2020 Offseason News and Discussion - Bargain Hunting

Kiltman

4 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

For those keeping track, we are 5th in cap space currently with over $28M. Trailing the Browns 44.8, Texans 34.9, Jets 32.5, and Lions 31.3. 

We are also #32 and negative cap for 2021. We need to roll that money over to help us out of cap hell next season.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

For instance, Seals-Jones is walking around right now and is 26? I can trade Ertz for a 2nd or a player equal to the value of a 2nd. What did Hopkins go for again? Sign Seals, resign Goedert for 5 years, have Hopkins in the fold for a good 3 years. 

Why are you bringing Hopkins in on this debate? Was there a trade involving either TE I'm not aware of for Nuk? Just because BOB is a GD idiot and gave him away to AZ, doesn't mean the Eagles were in serious negotiations with the Texans for Hopkins.

Of course you trade Ertz for Julio, Hopkins, Thomas ect. However that's a pipe dream, never happening. 

If anyone has been paying attention to Doug from the minute he was hired they'd know he has pattern his entire philosophy around the Patriot Way. Attempting to create that culture and mindset Belicheck has installed in that building. 

The 1st order of business for Doug was trying the recreate something remotely similar to the 2 TE Domination the Patriots had with Gronk and Herandez! Even with a healthy DeSean and Alshon last year 12 Personnel based off Goederts Rookie year was always going to be a heavy staple in that years Offense.  Why, because teams can't defend it with this Tandem. He has a similar (not better) combo now! 

They can however defend it when you are starting UDFA at WR's. Let the Eagles find two legit WR, hell 1 really with Ertz/Goedet/Sanders and watch this Offense take off. Hard to do that though when players walking off PS are filling out WR1 through 5 on offense. 

There is so much to game plan for as a DC when we are in 12 Personnel given these three players that mismatches galore are created. Let alone if godforbid  a Ruggs, Jeudy,  Lamb is added. Sky's the limit!

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Why are you bringing Hopkins in on this debate? Was there a trade involving either TE I'm not aware of for Nuk? Just because BOB is a GD idiot and gave him away to AZ, doesn't mean the Eagles were in serious negotiations with the Texans for Hopkins.

Of course you trade Ertz for Julio, Hopkins, Thomas ect. However that's a pipe dream, never happening. 

If anyone has been paying attention to Doug from the minute he was hired they'd know he has pattern his entire philosophy around the Patriot Way. Attempting to create that culture and mindset Belicheck has installed in that building. 

The 1st order of business for Doug was trying the recreate something remotely similar to the 2 TE Domination the Patriots had with Gronk and Herandez! Even with a healthy DeSean and Alshon last year 12 Personnel based off Goederts Rookie year was always going to be a heavy staple in that years Offense.  Why, because teams can't defend it with this Tandem. He has a similar (not better) combo now! 

They can however defend it when you are starting UDFA at WR's. Let the Eagles find two legit WR, hell 1 really with Ertz/Goedet/Sandees and watch this Offense take off. Hard to do that though when players walking off PS are filling out WR1 through 5 on offense. 

There is so much to game plan for as a DC when we are in 12 Personnel given these three players that mismatches galore are created. Let alone if godforbid  a Ruggs, Jeudy,  Lamb is added. Sky's the limit!

Ertz/Goedert is the equivalent of a 2nd probably.  A 2nd and change could have gotten you Hopkins. Get it? Howie said they were in negotiations. Just that the Texans had “different terms” than what was settled for with AZ. Howie worked deals to get the draft stock to get Wentz. He could have netted a 2nd or so for one of the TEs, offered whatever needed to get Hopkins. Or worked other deals to get a WR in here that’s not a PS candidate this year. Point was, asset allocation. We’re loaded at TE. Sell some of that off to improve the team in areas where you have high school talent at. 

BB doesn’t have some book written on 12 personnel. They drafted two TEs in one draft in the first 4 rounds. They had one stellar year together and that’s it, their second year and then it was over. Bill never went back to the well on it. To think Doug models his whole coaching philosophy on one splash in the pan year that Belichik made is silly. Doug had a great offense letting Carson open the field up. It’s been limited ever since. Mainly because he’s had little to no WR help and has to focus on two TE sets, dinking and dunking down the field. 

Well, here we are a year removed from something that was supposed to be a top 5 offense because no one could defend it. One impotent year later and we have aging, injured Alshon (whom may not even play for the eagles again), old Desean coming off a season long injury, an unproven slot WR (I guess) and a 2nd year players who was literally lost on the field last year. If I was looking at that as my Corp, I’d be freaking the hell out. Instead Howie did nothing. What I suggested was that Howie move some assets around to better facilitate some talent into the WR room. Not a crazy notion. Take a position of extreme value and trade some of it to help that clear deficiency. 

And again, everyone is just suggesting throwing a rookie in the mix. I like the prospects this year. But do we trust Howie in making the right pick? I’m all for drafting WRs this year early and often. But what if we get a JJ 2.0? We’re in a very precarious situation while Howie could have been more aggressive and helped his franchise QB out. Instead, it’s very possible this plan falls on its face and were sitting here with an ineffective Desean and otherwise trash at WR this year and two really good TEs. Netting us exactly what we got this year, a 10 yard offense that dinks and dunks down the field in hopes that its QB can perform miracles week in and out. 

29 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

A 2nd and change could have gotten you Hopkins. Get it?

Stop reading after this. What you dont seem to grasp is the Fact BOB wanted what we didn't have nor offer,  David Johnson! Otherwise there was probably a dozen more better offers out there he could if taken.

A dozen more on top of that if any GM had a GD clue WTF BOB was going to except in the AZ trade like an idiot. So referencing what Howie "could of done" with our TE in a Hopkins trade is Mute! Was never on the table, shouldn't be even discussed , even in Hindsight. 

If Howie wanted to pay Hopkins 100M with an eventual extension,  he would of made the trade. He didn't,  that's why a trade wasn't made. Not some absurd notion Howie believed Ertz wasn't worth dealing for Hopkins or we make the trade instead.🍺

• Like 1

The more time goes on, the more I feel like we're just gonna reach on some garbage prospect WR Prospect in round 2 and have a repeat of last year. I mean hell we didn't even bring in a mid tier guy. Probably gonna draft Van Jefferson at 53 and call it a day SMH.

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

The more time goes on, the more I feel like we're just gonna reach on some garbage prospect WR Prospect in round 2 and have a repeat of last year. I mean hell we didn't even bring in a mid tier guy. Probably gonna draft Van Jefferson at 53 and call it a day SMH.

Van Jefferson isn’t garbage would love him round 3

Re watched playoff game vs Seattle with Maddox outside. Extremely solid game. Gave up that TD to Metcalf, in which there seemed to be some sort of pre snap miscommunication and alignment delays/errors right before the ball was snapped. Seemed like Maddox was expecting some help with the route or something. It didn't feel or look like a normal rep. But beyond that, the only other two catches he gave up were a 4 yard comeback to Metcalf where he immediately tackled him, and a crossing route where he got tangled up with the WR. Was rarely targeted throughout the game. Maybe like 5 targets or 4. Very impressive.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

he's a bit of a reach in round 3, but we'll take him round 2, and that will be the only change to our WR core this entire offseason. Sigh

I’d be happy to have him at that comp 3rd...but yeah, at 53 something went wrong. 

He’d be a nice 2nd WR we draft with most of these guys with his ability to move around a formation. Like A Mims + BPA defender at #53 +  Van draft is a solid top of the draft to me.

15 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Stop reading after this. What you dont seem to grasp is the Fact BOB wanted what we didn't have nor offer,  David Johnson! Otherwise there was probably a dozen more better offers out there he could if taken.

A dozen more on top of that if any GM had a GD clue WTF BOB was going to except in the AZ trade like an idiot. So referencing what Howie "could of done" with our TE in a Hopkins trade is Mute! Was never on the table, shouldn't be even discussed , even in Hindsight. 

If Howie wanted to pay Hopkins 100M with an eventual extension,  he would of made the trade. He didn't,  that's why a trade wasn't made. Not some absurd notion Howie believed Ertz wasn't worth dealing for Hopkins or we make the trade instead.🍺

lol so the reason why I was talking about Hopkins in the first place since you asked and then didn’t read anything else? Got it. That’s one way to discuss things I guess. Also, if you think David effing Johnson is the walkway point, either you and/or BoB are insane. Howie had discussions. It’s documented. He had a chance to go above and beyond the price. He didn’t. Not really the point though. 

Hopkins was just used originally as an example as someone who was clearly available and clearly attainable but for whatever reason Howie didn’t. But still not even the point in that Howie has some clear abundance in talent at TE that can be dispersed in return for someone/thing that can do more to help in return. 

There’s opportunity wasted here. And for what? A TE2.  It doesn’t make sense. Repurpose that TE2 into assets and reformulate it into something this team needs instead of beating our heads against the walls and watching Carson and this offense suffer for it. We’re praying Desean is healthy? Is that what we’re holding out hope for? Oh, and hoping the draft falls the right way for us? That’s an awful lot of hoping, waiting, wishing. I don’t know how any of you are comfortable with that. Get some draft stock by the way of your TE, move up, get your guy. Howie’s put himself in a desperate situation. And if I can see it, 31 other GMs see it. 

Also try reading and addressing the whole post. I clearly say “or get another WR in here” and that the main point was “asset allocation”. Hopkins was just an example of missed opportunity. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

there is also no one to sign at wr. 

Still think they’re waiting on the Chiefs to decide if they will restructure or release Sammy Watkins.  Can’t imagine KC will pay him that $21M amount for this season.