Divisional Round: VIKINGS (11-6) at 49ers (13-3)

swede700

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

A lot of youth and very little playoff experience on that roster. I think it’s an understated factor in this game. 

It's understated because it may not be a thing. It's really impossible to know. I don't know why the playoffs would be any different from a week 17 showdown with Seattle in Seattle for the division and #1 seed on the line, and the team was fine. The 49ers and Alex Smith had no playoff experience in 2011 when they took on the Saints, and Smith somehow managed to engineer two drives in the final 4 minutes to give the 49ers the win. And then others crap the bed. It's one of those things you just have to wait to see it in the game.

The first one doesn't always "carry more nerves"....some people just don't operate that way and it has no effect on them at all. Then others completely crumble. I have no idea if Jimmy G is one of those are not, though his play in situations somewhat like that are promising. But really, it's hard to say. We will all know on Saturday lol

2 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I don't know if I agree with this. The first one always carries more weight/nerves. I'm going to guess that it takes the a little longer for the 49ers offense to settle in that it does for the Vikings.

It's not like Jimmy G has never been to the playoffs ether. 

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's understated because it may not be a thing. It's really impossible to know. I don't know why the playoffs would be any different from a week 17 showdown with Seattle in Seattle for the division and #1 seed on the line, and the team was fine. The 49ers and Alex Smith had no playoff experience in 2011 when they took on the Saints, and Smith somehow managed to engineer two drives in the final 4 minutes to give the 49ers the win. And then others crap the bed. It's one of those things you just have to wait to see it in the game.

The first one doesn't always "carry more nerves"....some people just don't operate that way and it has no effect on them at all. Then others completely crumble. I have no idea if Jimmy G is one of those are not, though his play in situations somewhat like that are promising. But really, it's hard to say. We will all know on Saturday lol

You really don't know until the game but I think that there is a little higher chance that the more inexperienced team plays a little tight.

Or they could play like there is nothing to lose and the more talented and/or better coached team will win

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

You really don't know until the game but I think that there is a little higher chance that the more inexperienced team plays a little tight.

Or they could play like there is nothing to lose and the more talented and/or better coached team will win

Kind of where I am at. It's the same with the Vikings being on a slightly short week. In theory, it should work against the Vikings. Slightly shorter week, less full practice ability, travel. But honestly, I have no idea whatsoever if that will actually affect the vikings much, if at all. We will find out on Saturday. 

There are definitely intangibles working for and against each team in this one, I just have no idea how those specific things can be judged beforehand or who ends up getting the better of it. 

Just now, Forge said:

Kind of where I am at. It's the same with the Vikings being on a slightly short week. In theory, it should work against the Vikings. Slightly shorter week, less full practice ability, travel. But honestly, I have no idea whatsoever if that will actually affect the vikings much, if at all. We will find out on Saturday. 

There are definitely intangibles working for and against each team in this one, I just have no idea how those specific things can be judged beforehand or who ends up getting the better of it. 

The Vikings also struggle in grass often times but they dominated against the chargers. Of course that was basically the home crowd

7 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

What is your point? I thought a new Thielen injury might be of interest leading up to the game.

Oh, it's no knock, it is of interest, but unless they say something further than just limited, I'm not too concerned about it, because everyone is often limited now.  

• Like 1

Tight end Kyle Rudolph thinks the quicker turnaround made it easier for the team to avoid getting too high off of last week’s win.

Rudolph: “Being on a short week forces you to mentally put it aside.”

Rudolph said he also thinks that it helps that many members of the team were around two years ago when the Vikings got a last-second win over the Saints and then, per Rudolph, “laid an egg” in a blowout loss to Philadelphia. The goal is to avoid a similar outcome this week regardless of the circumstances.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/09/kyle-rudolph-thinks-short-week-creates-better-focus-for-vikings/

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

given that he got a cut on his ankle and said he got tangled up, i'm guessing he got a cleat to the ankle? 

pretty painful and definitely not ideal to happen a few days before a big game. my money would be on him being less than 100% on saturday.