2020 Offseason News and Discussion - Bargain Hunting

Kiltman

5 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Yeah was hoping howie could somehow get us out of that we some contract magic next year

They can save like 20 million by not have Alshon or Malik Jackson on the roster in 2020. Another $8 if they get some young WR's and get let go of DeSean. That'll get them out of the red and then the roll over can help them do business. After that several contracts were clearly designed to be restructured in 2021 because they balloon ridiciously that year Carson and Fletcher the two biggest examples. Strong chance Ertz's contract is redone after 2020 and they can bring his number down in 2021 as well.

Don't worry about the cap when Howie Roseman is at the helm

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

They can save like 20 million by not have Alshon or Malik Jackson on the roster in 2020. Another $8 if they get some young WR's and get let go of DeSean. That'll get them out of the red and then the roll over can help them do business. After that several contracts were clearly designed to be restructured in 2021 because they balloon ridiciously that year Carson and Fletcher the two biggest examples. Strong chance Ertz's contract is redone after 2020 and they can bring his number down in 2021 as well.

Don't worry about the cap when Howie Roseman is at the helm

Oh I'm not worried. So we could end up having like 30+ Million to work with next year?

That's why I'm open to spending some if a player comes available for the right price. I know everyone hates Clowney but 1 year deal would be nice.. 15millionish

4 hours ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Oh I'm not worried. So we could end up having like 30+ Million to work with next year?

That's why I'm open to spending some if a player comes available for the right price. I know everyone hates Clowney but 1 year deal would be nice.. 15millionish

if the eagles were willing to spend more money and do it at DE. I think Yannick would already be an eagle.

Edited by ninjapirate

Heard yesterday 53 was too steep an asking price for Cooks according to Howie. 

I don’t really get it. We are “crying” poor. Well, maybe we are just assuming it more than the Eagles are actually saying it but I think we see the writing on the wall. How can we be entertaining the idea of taking on $8M this year for that WR but being cheap elsewhere. Couldn’t find the extra $4 or so to get Hopkins? I’ve always felt there’s another shoe to drop with all this cap space but 53 was the only thing stopping Cooks coming here? It’s odd. 

3 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I don’t really get it. We are “crying” poor. Well, maybe we are just assuming it more than the Eagles are actually saying it but I think we see the writing on the wall. How can we be entertaining the idea of taking on $8M this year for that WR but being cheap elsewhere. Couldn’t find the extra $4 or so to get Hopkins? I’ve always felt there’s another shoe to drop with all this cap space but 53 was the only thing stopping Cooks coming here? It’s odd. 

Cooks isn't very good and comes with a huge price tag. 53 is too much for him.

11 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

We already have 1 over rated overpaid oft injured WR. Did we need a second? 

• Like 1

You guys didn’t understand. 

This whole offseason has been about taking on bigger contracts. Or really, NOT taking on big contracts. Apparently Howie was kicking the tires on Cooks. But 53 was too steep. So, as I interpret, if the Rams were ok with taking the 3rd, we’d be entertaining the idea? I don’t care about Cooks one way or another. However, the asking price was the issue and not his bigger salary impact? So my question is, is Howie more willing to take on money than we think he is? And if so, that Hopkins trade was doable. That’s a crappy feeling. Cooks and his $8M+ plus contract or Hopkins and his $12M+ contract? 

29 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

This whole offseason has been about taking on bigger contracts. Or really, NOT taking on big contracts. Apparently Howie was kicking the tires on Cooks. But 53 was too steep. So, as I interpret, if the Rams were ok with taking the 3rd, we’d be entertaining the idea? I don’t care about Cooks one way or another. However, the asking price was the issue and not his bigger salary impact? So my question is, is Howie more willing to take on money than we think he is? And if so, that Hopkins trade was doable. That’s a crappy feeling. Cooks and his $8M+ plus contract or Hopkins and his $12M+ contract? 

I think he's willing to do anything for the right price, he's just valuing the space.

I think if we are taking on big contracts, he wants it to be at positions we don't have a bunch of money already in.
The exception being Hargrave, who fills the short term need of 3rd DT by bumping Malik down and long term need as #2.

We have large holes on this team, and many long term ones. So tossing 53 for a guy like Cooks doesn't make sense.
He's injured a lot and costs way more.

If he could've traded 53 for Hop I'm sure he would've. But 21 was going to be involved. And we especially need that or it's value in a trade down for young good talent on the cheap

59 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

What happened with Hopkins (at least reading between the lines) Is that the Texans valued David Johnson very highly, so that the Eagles draft compensation would have to have been probably higher and they probably asked for Miles Sanders in return as well. It's not as apples to apples as the player for pick deal would be. Stupid Bill O'Brian thinks he is getting 2016 David Johnson in the deal and a high second round pick, then it becomes harder for the Eagles to match.

Howie probably checked the price on Cooks and if it made sense maybe he'd consider swinging the deal but at a 2 that didn't make sense and he was out. I don't see why that is strange to you. 

22 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I think he's willing to do anything for the right price, he's just valuing the space.

I think if we are taking on big contracts, he wants it to be at positions we don't have a bunch of money already in.
The exception being Hargrave, who fills the short term need of 3rd DT by bumping Malik down and long term need as #2.

We have large holes on this team, and many long term ones. So tossing 53 for a guy like Cooks doesn't make sense.
He's injured a lot and costs way more.

If he could've traded 53 for Hop I'm sure he would've. But 21 was going to be involved. And we especially need that or it's value in a trade down for young good talent on the cheap

Let me just be clear; I’m not suggesting the Eagles should have traded for Cooks. Even for a 4th I don’t think it would have been worth it. 

Just saying, it seems that Howie is making sure he gets that important roll over money for next year, signing cheaper, one year deals to fill most holes. But on the sly he’s been inquiring about big ticket guys. I just don’t understand the potential of getting some guys at say 8M but writing of some others off because they may be a little more expensive. I know Howie is all about value and the deal but I think, if he’s willing to take on more salary, especially for young, still in prime type of guys, I think he should stop worrying about a few million and push in a little to know you’re getting big weapons for this team that lacks some. 

10 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

What happened with Hopkins (at least reading between the lines) Is that the Texans valued David Johnson very highly, so that the Eagles draft compensation would have to have been probably higher and they probably asked for Miles Sanders in return as well. It's not as apples to apples as the player for pick deal would be. Stupid Bill O'Brian thinks he is getting 2016 David Johnson in the deal and a high second round pick, then it becomes harder for the Eagles to match

I agree. The mysterious value David Johnson has is mostly my hang up but that’s just an example.

Its just odd to me he’s willing to take on Cooks for $8M+ but won’t make a deal to push in and get an automatic stud. Draft compensation notwithstanding. He’s always had a boner for Cooks for some reason though. I just don’t like that he’s always frugal. Sometimes I think you have to overpay to get yourself a stud. I love that he gets good deals but not every time can you put the phone down and sit back and grin knowing you just paid pennies on the dollar. Go get aggressive and get the guy your team needs. 

22 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Let me just be clear; I’m not suggesting the Eagles should have traded for Cooks. Even for a 4th I don’t think it would have been worth it. 

Just saying, it seems that Howie is making sure he gets that important roll over money for next year, signing cheaper, one year deals to fill most holes. But on the sly he’s been inquiring about big ticket guys. I just don’t understand the potential of getting some guys at say 8M but writing of some others off because they may be a little more expensive. I know Howie is all about value and the deal but I think, if he’s willing to take on more salary, especially for young, still in prime type of guys, I think he should stop worrying about a few million and push in a little to know you’re getting big weapons for this team that lacks some. 

I getcha, I just think any year you have to weigh both sides of that though.
I think we are just in a position finally where Howie can't necessarily work his magic. Because we have a ton of core guys who've kicked money back.
I'm sure he'll do some reworkings. But it's time to pay these bills so to speak. 

Being frugal now helps you keep everyone next year and still operate.
I think like he always does he'll listen and talk to teams. Like if you can get a steal for Hopkins of like a 2nd and Sidney Jones you do it and deal with the consequences later.
But every price will be weighed next to the desperate need for young guys that we can count on being here 4-5 years at least on the cheap.
We can't keep being a mercenary team. Yeah we got a SB out of being one, but we have to transition to the usually draft and develop model with Carson's contract.

I think long term the hope is Carson regains that top QB status league wide and we can get some of these guys coming in here on affordable deals.
Like getting Robby Anderson or Perrimen for $4-5 mil instead the 8-10 mil they got (i think thats where they ended up) 

I think there is also the factor that they want young guys who fit what Carson does more. Not necessarily this special specific WR like Carson is picky, but just guys who can get open and have some speed. Will be at the spot when they are expected to. He clearer doesn't go for jump ball guys as much as say Nick did. So certain guys were probably off their list. For either that or money/compensation. 

We have to retool this roster, they have said as much. They want to compete but the can't sacrifice having to blow up the team for 1 year.of loading up at this point. 
We just don't have enough young drafted talent built up.