When to pick the next QB?

WindyCity

I am very torn on what to do here as it is clear that the Bears are going to be in the market for a new starting QB in the draft at some point over the next couple of seasons.

Do you draft one in 2020, that you like, even if it requires move in the draft? This way that player can legit sit and learn for a year behind the Trubisky vs the Veteran competition.  Nagy and Ragone could bring them along slowly and develop them in the system.

Or do you wait till 2021 when you have more ammunition? Even though that player may need to get on the field much sooner than might be ideal.

If Truby sucks this year then it’ll potentially put us in a good place for one next year. Otherwise I don’t wanna really draft someone like Fromm lol cause a. He kinda sucks and b. If Trubisky thinks he’s getting ousted then any chance of some coming to light, coming to god season might be gone 

You draft one in the 3rd (trade down) or 4th this year. It's foolish to draft one and be done. We need multiple shots at goal to find a legit QB. The 2021 draft should be about drafting a QB in the first if nothing has worked for us. 

• Like 1

2021 please.  The lack of ability to get a good QB at any sort of value in the 2020 draft, coupled with the teams needs in other areas, kind of makes 2020 a lost year unless Trubisky or INSERT ****TY VETERAN QB HERE really takes off.  

Bringing them along in a system that may not be here in 2021, for a coach who might be elsewhere right now, doesn't seem like a good use of limited resources. 

I think it's sink or swim time for Pace and Nagy, they have to either fix the mess or make room for someone else. Best case scenario remains that Trubisky somehow gets good next year. Oof. 

42 minutes ago, Tyty said:

If Truby sucks this year then it’ll potentially put us in a good place for one next year. Otherwise I don’t wanna really draft someone like Fromm lol cause a. He kinda sucks and b. If Trubisky thinks he’s getting ousted then any chance of some coming to light, coming to god season might be gone 

10 sucked worse than we could have imagined this season and the entire team regressed.

We are picking 19.

19 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'd prefer to get a young reserve this year like Gordon in the 5th and then someone to really take over the starting gig in 2021. I'd try to sell the farm to make a big jump. 

I think Gordon goes 2-3.

He is just steadily climbing like Jimmy G did.

If you have a QB graded at the top of your board when your turn comes up, then you pick him.

While there’s not a Dak or Wilson in every draft, there are sometimes prospects worthy of mid round selections who eventually succeed in spite of their flaws. If you think one of those guys fits your scheme and that you can work through those flaws, pick the guy and let him compete.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

10 sucked worse than we could have imagined this season and the entire team regressed.

We are picking 19.

Through 29 regular season games in this offensive scheme:

Trubisky: 64.7% / 6361 yards / 41 TDs / 22 INTs / 6.7 YPA / 88.7 rating

Wentz: 61.51% / 7078 yards / 49 TDs / 21 INTs / 6.76 YPA / 88.8 rating

Smith: 62.57% / 6267 yards / 41 TDs / 13 INTs / 6.76 YPA / 91.3 rating

Foles: 61.74% / 7050 yards / 47 TDs / 17 INTs / 7.66 YPA / 94.8 rating 

I don't think it's a stretch -- at all -- to say that Trubisky is right on par with the other productive QBs in this scheme.

Edited by G08

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

Through 41 regular season games in this offensive scheme:

Wentz: 63.95% / 10465 yards / 73 TDs / 28 INTs / 7.04 YPA / 93.2 rating

Smith: 63.12% / 9259 yards / 53 TDs / 16 INTs / 6.98 YPA / 92.1 rating

*Foles: 62.9% / 8703 yards / 58 TDs / 23 INTs / 7.3 YPA / 93.2 rating 

So Trubisky is right on par with his cohorts except for when it comes to TD production. Clearly red zone inefficiency is a huge issue, as is big play potential resulting in TDs.

*40 game data set

Even if the stats lined up,  you'd be hard pressed to have watched all of the Bears' games and saying Trubisky is playing at the level of a Wentz or good-year Smith.  Foles is really hard to evaluate for me, as he's turned having an outlier game into a career somehow. 

3 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Through 41 regular season games in this offensive scheme:

Wentz: 63.95% / 10465 yards / 73 TDs / 28 INTs / 7.04 YPA / 93.2 rating

Smith: 63.12% / 9259 yards / 53 TDs / 16 INTs / 6.98 YPA / 92.1 rating

*Foles: 62.9% / 8703 yards / 58 TDs / 23 INTs / 7.3 YPA / 93.2 rating 

So Trubisky is right on par with his cohorts except for when it comes to TD production. Clearly red zone inefficiency is a huge issue, as is big play potential resulting in TDs.

*40 game data set

In what way are his stats on par with the others lol

4 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Even if the stats lined up,  you'd be hard pressed to have watched all of the Bears' games and saying Trubisky is playing at the level of a Wentz or good-year Smith.  Foles is really hard to evaluate for me, as he's turned having an outlier game into a career somehow. 

My original numbers were wrong, I updated the post. Trubisky's data set was 29 games, the others were 41.