2020 Offseason News and Discussion - Bargain Hunting

Kiltman

Just now, Jroc04 said:

I’d imagine a higher end talent at WR, which is probably what you’re getting back in a trade for Ertz or Goedert, playing 90% of the plays is far outperforming the output that our backup TE gave us. 

I doubt the trade in your head of a tight end for equally good receiver exists though. You will get a draft pick probably both have around 2nd round pick value and at that point you are hoping a rookie receiver replaces the production of the person with the 14th most catches in the nfl last year or the guy with the 51st most.

2 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

You just have some weird anti two tight end set fetish that you'd downgrade the entire 12 personnel group just because you would rather the third persons job title be wide receiver. 

I think that's weird 

isnt the best and easiest outcome at this point Desean, Miles, Dallas, Zach and rookie receiver? Why trade anyone when that group we already use could end being pretty good.

Who the hell cares about the 12 personnel? It clearly sucked last year. Trade a TE, run far less 12 and be an actual dynamic offense that doesn’t waste Carson. Any crappy QB can run this offense. Let Carson sit back and use the field. Running two TEs is too limiting. When has two TE offenses EVER been good. Once with Gronk and Hernandez? 

Desean-Ertz or Goedert-rookie WR-Hopkins (ex.) is far better than what you suggested. 

5 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

I doubt the trade in your head of a tight end for equally good receiver exists though. You will get a draft pick probably both have around 2nd round pick value and at that point you are hoping a rookie receiver replaces the production of the person with the 14th most catches in the nfl last year or the guy with the 51st most.

Ertz or Goedert have 2nd round value i think most people would say. Hopkins went for a 2nd and change. Not saying everyone is as dumb as BoB but still. 

8 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Who the hell cares about the 12 personnel? It clearly sucked last year. Trade a TE, run far less 12 and be an actual dynamic offense that doesn’t waste Carson. Any crappy QB can run this offense. Let Carson sit back and use the field. Running two TEs is too limiting. When has two TE offenses EVER been good. Once with Gronk and Hernandez? 

Desean-Ertz or Goedert-rookie WR-Hopkins (ex.) is far better than what you suggested. 

12 personnel got us to 12 in points and 14 in yards and that was without receivers. You don't think our offense is top 10 with just adding better receiver play?

5 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

12 personnel got us to 12 in points and 14 in yards and that was without receivers. You don't think our offense is top 10 with just adding better receiver play?

Don’t give me bulk stats. You know our passing offense was crap last year. We had the 5th most completions and the 11th most passing yards. Chargers had 
3 more completions and 600 (!) more yards. Dallas had 3 less completions and 900 (!!) more yards. Tampa has 9 less completions and 1000 (!!!) more yards. The definition of dink and dunk. 

Of course I think with better WR play we’re entirely better. And trading away the underused talent backup would be a way to get said better receiver. 

23 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Don’t give me bulk stats. You know our passing offense was crap last year. We had the 5th most completions and the 11th most passing yards. Chargers had 
3 more completions and 600 (!) more yards. Dallas had 3 less completions and 900 (!!) more yards. Tampa has 9 less completions and 1000 (!!!) more yards. The definition of dink and dunk. 

Of course I think with better WR play we’re entirely better. And trading away the underused talent backup would be a way to get said better receiver. 

he had almost 60 catches last year that's not underused. 

15 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

he had almost 60 catches last year that's not underused. 

He played 60% of snaps in the backup role. That’s severely underused for a guy with his talent. 25 other teams would have him on the field at a 90 clip. That’s value you’re not maximizing. On a team that can’t afford it. 

1 minute ago, Jroc04 said:

He played 60% of snaps in the backup role. That’s severely underused for a guy with his talent. 25 other teams would have him on the field at a 90 clip. That’s value you’re not maximizing. On a team that can’t afford it. 

why can't we afford it? 

1 minute ago, ninjapirate said:

no and we will probably draft 2 and return guys from injury. 

And I’m sure that happens. But throwing a couple of pennies in the wishing well that’s the NFL draft, relying on a 50 year old speedster and an aging malcontent coming off a lisfranc (and won’t be ready for seasons opener) is an awfully optimistic proposition to rest on. I’d rather be aggressive and proactive and use my assets to better prepare my club. We’re screwing with Carson’s career at this point. 

3 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

And I’m sure that happens. But throwing a couple of pennies in the wishing well that’s the NFL draft, relying on a 50 year old speedster and an aging malcontent coming off a lisfranc (and won’t be ready for seasons opener) is an awfully optimistic proposition to rest on. I’d rather be aggressive and proactive and use my assets to better prepare my club. We’re screwing with Carson’s career at this point. 

and the asset you want to acquire I dont think exists. I mean we can probably get curtis samuel but i doubt we have to give up a tight end to do that.

22 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

and the asset you want to acquire I dont think exists. I mean we can probably get curtis samuel but i doubt we have to give up a tight end to do that.

Maybe not now. Who knows who’s on the trade market. But Hopkins and Diggs were two young and very talented guys that could have been had if Howie was aggressive enough. He easily could have moved some assets around to acquire one. He could still get up high in the draft if he wants. But I doubt he’ll use Ertz or Goedert to do that. But he should have done something imo. I just think it’s a failure in proper asset allocation. WR can possibly be just as bad a problem as it was this past year. Howie is putting all his eggs in the draft for WR. And who really has confidence in that? 

23 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Maybe not now. Who knows who’s on the trade market. But Hopkins and Diggs were two young and very talented guys that could have been had if Howie was aggressive enough. He easily could have moved some assets around to acquire one. He could still get up high in the draft if he wants. But I doubt he’ll use Ertz or Goedert to do that. But he should have done something imo. I just think it’s a failure in proper asset allocation. WR can possibly be just as bad a problem as it was this past year. Howie is putting all his eggs in the draft for WR. And who really has confidence in that? 

Wr as it currently stand is actually worse than last year. It's the exact same, minus Agholor, but with Alshon coming off lisfranc and D Jax coming in a year older and probably a little slower. 

Howie sucks. And Alshon is a cancer. His nickname should be Corvid-17.

Edited by Jeezla