Lions trade Darius Slay and a 4th to Oakland for 19 and a 6th.

Lions Trade Jarrod Davis for a 7th

lions trade down in the draft with San Diego who wants to jump Miami for their QB.  Lions send #3 for #6, #38, 2021 1st.  

Lions Cut Ricky Wagner

Lions Re-sign Mike Daniels, 2 yr 8M
Lions Re-sign Danny Amendola 1 yr 3M

Lions Sign Jack Conklin, 4 yr 42M

Lions sign Bud Dupree, 4 yr 34M

Lions sign Shelby Harris, 3 yr 24M

Lions sign Trae Waynes, 3 yr 21M

Draft:

Rd 1. Pick 6 - Jeffrey Okudah, CB Ohio St.  He replaces Slay as our top CB. 

Rd 1 Pick 19 - Neville Gallimore, DT Oklahoma.  He is a big lineman that we can move around and get pressure up the middle. 

Rd 2 pick 35 - Terrell Lewis, OLB Alabama. Another addition to add pressure and stop the run.  

Rd 2 Pick 38 - Creed Humphrey, OG Oklahoma.  Fills in for Glasgow and builds a strong right side with Conklin. 

Rd 3 - KJ Hamler, WR Penn St. Adds to our WR depth and adds that deep threat we need to spread the field. 

Rd 5 - Kyle Dugger, S Lenoir-Rhyne.  Small school S with a lot of potential and athleticism. 

Rd 5 (Sea) - AJ Dillon, RB Boston College.  Fills that power back roll but has the ability to carry a bigger load if/when KJ goes down. 

Rd 6 - D’ante Smith, OT East Carolina.  Versatile lineman that has potential.  Needs to gain weight but solid depth. 

Rd 6 (Oak) - James Morgan, QB Florida International. Definitely need to continue to find the right back up.  Likely will start on the PS but has potential. 

Depth Chart:

QB - Matt Stafford, Jeff Driskell
RB - Kerryon Johnson, AJ Dillon, Bo Scarborough, Ty Johnson
WR - Kenny Golladay, KJ Hamler
WR - Marvin Jones, Marvin Hall
WR - Danny Amendola
TE - TJ Hockenson, Jesse James, Issac Nauta
LT - Taylor Decker, Tyler Crosby, D’ante Smith
LG - Joe Dahl, Beau Benzschawel
C - Frank Ragnow
RG - Creed Humphrey
RT - Jack Conklin, Tyler Crosby

DE - Trey Flowers, Romeo Okwara
DT - Shelby Harris, Mike Daniels
DT - Neville Gallimore
DE - Deshawn Hand, Austin Bryant
OLB - Bud Dupree, Jalen Reeves Maybin
MLB - Jalani Tavai
OLB - Terrell Lewis, Devon Kennard
CB - Jeffrey Okudah, Amani Oruwariye
CB - Justin Coleman, Trae Waynes 
FS - Tracy Walker
SS - Will Harris, Kyle Dugger

• Like 1

I like the final product.

A few notes:

- The draft value of #6 and #38 is already greater than #3. Their extra 1st round pick, although delightful, appears to be way too much value and highly unlikely. (I'd love it, of course.) Edit: this was shown to be inaccurate, the Darnold trade being one clear example. Teams have, at times, far exceeded the trade value chart for a QB. Not frequently, but absolutely possible. Good trade.

- Letting Glasgow walk kills me, as I imagine how dominant that line would look with him starting over Dahl. I may prefer Glasgow over one of the free agents in this scenario. (Love the Conklin signing, though.)

Team looks good.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway
Edit in bold.
1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I like the final product.

A few notes:

- The draft value of #6 and #38 is already greater than #3. Their extra 1st round pick, although delightful, appears to be way too much value and highly unlikely. (I'd love it, of course.)

- Letting Glasgow walk kills me, as I imagine how dominant that line would look with him starting over Dahl. I may prefer Glasgow over one of the free agents in this scenario. (Love the Conklin signing, though.)

Team looks good.

I read an article that showed the values based on the draft chart, the 2016 method created based on projected career value, and then one based on what has actually happened over the last 10 years.  If teams want to move up for QBs, or even WRs like Julio, they are giving a ton.  It might be a 2nd next year instead but if someone wants their QB, they are giving up more than just a 2nd to move up.  But even without that, I’d be happy with this outcome. 

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I read an article that showed the values based on the draft chart, the 2016 method created based on projected career value, and then one based on what has actually happened over the last 10 years.  If teams want to move up for QBs, or even WRs like Julio, they are giving a ton.  It might be a 2nd next year instead but if someone wants their QB, they are giving up more than just a 2nd to move up.  But even without that, I’d be happy with this outcome. 

Makes sense, although I don't think the Julio Jones trade is a good example of giving a "ton". The Falcons traded up to #6 from #27, which is what necessitated adding a (late) 2nd, a (late) 4th and their future 1st round pick. (The difference from #6 to #27 is, in itself, a late 1st round pick, so their future 1st in this scenario is due to the significant value difference between those picks.)

The Eagles moved to #2 from #8 for Wentz (moved higher from lower), so they also would've had to give significantly more than SD in this mock. Moving from #8 to #2 is worth a top 15 pick in itself, while moving from #6 to #3 is only worth an early 3rd round pick. (The difference in draft value from #2 to #3 is, in itself, a late 1st round pick, and the drop from #6 to #8 is a late 3rd round pick. The Eagles gave a current 3rd and 4th, plus a future 1st and 2nd. They got a future 5th back. This trade falls fairly close to the trade chart.)

Other notable QB draft trade-ups: Jared Goff (from #15 to #1, which necessitated the Rams giving two 2nds, 3rd, future 1st and future 3rd), Josh Allen (from #12 to #7, the Bills giving two 2nd round picks), Josh Rosen (from #15 to #10, the Cards giving a 3rd and a 5th) and Patrick Mahomes (from #27 to #10, the Chiefs adding a 3rd and a future 1st). Another interesting trade was the Bears moving up to #2 from #3 for Trubisky, the Bears giving a 3rd, 4th and future 3rd.

The trade that appeared most similar to your mock was the Jets moving up for Darnold, in which the Jets traded #6, #37, #49 and a future 2nd for #3. (Lower future pick but an additional mid 2nd in the current draft.) In this example, it appears that the Jets' offerings were nearly right in step with what you have SD giving in your mock, so credit to you.

It seems like most of the trades are pretty close to the revised trade value chart, although the Darnold trade appears to be considerably more, and right where you have it. In that case, I stand corrected: your mock trade isn't "way too much value" nor is it "highly unlikely": if a team falls in love with Herbert or Tagovailoa, which I'm guessing happens in the mock, they may absolutely be willing to exceed the trade value chart in the way you have here. Lets hope that happens!

@TL-TwoWinsAway I didn’t want to quote all of that but it is pretty much what it said here in this updated draft chart.  Even down to the fact the Jets overpaid but it all depends on the talent pool at the top.  I believe with the number of teams needing QBs, that Tua and Or Herbert will have separates themselves enough to where teams are going to need to move up for them if they want one.  It could also be Jacksonville or Carolina, or Tampa (Although Tampa would them have to give more IMO) but there will be competition, similar to what the Bears had to do when they moved up for Trubisky or miss out on him.   

Honestly I’d almost rather whoever wants to move up for a QB moves to 2nd leaving Chase for us.  That’s about the only scenario I really want to stay at 3. 

https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/4/21/17256758/2018-nfl-draft-value-chart-rich-hill

8 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

@TL-TwoWinsAway I didn’t want to quote all of that but it is pretty much what it said here in this updated draft chart.  Even down to the fact the Jets overpaid but it all depends on the talent pool at the top.  I believe with the number of teams needing QBs, that Tua and Or Herbert will have separates themselves enough to where teams are going to need to move up for them if they want one.  It could also be Jacksonville or Carolina, or Tampa (Although Tampa would them have to give more IMO) but there will be competition, similar to what the Bears had to do when they moved up for Trubisky or miss out on him.   

Honestly I’d almost rather whoever wants to move up for a QB moves to 2nd leaving Chase for us.  That’s about the only scenario I really want to stay at 3. 

https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/4/21/17256758/2018-nfl-draft-value-chart-rich-hill

Yeah, I'd absolutely love that. In my opinion, keeping Glasgow, signing Conklin and drafting Chase would propel this team forward significantly, and would be my ideal outcome. (We'd still have additional picks and cap space to add other pieces.) I've just assumed that Chase is off the table, but a team could absolutely jump for Tua or Herbert.

3 hours ago, BZski said:

Draft is solid but I don't like the Conklin and Waynes FA signings as you overpaid IMO. Maybe a little too much Sparty kook-aid?

Eh, I am a Sparty but Conklin put up another great year.  3 of his 4 years he has been a top 10 RT in the league, best in league one year.  He had a down year last year but will get a big contract.  I based Waynes off of Coleman’s. If Coleman got 10, Waynes will get 7.