GDT DIVISIONAL PLAYOFFS: Packers vs Seattle Seahawks

squire12

8 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

this stuff is pure horsebologna and I hate that we do it.  They need to enforce a 1 quarter ban or a timeout if player stops the game

Problem is, how can anyone really distinguish between a legitimate injury or not?  I'd hate for our team to be charged a timeout every time one of our guys goes down legitimately.    

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Problem is, how can anyone really distinguish between a legitimate injury or not?  I'd hate for our team to be charged a timeout every time one of our guys goes down legitimately.    

if it's a legitimate injury, losing a quarter of play seems fine!  Let the guy take the quarter off and actually see if he's capable of coming back in the game.  If he's not worried about getting back in the game, then a timeout is the right price to pay!

21 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

this stuff is pure horsebologna and I hate that we do it.  They need to enforce a 1 quarter ban or a timeout if player stops the game

The most common injury I'd say is cramps where a player needs to be stretched out and then is fine to go back in. I don't see a rule like this ever gaining ground, not would I be interested in seeing it happen.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

The most common injury I'd say is cramps where a player needs to be stretched out and then is fine to go back in. I don't see a rule like this ever gaining ground, not would I be interested in seeing it happen.

Yeah things like cramps, groin shots, stingers, getting the wind knocked out of you, etc. are all injuries that are valid to stop play for but also don’t carry a real need for a full lost quarter imo

• Like 1

people faking injuries has been going on since at least the NYG superbowl runs.  I'm all in favor of rules that benefit the defense over the offense, and this certainly wouldn't be one of those.

It just doesn't seem fair at all when the defense is getting their *** whooped and the defender decides enough is enough I'm going down for a rest so we can substitute and regroup.

How about "out for the rest of the possession" is that a fair middle ground?

Edited by skibrett15
  • Like 1

The one thing I was surprised with last night is how little Jamaal Williams got to tote the rock. Especially with a lead, in the cold, I'd figure we'd give him some carries. Jones is clearly the better runner, but I would love to see us be able to control the ToC and use them as a 1-2. Should also keep Jones fresh (his size always worries me). Reckon MLF just thinks Jones is the guy and wants to keep feeding him, but 1 touch for WIlliams feels low. 

8 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

people faking injuries has been going on since at least the NYG superbowl runs. 

Accepting the above comment as true (although there's no factual basis for it) - so what? How's the game suffered? It's been hardly noticeable.

2 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

The one thing I was surprised with last night is how little Jamaal Williams got to tote the rock. Especially with a lead, in the cold, I'd figure we'd give him some carries. Jones is clearly the better runner, but I would love to see us be able to control the ToC and use them as a 1-2. Should also keep Jones fresh (his size always worries me). Reckon MLF just thinks Jones is the guy and wants to keep feeding him, but 1 touch for WIlliams feels low. 

jones was coming off an extra week rest there, probably was ready and looked to have pretty good burst all game to me. i expect williams to get some extra workload next week.

the good

i don't recall the packers being 50/50 run pass in a post season game in my lifetime. amazing that williams didn't get more in that regard, and speaks well for Jones.

i also don't recall ever watching a packers game and thinking to myself 'wow mike mccarthy really has this defense figured out'. we would routinely win on the arm of favre or the out of this world play by rodgers, but yesterday it was clear in the first quarter that rodgers was using motion to diagnose the defense and then creating favorable matchups for himself. it was really fun to watch and i think MLF has turned a new leaf for rodgers which will extend A-rod's career. 

MLF has so many layers to his offense and so much seems to be setting up future plays with similar looks but different targets. they seem to be very aware of their tendencies and when to break them.

kenny clark continues to be disruptive. pay the man

the bad

our running game is productive, but it we did not impose ourselves on many run defenses this year. Jones is turning small lanes into home run hits. 3rd and 2 is a passing down next week against 49ers.

bulaga being sick is scary. injury to either tackle will definitely give the 49ers a huge advantage. clowney really gave us problems yesterday... and the 49ers are stout all the way across their line

jenkins stepping on a-rods foot could be problematic. hopefully he is not too limited but he definitely came up gimpy.

blake martinez won't be able to tackle henry and that titans OL would shut the smiths down

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

^Actually, I’ve always felt like Martinez is better against the bigger backs and worse against the smaller ones.  He isn’t pushing anybody back, but Martinez is as sure a tackler (purely tackling) as you can get.  

i see martinez routinely make contact and then the runner fall over top of him for the length of their body and some. even if he hits henry in the backfield, he will be dragged for 5-8 yards

Edited by HokieHigh

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

if it's a legitimate injury, losing a quarter of play seems fine!  Let the guy take the quarter off and actually see if he's capable of coming back in the game.  If he's not worried about getting back in the game, then a timeout is the right price to pay!

Meh, I think there's a damn good reason there's a "one-play" rule in effect.  If you get hit in the nards and go down, you're definitely hurt, and you're definitely going to need a quick breather.  Can't take that dude out of the game for a full quarter - that would kill some teams, depending on the player.  Why screw with the rule the way it is now when it works most of the time? 

Just one thing that hasn't really been brought up but that "marker" everyone is using to make the new yellow line, saying the TV one isn't official. That marker.....isn't official. That's the other side of the chains. They just throw that ****er down. It was probably close but it is also not "official." AFAIK anyways, maybe I'm off here.

Edited by Norm
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Norm said:

Just one thing that hasn't really been brought up but that "marker" everyone is using to make the new yellow line, saying the TV one isn't official. That marker.....isn't official. That's the other side of the chains. They just throw that ****er down. It was probably close but it is also not "official." AFAIK anyways, maybe I'm off here.

Yeah the reference mark is the chains on the other side of the field. That one is probably still a lot more reliable than the TV yellow marker though. If you keep an eye on it, the yellow line moves like half a yard over the course of the play on broadcast.