Divisional Round: VIKINGS (11-6) at 49ers (13-3)

swede700

18 minutes ago, burlow said:

Well if you guys make it past us I will pull for yall the rest of the way.  One thing that has not be mentioned is our RBs, Brieda in particular, he got injured and then put a ball on the ground.  He should be healthy and is quick like lightning, expect a lot off miss direction, reverses and play action.  Shanny will probably try to get your LB crop moving in one direction and then hit the other side and mix it up so much that he will try to get your LBs to never be certain that their first move is the correct one.  

I am most scared of Cook, also Shanny might get dirty and use his time with Cousins against him.  Should be a great game and wish that we could play Green Bay instead here.

I get what you're saying, but quality QB's and RB's and all the other so-called skilled players don't matter much if their line play is horrible. The Vikings have traditionally had solid line play but this group is edging from not so bad to pretty okay. Not a ringing endorsement and I'm a fan, dude. If they can take on the Niners front they way they did the Saint's front, it's gonna be interesting. If they don't, the Niners walk off the field waiting for who's next.

Initially, this matchup scares me more than the game against New Orleans, but the path to victory is also more likely against the 49ers.

Expected W/L had both the Saints and Vikings as 10.7-5.3 win teams, mostly outperforming their expectation via Teddy's 5-0 streak, where the Saints technically went 4-0 in one score games, the least likely of which was the game in Seattle, where the Saints had both a punt return and fumble return for their first scores of a game that ultimately ended 33-27. San Francisco, however, is a whole different animal. Second in expected win/loss at 11.8-4.2, only behind Baltimore. 2nd in the NFL in scoring at 29.9 PPG. And the 8th best scoring defense, only allowing 19.4 PPG.

Every skill player on the 49ers is terrifying. Not a single meaningful offensive skill player for the 49ers averages less than 8.1 yards per target, except Tevin Coleman (6.0 yards/target). 49ers also have the correct statement that Tevin Coleman tends to start despite being the least effective runner out of their trio of backs. Coleman averages 4.0 yards/rush,  Bredia averages 5.1 yards/rush and Mostert 5.6 yard/rush. But Shanahan also loves jet sweeps, with TEs and WRs averaging almost 2 rushes per game.

Oh and their leading receiver is George Kittle, with 1053 on the year and 12.4 yards/reception. With his size, I would lean on Kearse to cover Kittle primarily, although bracketing with Barr and another safety is possible to free up Kendricks to cover Kyle Juszczyk or whichever RB is currently in

Now the way to neutralize all of that (and home field advantage) is to win the turnover margin. This scared me against New Orleans since they had 8 total turnovers on the year (that includes Bridgewater's games), 6 INTs and 2 fumbles lost (on 8 total fumbles). While Kirk had 6 INTs on the season and had lost 12 fumbles lost (on 30 total fumbles). San Francisco has a much greater propensity to turn the ball over, with Jimmy Garoppolo having the league average of 13 INTs on the season and the 49ers lost the league average of 10 fumbles. This means the Vikings defense should have a much easier time creating turnovers against the 49ers. The key issue for me is that the 49ers defensive line play helped them force 23 fumbles, tops in the NFL.

The good news is that the 49ers are far less formidable on the offensive line, with their center Weston Richburg out for the year and no All Pro or Pro Bowl selections on their unit, although both Joe Staley and Mike McGlinchey are both technically sound tackles. I think it will be difficult for the Vikings to generate sacks, however, due to Jimmy G's lightning quick release.

The 49ers, despite having the best Pass Defense in the league, allowing only 5.2 yards/completion and 169.2 yards/game, have a much worse rush defense than the Saints did, who only allowed just under the NFL average at 4.2 yards/carry. I don't understand how a team with DeForest Buckner gives up 4.5 yards/rush and 112.6 yards/game, but I would expect a heavy dosage of Dalvin Cook and Alexander Mattison again this game.

The Vikings also have a huge advantage in the red zone again this week, scoring TDs 61.7% of the time, while SF allows a TD on 60% of opponent red zone possessions. The 49ers, on the other hand only score TDs on about 53.2% of their red zone appearances, while Minnesota has one of the best marks in the league allowing TDs only 44% of the time.

Last thing I will add is that oddly again, San Francisco is a better road team than home team this year, going 6-2 at home and 7-1 on the road. Vegas also rates them as 9.5 points above average at home, compared to 11.6 points above average on the road.

Edited by Nozizaki
  • Like 4

Is Xavier Rhodes out for this game?  He looked crazy hurt in that Saints game but fought through it at least.  I assume Hughes and Alexander are out or not?  If not I am curious what made them so injured a week ago against the Saints and now they are fine?

That interior OL of the 49ers we could take advantage of putting Odenigbo on the edge and Hunter in the middle at times.  Jaleel has been better of late so that helps in the middle also.  

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Is Xavier Rhodes out for this game?  He looked crazy hurt in that Saints game but fought through it at least.  I assume Hughes and Alexander are out or not?  If not I am curious what made them so injured a week ago against the Saints and now they are fine?

That interior OL of the 49ers we could take advantage of putting Odenigbo on the edge and Hunter in the middle at times.  Jaleel has been better of late so that helps in the middle also.  

Hughes is on IR. Possibly getting Alexander back this week. Havent heard anything on Rhodes.

1 hour ago, Nozizaki said:

. I don't understand how a team with DeForest Buckner gives up 4.5 yards/rush and 112.6 yards/game, but I would expect a heavy dosage of Dalvin Cook and Alexander Mattison again this game.

We run a wide 9 on the front. Y2 and I knew stopping the run was going to be an issue back at training camp and talked about it on the podcast. It's been a topic of conversation a lot. Just not a great front to stop the run, which why you guys are a terrible matchup. We are designed to stop the pass from front to back. 

Have to take the good and bad, I guess, but it can be frustrating

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nozizaki said:

Last thing I will add is that oddly again, San Francisco is a better road team than home team this year, going 6-2 at home and 7-1 on the road. Vegas also rates them as 9.5 points above average at home, compared to 11.6 points above average on the road.

This is true. Also something I have mentioned in our forum. It was more important to get the bye (health reasons) and keep home field from the Packers and saints then it was for us to actually get to stay at home. 

We have a 50/50 shot at crushing it, or dropping a complete dud at home

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Possibly getting Alexander back this week.

Vikings cornerback Mackensie Alexander did not play in Sunday’s win over the Saints because of a knee injury and he may be heading for the operating room to address the issue. Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that Alexander is consulting with doctors to see whether he needs surgery. Alexander has reportedly been diagnosed with a small tear to his lateral meniscus.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/06/mackensie-alexander-meeting-with-doctors-may-have-knee-surgery/

Just now, vike daddy said:

Vikings cornerback Mackensie Alexander did not play in Sunday’s win over the Saints because of a knee injury and he may be heading for the operating room to address the issue. Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that Alexander is consulting with doctors to see whether he needs surgery. Alexander has reportedly been diagnosed with a small tear to his lateral meniscus.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/06/mackensie-alexander-meeting-with-doctors-may-have-knee-surgery/

Good season Alexander. Seen you next season!

• Like 1

Just now, TENINCH said:

Shannahan is a great coach so I'm sure he'll work on something with his defense to slow down our run game.

Don't bank on that. He's hands off with the defense because he is our OC as well. Defense is entirely on Saleh (not inspiring) as far as I'm aware

• Like 1