2020 Offseason News and Discussion - Bargain Hunting

Kiltman

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

the fallacy of your argument is that the eagles can just draft receivers and not trade tight ends. They have 8 draft picks not zero. 

My argument is the redistribution of talent to better set up the team as a whole. Taking away Goedert or Ertz to improve a more important and more deficient position. How is this not valid? I’m not suggesting you trade a good CB2 or a RT to help other positions. I’m suggesting you trade a guy that, maxed out, is playing 55% of your snaps to possibly upgrade a position that was absolute garbage the year prior and will play 90% of the snaps. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Because trading your best and most reliable offensive weapon when you are a team in need of reliable offensive weapons is a bad idea and you should feel bad

Clearly you’ve made your opinion on how you feel about two TE sets. I don’t know how anyone watching the Eagles last year saw a passing offense that was any good or dangerous. 

Wasn’t Jordan Mathews a reliable target? But what did you get throwing to him 100 times a year?  Granted, the TE position is different. And it’s not as if I’m suggesting to just trade Ertz to trade him. He’s valuable on this team and in the league. However, we have a guy that can replace him right now. And I’m not telling you I believe the TEs were a problem last year. They were a bright spot in the passing game. But the TEs are rendered impotent when you have nothing on the outside. Carson willed this team 10 yards at a time. Could DeSean come back and Alshon come back with a great attitude and the offense opens back up? Sure I guess. But who really thinks that could be a reality? I’d use one of those TEs and start getting some weapons in here. If I have to risk that the return is bankrupt, fine. But I’ve seen what having two really good TEs and running that offense can do. It’s not good. It’s adequate and I’m not wasting Wentz‘ arm by running an adequate offense. We need to get dangerous. Getting an additional 2nd round pick all but guarantees your ability to trade up and get the WR of your choice. I don’t understand how anyone can dismiss the opportunity to do that with how things went last year, if you think it’s realistic or not. Or hell, don’t trade up. Take Mims and Shenault instead. Better than watching two good players share a position. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Eagles23 said:

If were keeping Desean and Alshon, how much PT is this rookie receiver really getting? Trading Ertz for a receiver that wont dominate snap percentage (or could bust) does not make sense. If anything explore trading Goedert

Are you suggesting to not draft a WR this year? There’s years of football beyond 2020. Desean is 100, Alshon is 30 and beat to hell. We need young, high end talent now so when they reach their peak years, Carson is at his optimal level. 

1 hour ago, Eagles23 said:

If were keeping Desean and Alshon, how much PT is this rookie receiver really getting? Trading Ertz for a receiver that wont dominate snap percentage (or could bust) does not make sense. If anything explore trading Goedert

A lot, because he'd be the slot WR, until Alshon or D Jax goes down- at which point he'd become the #2 or #1. So right around week 5, he'll be our #1 WR.

Agholor played almost 1000 snaps as our slot WR in '18 when he played 16 games. If we draft a rookie, and he starts at slot over Ward/JJ, he's going to play a lot.

Edited by Jeezla

52 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

A lot, because he'd be the slot WR, until Alshon or D Jax goes down- at which point he'd become the #2 or #1. So right around week 5, he'll be our #1 WR.

Agholor played almost 1000 snaps as our slot WR in '18 when he played 16 games. If we draft a rookie, and he starts at slot over Ward/JJ, he's going to play a lot.

Goedert has a higher ceiling is 90% as good right now, is younger and cheaper. Ertz probably has more immediate trade value too. Trading Ertz makes the most sense. His value is going to decline in the coming couple seasons, and Goedert's will rise.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

Goedert has a higher ceiling is 90% as good right now, is younger and cheaper. Ertz probably has more immediate trade value too. Trading Ertz makes the most sense. His value is going to decline in the coming couple seasons, and Goedert's will rise.

I'd rather trade Ertz for another 2nd, straight up. Then trade up just a little in the 1st and take Mims. Use those two 2's on Reagor and Dugger. We get Mims & Reagor instead of just Jeudy.

Can you imagine the Chiefs trading Tony Gonzalez in his prime after just 7 yrs which was 2004? Because his supposed Trade Value is only going to decline?

10 more Pro bowls and the very next season in 2005 , his best Statistical Season in the NFL and AP!

Even when KC did trade him 5 years later in 2009 he still had 4 more Pro bowls and a AP as a Falcon. While Ertz might not be Tony Gonzalez,  you do realize he is putting up TG type numbers the past 5 seasons, right? 

But hey, Trade him! We have Dallas friggen Goedert!👍

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Can you imagine the Chiefs trading Tony Gonzalez in his prime after just 7 yrs which was 2004? Because his supposed Trade Value is only going to decline?

10 more Pro bowls and the very next season in 2005 , his best Statistical Season in the NFL and AP!

Even when KC did trade him 5 years later in 2009 he still had 4 more Pro bowls and a AP as a Falcon. While Ertz might not be Tony Gonzalez,  you do realize he is putting up TG type numbers the past 5 seasons, right? 

Yes

Can you imagine the Raiders trading Khalil Mack in his prime?
Can you imagine the Texans trading Hopkins in his prime?
Can you imagine the jaguars trading Ramsay in his prime?

And none of those teams were facing the cap hell we're going to be up against next season, nor did they have a much cheaper Dallas Goedert waiting in the wings, who's actually already better than Ertz at half his job- blocking, with the athletic upside and yac ability to be even better as a receiver as well.

Also, Ertz' stats would fall off if we did trade him and he didn't end up with Wilson or Watson or some other really good QB that only has 1 decent WR to throw to.

Edited by Jeezla

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

Imagine the Cheifs had (potentially) Travis Kelce behind Tony G, but needed help elsewhere (like Defensive End) to truly reach their full potential as a team?

I'm down with trading Ertz. I know it seems really stupid to trade your best offensive receiving option and it is VERY RISKY but I would be down only because we have Goedert.

I'm also down with keeping Ertz, but you can't deny be would bring us solid return value right now.

1 hour ago, TwoUpTwoDown said:

I'm also down with keeping Ertz, but you can't deny be would bring us solid return value right now.

It would most likely bring a Pick! Something Howie has proven time in and time out is nothing more then a Flip of the coin for him when drafting! No one is Trading Stud WR1 for Ertz, No one!

Forgive me if I'd rather have the Proven during this next 3 yr window where the Eagles might actually be SB contenders. If you are always looking 5 yrs down the line, you typically miss what's right in front of you. Right now,  thats The Best TE Tandem in the NFL Period and a Top 3 TE in his Prime. You build around that, not dismantle it.

When has any great/good team needed two stud TEs? Patriots for one year? It’s not something you build around. Howie took bpa in Goedert thinking about value. Now is the time to cash in the value. Ertz turned down a big contract extension. We’re not giving them both new contracts. One has to go in the next year or two. Might as well bank on the younger if you have a choice. Let Carson groom some weapons. Scared money don’t make money.