GDT DIVISIONAL PLAYOFFS: Packers vs Seattle Seahawks

squire12

18 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Martinez is likely on the field for 100% of the defensive snaps. Pettine credited him for the defense doing better because of communication and he is the guy with the radio in his helmet.

Honestly I don’t know who is the backup radio guy... Amos?

Actually, I think it might be Za'Darius...

Everyone don’t worry... Martinez time is going to be over soon. They won’t pay him and they will likely draft a guy this offseason to replace him.

But for now he is your defense’s mouth piece and the guy getting everyone lined up. He will be changed out in 2020 in the offseason. Just ride it out with him for 1-3 more games.

26 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Everyone don’t worry... Martinez time is going to be over soon. They won’t pay him and they will likely draft a guy this offseason to replace him.

But for now he is your defense’s mouth piece and the guy getting everyone lined up. He will be changed out in 2020 in the offseason. Just ride it out with him for 1-3 more games.

Nobody is worried about Martinez being our current and future ILB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

That’s what a lot of people don’t get with Martinez.  His value is more than his physical ability.  It would be awesome to have a super fast playmaking ILB who can shed blocks and cover the fastest backs, but the number of those guys who can also call a defense and make the right reads and get everybody ready and do all the little stuff as well as Martinez can is like 4 in the NFL.  

I'm not talking about benching the guy, merely taking him off the field in obvious passing situations where his lack of athleticism is likely to be targeted and exploited. I would find it hard to believe that the Packers defense would be totally unable to communicate on a few downs now and then without Martinez on the field. For every conceivable situation where you'd want Martinez on the field for a 3rd and mid/long (spying on QB, covering an RB, covering a TE, etc.) I could point you to another player on the sidelines who would probably be the better option. Just seems like we're limiting ourselves there. 

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Ben Fennell -  I think it's important for the #Packers this week to give Bobby Wagner & KJ Wright as much 'eye candy' as possible... Do NOT give them easy/basic reads because they'll make every tackle. I loved the gameplan from LaFleur vs Dallas LBs. Seemed every run had additional elements.

Glad Fennell could watch the Titans game and learn what eye candy was from Romo

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'm not talking about benching the guy, merely taking him off the field in obvious passing situations where his lack of athleticism is likely to be targeted and exploited. I would find it hard to believe that the Packers defense would be totally unable to communicate on a few downs now and then without Martinez on the field. For every conceivable situation where you'd want Martinez on the field for a 3rd and mid/long (spying on QB, covering an RB, covering a TE, etc.) I could point you to another player on the sidelines who would probably be the better option. Just seems like we're limiting ourselves there. 

Why on Earth would you change anything about the pressure package right now?

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why on Earth would you change anything about the pressure package right now?

Greene being back opens up a possibility to use him in situations instead of your worst athlete on the field. We are playing a team that literally lives off of the scramble drill with Wilson whether he's scrambling or buying time so someone can free up, so I can think of plenty of situations where you might not want 50 on the field. 

You don't think Seattle is literally game-planning as I type this on how they can attack 50 in the passing game? 

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Greene being back opens up a possibility to use him in situations instead of your worst athlete on the field. We are playing a team that literally lives off of the scramble drill with Wilson whether he's scrambling or buying time so someone can free up, so I can think of plenty of situations where you might not want 50 on the field. 

You don't think Seattle is literally game-planning as I type this on how they can attack 50 in the passing game? 

Greene being back also involves the possibility of putting a really mediocre safety into a role he isn't familiar with as he's just getting back on the field, and also taking off your designate play relay guy on a team who runs a ton of screens, checkdowns, and zone reads on 3rd down. 

How many mediocre safeties do you want in the field? At some point you want somebody who can tackle in the back end. You're also not going to be blitzing A gap much with a safety.

We're a predominantly zone oriented team on the back end in the pressure package. Martinez has been absolutely fine in that role. You don't have to be a stud athlete to do it. You have to understand the route concepts and also understand that you may very well have to step up and make a play on a RB or QB draw because we only account for 4 running gaps against an offense that's going to have 7 even on 3rd and long with a QB who can actually run.

Wilson doesn't mean you need less Martinez, it means you need him more.

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Every team has players to exploit look at Seattles pass defence this year. Yet they have 2 great ILB's that everyone talks about. Blake has his issues like all our guys but he needs to be on the field. I would guess if we had a better compliment to him inside he'd have a buddy there to help on run downs.