Divisional Round: VIKINGS (11-6) at 49ers (13-3)

swede700

7 minutes ago, Wundy said:

If our interior line can neutralize their pass rush I like our chances.

How different is this SF team from the one we beat in the Season opener last year?

Quite different. Dee Ford and Nick Bosa are huge additions. Emmanuel Sanders and Deebo Samuel. Other big additions I'm sure also but those 4 come to mind.  

58 minutes ago, Wundy said:

How different is this SF team from the one we beat in the Season opener last year?

From a roster standpoint, there's a ton different, and then there is just some health / time difference. 

From a roster perspective, you have the additions of Deebo and Sanders on the outside. Basically, our two starting wide receivers weren't even on the roster last year against you. 

Defensively, you add Dee Ford, Nick Bosa, Kwon Alexander...all of whom are pretty big additions. But also Dre Greenlaw, Emmanuel Moseley. 

Then you have time / experience considerations. That game against you last year was Jimmy's like 6th career start or whatever, I think? Richard Sherman was fresh off an achilles injury and has nearly two full years of recovery now and an all pro season this year. Fred Warner was a rookie playing his first game. Mike McGlinchey was a rookie playing in his first game, and because the team took some injuries in that one, he ended up playing guard, a position he hadn't played since high school and hasn't played since lol

Oh, and we have a different punter :P

1 hour ago, Wundy said:

That's basically what I said in the 49er forum. I honestly think that it just comes down to which line holds up  /does the best. I don't think there's much more to it than that. Sure, but quarterbacks / offenses are capable of cratering on their own even if the lines held up, I just doubt that it would happen. The rest of the positions have advantages for each side, so there will be good plays from each team. Getting to the opposing quarterback is just going to be huge for each team. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's basically what I said in the 49er forum. I honestly think that it just comes down to which line holds up  /does the best. I don't think there's much more to it than that. Sure, but quarterbacks / offenses are capable of cratering on their own even if the lines held up, I just doubt that it would happen. The rest of the positions have advantages for each side, so there will be good plays from each team. Getting to the opposing quarterback is just going to be huge for each team. 

Either way, like the Saints game, it should be an entertaining one...and likely the most entertaining (at least from those who like to see running attacks) game of the weekend.  Well, at the whole Saturday will be a running affair.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VIKINGS101011 said:

Quite different. Dee Ford and Nick Bosa are huge additions. Emmanuel Sanders and Deebo Samuel. Other big additions I'm sure also but those 4 come to mind.  

George Kittle is the one who worries me the most.  He is an awesome player who can make game changing plays.  It's astounding he lasted until the 5th round of the draft.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

George Kittle is the one who worries me the most.  He is an awesome player who can make game changing plays.  It's astounding he lasted until the 5th round of the draft.

No doubt Kittle's an absolute animal. He's got a couple inches and a few pounds on Irv, but it would be sweet If Irv could come close to eventually being that kind of threat.

1 hour ago, VIKINGS101011 said:

No doubt Kittle's an absolute animal. He's got a couple inches and a few pounds on Irv, but it would be sweet If Irv could come close to eventually being that kind of threat.

Definitely!  Irv should be a good one too before he's done.

I remember reading an article earlier this year about how much Shanahan wanted to sign Cousins in 2018 off-season once after he became head coach of SF. Even Cousins apparently thought during 2017 that it was pretty likely he would become a Niner in the following year. That Jimmy G trade kinda changed everything. 

• Like 1

I am not as confident about the 49'ers game as I was quietly confident about the Saints.  The Vikings always play the Saints tough and it was a dome game.  The Vikings haven't been as good outdoors as they have been inside.

33 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I am not as confident about the 49'ers game as I was quietly confident about the Saints.  The Vikings always play the Saints tough and it was a dome game.  The Vikings haven't been as good outdoors as they have been inside.

The natural-grass is the next hurdle to overcome.

Seventy-five percent of the field has been eliminated, including the last three SB champions. You don't get here if you don't have some guys that can play ball. Trends and history mean nothing. It seems a sophisticated game with the coverages and schemes and whatnot, but I played the game. A lot of you did, too. I wasn't very good, but sometimes I won and that was because I put on the chinstrap and bashed the guy across the line harder than he bashed me; which did really hurt, sometimes, but winning was worth it.

It's a primal game. Our big sons of ******* against their big sons of *******. Analyze whatever you want, but the better set of sons of ******* tend to win. Get the nachos and beer and rock on, just remember it ain't life and death.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, mediumlebowski said:

Seventy-five percent of the field has been eliminated, including the last three SB champions. You don't get here if you don't have some guys that can play ball. Trends and history mean nothing. It seems a sophisticated game with the coverages and schemes and whatnot, but I played the game. A lot of you did, too. I wasn't very good, but sometimes I won and that was because I put on the chinstrap and bashed the guy across the line harder than he bashed me; which did really hurt, sometimes, but winning was worth it.

It's a primal game. Our big sons of ******* against their big sons of *******. Analyze whatever you want, but the better set of sons of ******* tend to win. Get the nachos and beer and rock on, just remember it ain't life and death.

Well if you guys make it past us I will pull for yall the rest of the way.  One thing that has not be mentioned is our RBs, Brieda in particular, he got injured and then put a ball on the ground.  He should be healthy and is quick like lightning, expect a lot off miss direction, reverses and play action.  Shanny will probably try to get your LB crop moving in one direction and then hit the other side and mix it up so much that he will try to get your LBs to never be certain that their first move is the correct one.  

I am most scared of Cook, also Shanny might get dirty and use his time with Cousins against him.  Should be a great game and wish that we could play Green Bay instead here.