 25.6 mil that puts them at 225.6, after contracts Bills are at 90 mil in cap space

Cuts:
Star: he hasn't shown his worth and they can clear 2.3 mil, with Harrison Phillips coming back and the emergence of Corey Liuget he is expendable. 
Trent Murphy: He has come on the last 2 games but he missed some key tackles yesterday that I though could have been big and thats been the case all year, his price tag is high and the bills can clear 7.2 mil
Tyler Kroft: The biggest disappointing signing of 2019 offseason, not only injured but useless when healthy, dropping key passes that could be easy and costing penalties that killed drives, this move can clear 4.8 mil
Lee Smith: the second biggest disappointing signing of 2019 offseason, this would be my top but Kroft cost more. To many mistakes from this guy that it is not worth the money, they can clear 2.25
Patrick Dimarco: I dont get the point of this guy's position anymore. He had 10 game of less then 10 snaps on offense. We can have Sweeney or Knox come in and play the hback in jumbo set for blocking, this will free up 1.8 mil.
Spencer Long: He had some snaps this year to play back up of the back up so is he worth the 4 mil next year? I dont think so this clears up 3.4 mil.
Matt Barkley: After watching week 17 is this the guy who can come in and play back up if Allen goes down with an Injury? It may be and it may not ideally moving on from him to bring in an upgrade would be ideal this move clears 2 mil. 
Two Guys I would like to put as fringe as they showed good and bad this year and both are ST players in Borj and Hausch. After seeing what is out there and seeing what they have these guys will be on the hot seat and have competition this year. I would like to see them spend a pick in the draft on either a punter or kicker and bring one in free agency but they will stay for now.
Total amount saved: 24 million making the cap space at 114 million

Retaining players:
Quinton Spain:  He has played almost every snap this season (missed 2) and did not give up a single sack. 3 years 27 million with 14.5 guaranteed, anchoring the LG for the next 3 years 
Jordan Phillips: He had the 2nd most sacks in the league for a DT. 4 years 38 million 25 guaranteed 
Cory Liuget: He came in and made an impact will work out great, he will rotate in with Harrison Phillips to secure the DT position 1 year 2 mil
Shaq Lawson: He came in and showed his own lately and believe he has some more room to improve 3 years 30mil with 16 in guarantees.
Kevin Johnson: He has shown he can be a solid back up corner and he can be had for fairly little amount my guess would be 2 years 7 mil, with the 1st year in guarantees
Robert Foster, Levi Wallace are both ERFA and would assume they will get this tag (about 600k each based on inflation of their 570k this year)
Isiah McKenzie RFA I believe they like what they have seen so far and will stick with the team. 800k- 1 mil
Ladarian Waddle: some may have forgotten about him because of his injury before the season got going, I would like to see him come back to buffalo and see what he can do 1 year 2 mil just like 2019.
Total cost for the year average: 38.2 mil in spending leaving the bills with 75.8 mil in cap space

Top needs:
Big Body Wr
Pass Rusher
OLB
TE
CB
#2 QB
RB
Additions: I am going to keep this simple and give the top few I think would be great additions some small ones dont matter at this point as it can be a guessing game
Jadeveon Clowney:  5 years 105 mil with 50 mil guaranteed. He is the top rusher that will likely be available as Seattle said they will not tag him. With the resigning of Shaq and keeping Hughes for atleast one more year means that RDE is set. Murphy being cut and Clowney being the size for that as he is playing it in Seattle this is an ideal situation for both sides. Yannick is to small to play LDE and I do not see him leaving Jax as much as I would like him in Buffalo. Caldwell and Marrone made it clear he is priority #1 and at worst get the tag.
Aj Green: Bills land a big bodied wr with veteran leadership and a guy who is a team player, works well with what Beane and Mcdermott want. After coming off a year and half to heal from injury he will make a splash for them 3 years 33 mil with 22 guaranteed
Austin Hooper: Bills need a true accountable TE and this is what Hooper offers to the table with the Falcons in flux and the cost of both Julio and Ryan they cant afford to pay another weapon 4 years 37 million. He is getting just shy of Ertz, Kelce, and Reed per year. 
Andy Dalton: Bills need a capable back up qb and whats not to like about Andy he was treated fairly good in Buffalo and is more then capable of being a step in if Allen goes down. 2 years 20 mil
These are the main guys I can see them going after. OLB and RB were options but the guys I think would go well with Singletary are to expensive and may want to look at after the draft in case they do not get one there. So this will cost the bills 51.25 mil leaving the bills with about 24-25 mil in cap space remaining.

Guys looking to get extensions in the next 2 years, Milano, Tre, Poyer, Hyde, Dawkins, and Feliciano which can be manageable as they will have a decent cap amount in 2021 as well.

Again this is before draft but the setup of 
Qb Allen/Dalton
RB Singletary/Yeldon
WR1 Green/Foster
WR2 Brown/Mckenzie
WR3 Beasley
TE Hooper/Knox/Sweeney
LT Dawkins/Bates
LG Spain
C Morse/Feliciano
RG Feliciano/Ford
RT Waddle/TY/Ford

RDE Shaq/Hughes
DT Jordan/Oliver
DT Harrison/Liuget
LDE Clowney/Johnson
SLB Milano/Joseph
MLB Edmunds/Stanford
WLB Thompson/Alexander
CB1 White/ Johnson
CB2 Levi/ Johnson
CB3 Taron/Neal
SS Poyer/Marlowe
FS Hyde

After FA the 5 draft position needs would be ideally
1. WR
2. WLB
3. Pass Rusher 
4. OLine
5. RB2

What would you change or what do you think should be added or removed. Prices are ball park so some may cost more or less but I believe the fits and needs are all there

On 1/6/2020 at 9:01 AM, BillsGuy82 said:

I don't see us making major FA signings. I think we'll focus on keeping our core together while adding depth. If we sign Clowney to that contract it means we're loosing one of White or Milano. White is gonna be the highest paid CB in the league soon.

White also has two years left on his deal. Milano has one year. I expect them to be able to extend players with the 20+ mil after these signings. Clowney, Phillips and Shaq may be tough to land all three but I would be fine going with clowney over Shaq and Phillips if it had to mean resigning white and milano. Phillips played great for us but the one thing is we brought Oliver in at pick 9 to step in to the spot Kyle Williams played is what the long term plan was Jordan having a solid season was a plus. Shaq has done nothing in his 1st 3 years and was another guy who started to come in to his own but if it prevented from landing clowney then I would take clowney all day. Also keep in mind the players I mentioned being cut will be adding to that cap. The bills have a ton this year and with those cuts will allow them to have a good amount next year to land poyer, milano, tre, and hyde.

On 1/5/2020 at 11:12 PM, Yibbyl said:

Just a quick FYI... Duke Williams got a cheap ($585K for 2020) 2-year contract last year. You didn't mention cutting him, so I expect we'd hang onto him just in case.

Yea I think he will be on the 90 man roster based on the need and cost for now. He will stick with the team in the offseason but i do not know if he will make the 53 man cut. Cutting him out right now doesnt seem like the beneficial move for the bills since he is so cheap.

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

White also has two years left on his deal. Milano has one year. I expect them to be able to extend players with the 20+ mil after these signings. Clowney, Phillips and Shaq may be tough to land all three but I would be fine going with clowney over Shaq and Phillips if it had to mean resigning white and milano. Phillips played great for us but the one thing is we brought Oliver in at pick 9 to step in to the spot Kyle Williams played is what the long term plan was Jordan having a solid season was a plus. Shaq has done nothing in his 1st 3 years and was another guy who started to come in to his own but if it prevented from landing clowney then I would take clowney all day. Also keep in mind the players I mentioned being cut will be adding to that cap. The bills have a ton this year and with those cuts will allow them to have a good amount next year to land poyer, milano, tre, and hyde.

Shaq is one of the best DE's against the run in the league and is developing as a pass rusher. Was there ever a season Clowney wasnt hurt?

16 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Shaq is one of the best DE's against the run in the league and is developing as a pass rusher. Was there ever a season Clowney wasnt hurt?

since when should you shy away from a player because of an injury, they didnt do it with morse nor kroft. Clowney is by far a superior pass rusher and run stopper then shaq is and just because he excelled in 1 season and sat back for the 1t 3 years he deserves 10+ mil? Clowney fills a need on the left side that lawson plays rightside. Clowney is a game changer. To me if the option had to come down ill pay clowney over shaq but we will see what happens. 

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

since when should you shy away from a player because of an injury, they didnt do it with morse nor kroft. Clowney is by far a superior pass rusher and run stopper then shaq is and just because he excelled in 1 season and sat back for the 1t 3 years he deserves 10+ mil? Clowney fills a need on the left side that lawson plays rightside. Clowney is a game changer. To me if the option had to come down ill pay clowney over shaq but we will see what happens. 

Because Kroft and Morse aren't getting 100+ million with 60+ guaranteed 

On 1/8/2020 at 12:19 PM, BillsGuy82 said:

Because Kroft and Morse aren't getting 100+ million with 60+ guaranteed 

100 mil part im not worried about, the guarantees are the issue but lets be real Clowney and Yannick are premier Pass Rushers. If the bills can resign Shaq before the market opens and at less than 10 mil a year they need to go after clowney to seal the other side and let Murphy walk. If Shaq hits the open market and so does Yannick then the bills need to go after Yannick as he is the ideal guy for the RDE.  The bills need to be more aggressive up front and getting a guy like clowney or yannick should be the move to make to improve their team via free agency. If they miss out on a veteran WR thats no big deal as they have beasley and brown along with a deep WR draft but if they miss on a premier pass rusher that can cause issues for the bills. Shaq had 6.5 sacks that led the pass rushers this year which is pathetic given the fact they were 12th in sacks. I just want a pass rusher who can get double digit sacks, if they think it is shaq then sign him but bring in someone opposite of him because Murphy isnt going to cut it. Pass rush is pretty weak in the draft and going for a guy at pick 22 to be your future pass rusher is worrisome.

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

100 mil part im not worried about, the guarantees are the issue but lets be real Clowney and Yannick are premier Pass Rushers. If the bills can resign Shaq before the market opens and at less than 10 mil a year they need to go after clowney to seal the other side and let Murphy walk. If Shaq hits the open market and so does Yannick then the bills need to go after Yannick as he is the ideal guy for the RDE.  The bills need to be more aggressive up front and getting a guy like clowney or yannick should be the move to make to improve their team via free agency. If they miss out on a veteran WR thats no big deal as they have beasley and brown along with a deep WR draft but if they miss on a premier pass rusher that can cause issues for the bills. Shaq had 6.5 sacks that led the pass rushers this year which is pathetic given the fact they were 12th in sacks. I just want a pass rusher who can get double digit sacks, if they think it is shaq then sign him but bring in someone opposite of him because Murphy isnt going to cut it. Pass rush is pretty weak in the draft and going for a guy at pick 22 to be your future pass rusher is worrisome.

I know sacks aren’t the end all be all, but you said you want a pass rusher that can get double digit sacks. If that’s the case then Clowney isn’t the guy since he’s never posted double digit sacks in a season. I am really not a fan of Clowney and I don’t think he’s worth the money. I would much rather sign Ngakoue if we make a big splash at edge rusher. He’s 2 years younger and has less of injury history.

Edited by Billsfaninptown

1 hour ago, Billsfaninptown said:

I know sacks aren’t the end all be all, but you said you want a pass rusher that can get double digit sacks. If that’s the case then Clowney isn’t the guy since he’s never posted double digit sacks in a season. I am really not a fan of Clowney and I don’t think he’s worth the money. I would much rather sign Ngakoue if we make a big splash at edge rusher. He’s 2 years younger and has less of injury history.

they are two different style Pass defenders. Clowney is usually the big guy playing LDE where Yannick is smaller and strictly RDE. We didnt have much issue between hughes and lawson but Murphy on the LDE side did jack this year. You can say the jets game which was meaningless then I believe he had a couple nice plays in Houston but 95% of the season he was nonexistent. I know Yannick is top option but I am basing him being tagged as Jags stated in their presser the #1 priority is to get Yan back for long term so I expect him to be tagged. Clowney is solid he may not have the sacks and even his injury history which shouldnt be dictated as that can be said by several players including Mario Williams who had a couple of bad injuries in Houston and came to Buffalo playing well without major issues. Other teams take the risk like Sammy Watkins and the Chiefs so I wouldnt put injury as a reason not to sign him. So to me if you have Shaq resigned I still think you take a shot at clowney because it would have a fortified dline that can cause havoc with shaq  oliver harrison and clowney. I would rather sink the money in to a top free agent pass rusher that can be the difference maker then settle for the same dline that they had this year with murphy and star. 

Sacks are definitely not the end all as they still managed to be 12th with an underwhelming pass rush but just think if they had someone. Those 3rd and longs where watson, or darnold are running free to create a play to develop are the backbreakers. If they had legit pass rushers on both sides then those qbs wouldnt have time to develop those plays even if its not a sack and they quickly throw the ball away it doesnt force the dbs to constantly run around to make sure the play cant develop.

On 1/5/2020 at 7:58 PM, soflbillsfan said:

Aj Green: Bills land a big bodied wr with veteran leadership and a guy who is a team player, works well with what Beane and Mcdermott want. After coming off a year and half to heal from injury he will make a splash for them 3 years 33 mil with 22 guaranteed

Green isn't leaving. If we can't reach a long term deal before the deadline, he will be franchise tagged. Also, no way he signs for that little money. Julio Jones just signed a 3-year, $66 million dollar contract extension. Green isn't settling in Buffalo for half of that.

On 1/5/2020 at 7:58 PM, soflbillsfan said:

Andy Dalton: Bills need a capable back up qb and whats not to like about Andy he was treated fairly good in Buffalo and is more then capable of being a step in if Allen goes down. 2 years 20 mil

It's very unlikely Dalton will settle for a back up role. He's much more likely to sign to a team where he at least has a chance to earn the starting role. And like Green, that's far too little money for him to be taking.

Just my two cents, from a Bengals fan.