Jay Glazer: new hc is mccarthy

Texas_OutLaw7

9 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Honest to God question Matts. Is this you?

lol - I am not sure why you would think that. But no, he is a famous youtuber who also post on Reddit. He actually has become so famous that he is now invited to ESPN/FoxSports/Games/Dallas Media team/etc

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

lol - I am not sure why you would think that. But no, he is a famous youtuber who also post on Reddit. He actually has become so famous that he is now invited to ESPN/FoxSports/Games/Dallas Media team/etc

I just see you link his videos constantly. So I was genuinely curious. 

16 hours ago, BayRaider said:

The Packers splurged on defense... I'm talking about the Packers Offense which was stale and dry since 2013. Rodgers was carrying McCarthys outdated scheme and vanilla play calling on his back for six seasons.

They should IMO hire an OC and not install McCarthys Offense. McCarthy is a good leader and good HC in that department. But when it comes to X's and O's he's ten years behind.

It sounds like he spent offseason studying new offensive concepts. Why he didn’t do that in GB I don’t know. Pride, hubris, complacency?

It doesn’t take a veteran coach years to learn a new or different concept. More like a two hour session with someone who can explain the thinking behind it.  

Always been the case in football.  And most coaches don’t keep secrets either. They freely teach each other and even do clinics.  

16 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It sounds like he spent offseason studying new offensive concepts. Why he didn’t do that in GB I don’t know. Pride, hubris, complacency?

It doesn’t take a veteran coach years to learn a new or different concept. More like a two hour session with someone who can explain the thinking behind it.  

Always been the case in football.  And most coaches don’t keep secrets either. They freely teach each other and even do clinics.  

Haha, I promise you that Mike McCarthy had "2 hour working knowledge" of these concepts before his season off.

42 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Haha, I promise you that Mike McCarthy had "2 hour working knowledge" of these concepts before his season off.

He is saying different.  Of course if you want to assume all coaches are omniscient then go ahead. One thing to have general knowledge another to get into nitty gritty of something and know solutions and have answers to counter moves, etc.  

A lot of people in these forums think they understand things, but let them try to coach what they think they know and it's a whole different ball game.

Just now, dll2000 said:

He is saying different.  Of course if you want to assume all coaches are omniscient then go ahead. One thing to have general knowledge another to get into nitty gritty of something and know solutions and have answers to counter moves, etc.  

A lot of people in these forums think they understand things, but let them try to coach what they think they know and it's a whole different ball game.

This is football history.  Constantly learning, copying and evolving and also recycling old things, and combining old things to make something a little different.

One team starts running wishbone, then two then other coaches are scrambling to learn it.

One team starts running single back zone blocking out of spread gun, then two ...

A lot of time a concept or play starts out as a joke and gets laughed at.   Or it can't work at this level ... Then it becomes a thing.  

Everyone laughs at Chip Kelly, but ask Andy Reid how much he copied off him when he came to NFL.  Then everyone copied Andy Reid.  

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

My goodness

*You* are the one who said it should only take 2 hours for a coach to learn a new concept. My point exactly is that it's far more complicated than that and 2 hours is not nearly enough time to "get into nitty gritty of something and know solutions and have answers to counter moves, etc."

Just now, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

My goodness

*You* are the one who said it should only take 2 hours for a coach to learn a new concept. My point exactly is that it's far more complicated than that and 2 hours is not nearly enough time to "get into nitty gritty of something and know solutions and have answers to counter moves, etc."

2 hours for a concept.  Like 4 verts is a concept. Like smash is a concept.  Like IZ or OZ is a concept.  

A veteran coach can pick that up in 2 hours easy one on one with a white board and some one who knows what they are talking about.  Because a lot of info is redundant to things they already know and grasp.

Obviously an entire new scheme altogether would take longer, but not as long as people think.  Of course there is no substitute for actually doing it and that takes time.  

That is probably why McCarthy didn't change schemes for so long.  He felt like he knew his scheme inside and out and had built in answers for whatever a defense could do.  A lot of coaches do that.  Most do.  

You still need to change things up a bit and evolve as you go.  Otherwise you get predictable. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

A veteran coach can pick that up in 2 hours easy one on one with a white board and some one who knows what they are talking about.  Because a lot of info is redundant to things they already know and grasp.

And again, to my original post, I promise you he had this level of understanding of these various concepts. 

39 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:
1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

And again, to my original post, I promise you he had this level of understanding of these various concepts. 

Im not sure what @dll2000's point is. He moved the goalpost. 

McCarthy clearly had a basic "2-hour" understanding of probably every offensive concept (and defensive) ever run in the history of the NFL. What he probably did not have is the:

1. Analytics behind using multiple offensive schemes

2. Complex understanding of how to implement the scheme. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

From The Athletic

"McCarthy was fond of saying coaches in the NFL get what they emphasize...
...and that emphasizing the giveaway-takeaway ratio was the only way to go.
In 204 regular-season games with McCarthy at the helm, the Packers finished plus-97.

They also were plus-6 in his 18 playoff games, 10 of which were victories.

Like much of Jason Garrett’s 9 ½-year tenure in Dallas, Garrett’s work in the most important aspect of winning was average. In his 152 regular-season games, the Cowboys finished minus-2 in turnover differential. In his five playoff games, they were plus-1 "

• Like 1

More from Sturm:

Strategy

• McCarthy is the opposite of Garrett in many ways regarding conservatism. He ranked fourth in number of 4th downs attempted across his tenure, and ranked last in rate of run plays on first down.

• He challenges plays far more often than Garrett

Things you probably know

• Third most wins in the league during his tenure (behind NE and PIT)

• Third most playoff wins (behind NE and SEA)

• Second most conference championship games played (after NE)

• Super Bowl win

Issues/concerns

• His offense became stale and predictable toward the end of his Packers tenure, though it seems that that is a major thing he has been working on in his off-year

• He often took his foot off the gas in games the Packers led, relying on his lackluster defenses.

Sturm's thoughts on overall fit

• McCarthy should be good for Dak's growth, given what he was able to do with Favre's late career and Rodgers

• Sturm initially thought McCarthy wasn't a legit candidate because he likes to have control of the team. Could be a sign that the FO is willing to take more of a step back?

• The team has hired someone outside of their comfort zone of people directly or tangentially related to the team, a good sign.