Jay Glazer: new hc is mccarthy

Texas_OutLaw7

Alright, here are my thoughts:

McCarthy will do better with the Cowboys than he did with the Packers. 

Everybody likes to blame him for Rodgers, but Rodgers is the only one to blame for Rodgers.  Rodgers will not throw over the middle.  Rodgers will not take chances.  Rodgers at this point in his career is his own worst enemy. 

Randall Cobb just hit a career high in YPC with the Cowboys because he is a quintessential slot receiver who does his best work over the middle.  Crossing routes, slants, etc.  Rodgers flat out did not throw to him when he was open.  There are 10,000 plays in the past 5 years alone where Rodgers has an open player over the middle that he will not throw to.  It's infuriating.  McCarthy's offense wants to attack the middle.  In fact, the one thing he has requested time and time again has been a tight end to attack the middle of the field.  He got Jimmy Graham.  Still an average TE, but not what McCarthy needed. 

Additionally, he had Ted Thompson as gm for 7 years.  Seven years of slim to nothing for free agent acquisitions or aggressive moves in the draft.  Thompson was a good GM when he was hitting on his draft picks.  He stopped hitting on his draft picks. 

The Packers didn't win this year because they brought in laFleur and he changed the offense and made Rodgers better.  None of that.  He won this year because Gute (our GM) went out and signed two EDGE rushers, a new starting safety and a new interior offensive lineman.  He also nailed two draft picks in Savage and Jenkins. 

From last year to this year the Packers added PLUS starters at EDGE, EDGE, Safety, Safety, guard, guard.  When you improve significantly at SIX spots, you're gonna have a better record. 

Aaron Rodgers played better last year than he did this year.  His YPA and passer rating were better last year. 

The one thing that held McCarthy back in his time in Green Bay other than the final two years when the talent was decimated and injuries occurred was defense. 

If Jerry can give him a good defense, McCarthy is going to do very well, and the Cowboys are now (or should be) the favorites to win their division AND compete for a Super Bowl immediately. 

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Biggest things to watch are who comes in as DC and what happens with ST.  Anyone have any information on MM's ST units when he was in Green Bay?  Also I hope the talks of analytics are true but I also can't see Jerry getting on-board with all of that wizardry at this point in his life. 

I read a post yesterday in a thread in Gen. (Yes, I actually went over there and wished I hadn't as soon as I walked in the door, but I digress). Anyway, it was an informative post and his ST's were not that good under MM, in his assessment anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Northland said:
57 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

So many people that could have at least been interviewed. (sigh)

Jerry is clearly not a patient man. He wants to win now. Which we have the roster for, but damn. 

I mentioned the win now mindset re McCarthy on another post.  Would have liked to have seen more interviews.  Maybe a year away has humbled McCarthy a bit.  Don't hate the hire but don't love it either.

Given the number of interviews with other teams (Carolina twice), I think if Dallas didn't jump now, he probably wouldn't have been available by weeks end. 

I'm not a huge fan of the big push, but based on that premise I get it. 

1 hour ago, eagles suck said:

McCarthy wants full control in playcalling. Kellen will not have a voice

Link or is this just you speculating? 

1 hour ago, textaz03 said:

Tom Pelissero just said on NFL Network that Mike Nolan is the guy to watch out for, for Defensive Coordinator

he’s currently LB’ers coach for Saints

If he gets Nolan, I think this will be a solid staff.