Jay Glazer: new hc is mccarthy

Texas_OutLaw7

42 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Maybe I'm cynical, but it won't surprise me if we are sitting here a year from now wondering why we aren't the analytics dream team.

"Statistics are for losers" people rarely change their stripes. And even if they want to, their instincts tend to hold them back from applying data well.

Even still, McCarthy will be a fine coach. He and the staff he's put together are a certain upgrade from what we've had. But I'll believe it when I see it on the analytics stuff.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Maybe I'm cynical, but it won't surprise me if we are sitting here a year from now wondering why we aren't the analytics dream team.

"Statistics are for losers" people rarely change their stripes. And even if they want to, their instincts tend to hold them back from applying data well.

Even still, McCarthy will be a fine coach. He and the staff he's put together are a certain upgrade from what we've had. But I'll believe it when I see it on the analytics stuff.

Did you see Sturm's stuff about how Garrett and McCarthy (from 2010-2018) were essentially diametric opposites in terms of 1st down run:pass ratio and 4th downs in the first three quarters? The stuff McCarthy's been saying this week can sound idealistic, or even be rhetoric, but the evidence exists that he'll help optimize some of our trends regardless.

McCarthy earned this reputation of conservatism through two bad short FGs to start the game in their 2014 NFCCG loss. I like to think he's learned from that mistake over the course of 5 years, while his predecessor was about as stuck in the mud as it gets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Maybe you've been hanging out with plan and Dave too much?l

All kidding aside, it's definitely a possibility. I'm just going to assume, that if he says it, he's going to do it and hope that he doesn't get in his own way.

Hope springs eternal.

Edited by WizardHawk

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

Did you see Sturm's stuff about how Garrett and McCarthy (from 2010-2018) were essentially diametric opposites in terms of 1st down run:pass ratio and 4th downs in the first three quarters? The stuff McCarthy's been saying this week can sound idealistic, or even be rhetoric, but the evidence exists that he'll help optimize some of our trends regardless.

McCarthy earned this reputation of conservatism through two bad short FGs to start the game in their 2014 NFCCG loss. I like to think he's learned from that mistake over the course of 5 years, while his predecessor was about as stuck in the mud as it gets.

Ok, so here is my opinion on this:

Things like 4th down aggressiveness should not be considered "advanced analytics". It's established, clear-cut practice consistently implemented by good football coaches. I agree, that items like this separates McCarthy from the likes of Garrett and other mediocre-to-bad coaches, and all by itself will upgrade our chances of winning.

Does Mike McCarthy's have the ability to really grasp data and probability concepts to the level that he can use advanced analytics to create minor advantages that, over 2,000+ snaps in a season, compound to a big advantage? Can he use analytics to create space between him and the coaches who already use play action and pass on first down? I'm skeptical, honestly.

But the truth is there are very few organizations, in football and the real world, that do it really well. I am excited about finally having someone competent enough to understand that hitting when you have 7 in blackjack is not an aggressive move, it's just the right choice. That alone will make us better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

All kidding aside, it's definitely a possibility. I'm just going to assume, that if he says it, he's going to do it and hope that he doesn't get in his own way.

Hope springs eternal.

I am very optimistic about our staff right now. I'm just not buying the analytics dream team ideas we're being sold. That's all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I am very optimistic about our staff right now. I'm just not buying the analytics dream team ideas we're being sold. That's all.

Given McCarthy’s tendencies to be more aggressive in essentially all situations...I’d say even if he doesn’t buy in completely to analytics, he’s already an upgrade over the previous regime.

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

Hope springs eternal.

Well, he would be in fine  company if that were the case. ;)

23 minutes ago, D82 said:

Well then...

Saw this yesterday. Seems like more crappy journalism from Slater. What did the text actually say? Was it "F U" or was it a nonchalant attitude? What was it regarding? When did it happen? 

I really hate this type of half-arse reporting. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, D82 said:

Given McCarthy’s tendencies to be more aggressive in essentially all situations...I’d say even if he doesn’t buy in completely to analytics, he’s already an upgrade over the previous regime.

Yup, as I expanded on in my subsequent posts, I completely agree with this statement.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2020 at 9:44 AM, D82 said:

As long as he doesn’t do idiotic things like (among others) icing his own kicker, punting on 4th and inches on the opponents’ 40 yard line, abandoning the run in the 1st quarter when trailing by 3, etc., we should be fine.