Jay Glazer: new hc is mccarthy

Texas_OutLaw7

12 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Most of his success came from 2007-2012. After that he got much worse as a coach every year and made zero modifications to his playbook. He's had two of the best QBs of all time (something he won't have in Dallas even though I like Dak).

Much of the packers fan seem to echo that Ted Thompson was the problem because he wouldn't supply talent to MM. Thoughts?

Bit unfair to MM that after he was canned they went out and relived TT and splurged in FA and found immediate success? I'd like to hear your thoughts again on this.

You could be right but so far all the reasoning to your conclusion sound shaky at best.

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

Just now, canadaluvsdallas said:

Much of the packers fan seem to echo that Ted Thompson was the problem because he wouldn't supply talent to MM. Thoughts?

Bit unfair to MM that after he was canned they went out and relived TT and splurged in FA and found immediate success? I'd like to hear your thoughts again on this.

The Packers splurged on defense... I'm talking about the Packers Offense which was stale and dry since 2013. Rodgers was carrying McCarthys outdated scheme and vanilla play calling on his back for six seasons.

They should IMO hire an OC and not install McCarthys Offense. McCarthy is a good leader and good HC in that department. But when it comes to X's and O's he's ten years behind.

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Nolan has had some really good defenses and some really bad ones. His stay in Atlanta was quite forgettable.  

Atlanta 2012-2014

ppg: 6th \ 27th \ 26th
Total D: 24th \ 27th \ 32nd
Takeaways: 6th \ 25th \ 8th

Miami 2010-2011

ppg; 13th \ 6th 
Total D: 10th \ 15th 
Takeaways: 29th \ 27th

Denver 2009

ppg: 12th
Total D: 2nd
Takeaways: 9th

Baltimore 2003-2004

ppg: 2nd \ 5th
Total D: 3rd \ 6th
Takeaways: 2nd \ 5th  

That's a pretty mediocre resume tbh. I think i could have coached the Baltimore defense and been successful.

I guess I'm hoping Dallas looks elsewhere, but it appears this is a done deal too. 

EDIT:

Falcons was really his only bad stop, and that team was deft of defensive talent. Still is. 

1 hour ago, Ace5 said:

Insisted on playing chido and Anthony brown over jourdan Lewis because they're taller when Lewis repeatedly showed that hes better in every way. No thanks. 

Mike Nolan is officially DC according to bleacher report.

I dont like KR. That said, Lewis graded worst out of all our CBs in terms of yardage and points given up per a play. People just fell in love because he also made splash plays. 

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Just joking around man. Obviously as soon as the McCarthy news broke I thought, "I can't wait to hear from the Raiders fans on this hiring!" 

Same raiders fan who has Dak ranked like 19th in the league and said he was going to drop him after the season was over. He also has Carson Wentz like #6 or something insane. 

21 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

The Packers splurged on defense... I'm talking about the Packers Offense which was stale and dry since 2013. Rodgers was carrying McCarthys outdated scheme and vanilla play calling on his back for six seasons.

They should IMO hire an OC and not install McCarthys Offense. McCarthy is a good leader and good HC in that department. But when it comes to X's and O's he's ten years behind.

It appears by most Packers fans on the this site, Reddit and news/beat reporter articles that Arod and Thompson were also a huge factor in the poor performances.

Additionally, he has an OC. One that he praised for innovation *before* being hired with the Cowboys. Name is Kellen Moore, might of heard of him. Coached a top tier offense his first year. 

Edited by Matts4313

14 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

sorry if already mentioned, but Mac is said to be open about bringing back our young OC.. Thoughts?

I think if MM is serious about learning from past failures and forward thinking, then the appropriate thing to do would be to hold on to the young asst you inherited, who just so happened to coached one of the top offenses in the NFL....growing pains aside. 

McCarthys Background: 13 seasons as coach of the Packers. (125-77-2) from 2006-2018 including a Super Bowl Title in 2010. Six seasons as Offensive Coordinator for the New Orleans Saints and San Francisco 49ers

Fowler: The Cowboys made a win-now hire with a coach with a .613 winning percentage, 10 playoff wins, and a Superbowl Ring. Lets see if McCarthy has truly learned from the final years in Green Bay, which featured a stale offensive attack. He has experience navigating a storied franchise. But how does this address an underachieving defense, Dan?

Graziano: Well, lets see who McCarthy picks to run that defense. The name everyone is looking at is Haslett, one of the former coaches who has been working with McCarthy during his year off. But so far there has been no announcement on that. Im also interested to see what he does with the offensive coaching staff, since Cowboys ownership is enamored with Kellen Moore and might want to give him a chance to develop. Lots of questions still to answer here, but fundamentally, this hire does what most of these hires should do: ignores the old "offense/defensive guy" debate and picks a capital H, capital C Head Coach. You had to figure teams would lean this way after everybody went with inexperienced guys last year, no?

Fowler: Yeah, and with a fairly weak coordinator pool, Rivera and McCarthy were well-positioned to dominate the coaching cycle. Some teams simply dont have the patience for a grooming job. Dallas' culture is steeped in the Jones way, and no HC is changing that. But the Cowboys do need fresh ideas, a new voice in the building, and accountability. Some players believe that message got stale and some guys were overworked, contributing to bad late-season play. How do you like McCarthys chances to impact the locker room?

Graziano: Always helps when you can stand in front of players and show them a Super Bowl Ring. Gets their attention. The biggest thing for a new coach is to get the buy-in, and McCarthys past success will help with that. Look, man, i cant find anything wrong with this hire. Did McCarthys offense get stale in GB at the end? Sure. It happens. At this point, i take the guy at his word that he learned from how it ended there, and i see a team with a win-now roster hiring a coach who has done a bunch of winning.

Grading McCarthy to Dallas

Fowler: B+ Leaving some wiggle room here since McCarthy had his issues with in-game management, which doomed Jason Garrett. But every other box is checked here, assuming he gets the right assistants.

Graziano A I feel the same way i did about Rivera to Washinton. Whether he brings in his own playcaller or stays with the guys in place, the point is McCarthy knows how to do this job.

http://insider.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/28395340/grading-new-nfl-head-coach-hires-experts-predict-how-fare

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Good. I think a fresh start is needed for both parties.

I can't say that McCarthy was my first choice, probably wasn't even my second or third. But, we'll see how things go. At least it wasn't Marvin Lewis. I'm interested to see what sort of scheme Nolan will bring in to run on D, what I do know though is both he and McCarthy seem to like big NT's, so maybe this is the year we finally pay attention to the interior of our DL.