When to pick the next QB?

WindyCity

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The problem with Trubisky is that he has regressed a great deal.

His stats are going the wrong way and there are a lot of disturbing issues that have popped up like his deteriorating pocket presence and not being able to read a defense.

He has. I think having a garbage run game and the 6th lowest time to throw in the league didn't help, but the point remains.

Kid has a lot of work to do if he wants to be the franchise, I don't think anyone discounts this.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Or do you wait till 2021 when you have more ammunition? Even though that player may need to get on the field much sooner than might be ideal.

Then you're talking about a rookie. And while a rookie will probably win a Super Bowl soon, that's not a notion to hang your hat on.

Mitch is a bust. The defense is championship caliber. You have have to scramble mightily to fix the position IMMEDIATELY. This year, next year, the year after that. Whatever it takes. 

6 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

This is not a lesson we really needed, but the Bears right now are a perfect example of why it's better to get the QB right instead of landing a historic defense and hoping the offense can keep up.  Our defense has given us a small window that's already half closed, while teams with great QB play are going to be in contention for the better part of a decade. I'm sick of it.  I would be totally onboard with gutting this team and tanking in 2020 and not letting up until we're sure we've got a QB.  Even after that, keep drafting project QBs to keep strong in the position.  Then get your Mack.  Of course, I say this in January. Come September it's "please please win this game!"

Though didn't Pace do what you said to do. He drafted Kevin White #7 and Mitch Trubisky #2. He has tried to build the offense. Pace just has screwed up a lot of his picks on offense. He drafted Trubisky and then landed Mack to elevate a Top 10 defense. The Trubisky pick is why he traded for Mack.

7 hours ago, G08 said:

@RunningVaccs  @Tyty

Through 29 regular season games in this offensive scheme:

Trubisky: 64.7% / 6361 yards / 41 TDs / 22 INTs / 6.7 YPA / 88.7 rating

Wentz: 61.51% / 7078 yards / 49 TDs / 21 INTs / 6.76 YPA / 88.8 rating

Smith: 62.57% / 6267 yards / 41 TDs / 13 INTs / 6.76 YPA / 91.3 rating

Foles: 61.74% / 7050 yards / 47 TDs / 17 INTs / 7.66 YPA / 94.8 rating 

Trubisky had about 4 good games out of 15 this year. He has had  4 great games which has padded his stats up.I bet he has thrown about 33% of his TD passes in 4 games.  For the most part he has been below average as an NFL QB.  Nagy needs to help him by tweaking the system to help him though as he is at his best when allowed to move and rollout. He would be perfect in a more run based offense with roll outs and play passes. That goes against what Nagy wants to do though.

I think Trubisky  might be better then Josh Allen of Buffalo though as a QB.

My view is that unless someone falls into our lap, we don't have enough draft capital to move for our guy.  Plus I don't trust Pace to move for "his guy" at this point anyways. 

I would say pick up a veteran, whether thats a guy like Foles, Mariota, or some other veteran to push Trubisky, and draft a QB only if he falls into your lap.  Otherwise, focus everything on TE and OL, which will have a much more immediate impact and can give us the best chance at getting decent play with Trubisky. 

The thing with this is, I don't see Nagy and Pace remaining with the team if they don't manage to make Trubisky at least a serviceable starter for next season.  If they make a move for a QB, and the team regresses again, then we have yet another regime inheriting a QB from the past Coach/GM and pressure internally to try and make that player work.

Edited by TankWilliams
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

My view is that unless someone falls into our lap, we don't have enough draft capital to move for our guy.  Plus I don't trust Pace to move for "his guy" at this point anyways. 

I would say pick up a veteran, whether thats a guy like Foles, Mariota, or some other veteran to push Trubisky, and draft a QB only if he falls into your lap.  Otherwise, focus everything on TE and OL, which will have a much more immediate impact and can give us the best chance at getting decent play with Trubisky. 

The thing with this is, I don't see Nagy and Pace remaining with the team if they don't manage to make Trubisky at least a serviceable starter for next season.  If they make a move for a QB, and the team regresses again, then we have yet another regime inheriting a QB from the past Coach/GM and pressure internally to try and make that player work.

x10000

11 hours ago, TB 1 said:

Though didn't Pace do what you said to do. He drafted Kevin White #7 and Mitch Trubisky #2. He has tried to build the offense. Pace just has screwed up a lot of his picks on offense. He drafted Trubisky and then landed Mack to elevate a Top 10 defense. The Trubisky pick is why he traded for Mack.

They need to both try, and to get it right!

My point is that repeated success requires a good QB. Even the best defense is going to be shorter lived than a QB career. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ColGerBear said:

If you pick a QB late this year and another one early next year you'll have a situation like Washington with RG3 and Kirk. I don't think that's healthy.

Especially when the back up starts a game or two next year and does okay.

I feel like "having to pick between 2 good options at QB" is low on the concern list for Bears fans in 2020, right behind pelicans taking over Solider Field. 

• Like 3

On 1/6/2020 at 10:24 AM, WindyCity said:

I am very torn on what to do here as it is clear that the Bears are going to be in the market for a new starting QB in the draft at some point over the next couple of seasons.

Do you draft one in 2020, that you like, even if it requires move in the draft? This way that player can legit sit and learn for a year behind the Trubisky vs the Veteran competition.  Nagy and Ragone could bring them along slowly and develop them in the system.

Or do you wait till 2021 when you have more ammunition? Even though that player may need to get on the field much sooner than might be ideal.

How many coaches actually develop late round QBs?

4 hours ago, ColGerBear said:

If you pick a QB late this year and another one early next year you'll have a situation like Washington with RG3 and Kirk. I don't think that's healthy.

Especially when the back up starts a game or two next year and does okay.

Not sure that comparison is all that comparable.  The Redskins gave up 3 FRPs to select RG3, and looked quite a bit better than Trubisky did in their first 3 seasons.  The Bears didn't invest too much into Trubisky in comparison giving up a pair of 3rd round picks and a 4th round.  That's a far cry from the package the Redskins gave up to get RG3.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Not sure that comparison is all that comparable.  The Redskins gave up 3 FRPs to select RG3, and looked quite a bit better than Trubisky did in their first 3 seasons.  The Bears didn't invest too much into Trubisky in comparison giving up a pair of 3rd round picks and a 4th round.  That's a far cry from the package the Redskins gave up to get RG3.

1) In my example Trubisky is out of the picture next year and we pick the QBOTF either late this year or early next year.

2) My point was Kirk more or less openly wanting to get as far away as possible from the organization that drafted him, because he was only drafted as a replacement and treated as such. The "yeah you played okay but we drafted you later than our guy and you'll have to sit on the bench" treatment.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

How many coaches actually develop late round QBs?

Depends on how high your requirement is to be deemed "developed." It isn't a major stretch to be able to get a late rounder to become a serviceable reserve, or even if they become journeyman to be a spot starter. I have no issues spending a 5th every other year just to take a swing on landing a long term reserve that has the system down. 

Now drafting late and getting Brady, Cousins, etc is an outlandish expectation of any coach. Expecting a long term starter that late is unrealistic, those guys being so good was crazy good luck. 

Even with my kids I can mirror drills so two people can get equal reps at multiple spots. I'm sure pros with real coaches could work it around. They won't get equal snaps or attention, but should show enough for the staff to see that they may have hit their goal wirh that pick or they missed.