2020 Offseason News and Discussion - Bargain Hunting

Kiltman

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

I think Jim’s scheme definitely doesn’t do them any favors.

but they all have deficiencies. Largely they lack elite speed which helps cover up mistakes. 

Darby has the most speed but has been hurt a lot and not the smartest player. Jones’ injuries derailed him and has been in his head since. Mills has a lot of qualities you want in a corner besides the top flight speed and it hurts him at least once a game terribly. Douglas has a ton of the mental down at this point, and shows a lot in the strength side...he just doesn’t have the speed to be a week in/week out starter. Maddox has agility and smarts, but size and top speed holds him back. Leblanc has nestled into a great interior role for himself...like what he’s shown a lot there.

If we could get an elite Corner to head off the group I feel like a lot of things would fall into place. 

There are no elite corners Kilty.

We just saw Gilmore getting done by D. Parker. There are CBs who have earned respect so QBs don't necessarily try them (Sherman, Gilmore). There are CBs who made enough splash plays that they're All-Pro (Peters). T. White has 6 interceptions tied for first, none of those were vs top 15 QBs (PIT 2, Den, Mia, Cin 2) imo. 

Yes it would be great to have a corner with speed, we have none. But getting an elite CB is a misnomer. All 4 of those All-Pro nominees play on good overall defenses. 

PFF has Casey Hayward as a 2nd team all-pro he allowed only 27 receptions and is a 4.57 guy...he also plays on a defense with a great pass rush. We all know Sherman isn't a fast guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see MN attack Sherman with slants, hitches because he bails so much in there cover 3

Groh and Walch are awful coaches. How does Pederson not see this? The offense has zero creativity and players seem to regress every year.

This organization is loyal to a fault, and in a bad way. A four game winning streak against some of the worst teams in the league shouldn’t buy immunity for anyone.

• Like 1

After hearing the press conference I see is going after the top free agents again. Howie admitted the past two seasons he was going for bargains, and they're normally the older guys. But now he realizes he shouldn’t be doing that and will be going after the younger guys “market setters”, he used. I’m expecting a bigger free agent splash then the past two seasons. Also, it seems like he’s not into giving Jenkins an extension I kinda got that vibe from him. I also don’t think he’d want to resign peters but lurie might over rule him on that as he and peters are best friends and he always helped out peters.

8 minutes ago, RBreezy said:

Groh and Walch are awful coaches. How does Pederson not see this? The offense has zero creativity and players seem to regress every year.

You want further proof that Groh sucks?

5Kg05rR.png

I'm almost certain that Groh was the one who was responsible for coming up with the "scripted first 15 plays"

Look at Carson's numbers in the first quarter, half, and first 10 pass attempts of the game, compared with subsequent attempts.

Edited by Danger

18 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

There are no elite corners Kilty.

We just saw Gilmore getting done by D. Parker. There are CBs who have earned respect so QBs don't necessarily try them (Sherman, Gilmore). There are CBs who made enough splash plays that they're All-Pro (Peters). T. White has 6 interceptions tied for first, none of those were vs top 15 QBs (PIT 2, Den, Mia, Cin 2) imo. 

Yes it would be great to have a corner with speed, we have none. But getting an elite CB is a misnomer. All 4 of those All-Pro nominees play on good overall defenses. 

PFF has Casey Hayward as a 2nd team all-pro he allowed only 27 receptions and is a 4.57 guy...he also plays on a defense with a great pass rush. We all know Sherman isn't a fast guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see MN attack Sherman with slants, hitches because he bails so much in there cover 3

I get what you mean. A corner with elite traits would be a better way of putting it. Specifically speed with the brains to play the position too. 
we can’t get a whole legion of them, but getting one will help a good deal. You can scheme out overcoming one side, not both. It’s what this scheme needs. 

Fire Undlin and find a DB coach who can make this group better. I’m not ready to give up on Sidney Jones yet and I think he could be a good starter if we coached him up properly and got him over his mental game issues. Move Rasul to safety or trade him. This team isn’t moving on from Jalen Mills and he’s definitely starting next year barring an injury or Schwartz leaving. 

1 hour ago, oland11 said:

Fire Undlin and find a DB coach who can make this group better. I’m not ready to give up on Sidney Jones yet and I think he could be a good starter if we coached him up properly and got him over his mental game issues. Move Rasul to safety or trade him. This team isn’t moving on from Jalen Mills and he’s definitely starting next year barring an injury or Schwartz leaving. 

Sidney Jones just sucked, and he's had plenty of chances.  I do think he played nicely during the last stretch of games but wouldn't be too excited to expect anything from him next season.  Cant put the blame on Undlin on this one, IMO, who is a well respected DB coach.

Just seems like he exceeded expectations with what he's had to work with since he's gotten here. He won a SB with the Broncos (has gotten credit for Chris Harris Jr's  development), and of course won with us in the 2017 season. Have to also give Undlin some credit for LeBlanc's development as I remember him being with the Bears, and not very good. Patrick Robinson also had a elite season with us before being trash with the Colts, prior, and also with the Saints after us.

So I read some of the transcript Howie talks about how they may go back and and look at how they evaluate guys who weren't as productive in college (ie: WRs, not over 40 catches in college but productive in NFL this past year)

Terry McLaurin - college: 35 catches, 700 yds, 11 TDs/ NFL: 58 catches, +900 yds, 7 TDs

DK Metcalf - college: 39 catches, 640 yds, 7 TDs / NFL: 58 catches, +900 yds, 7 TDs

Darius Slayton - college: 35 catches, 650 yds, 5 TDs/ NFL: 48 catches, 740yds, 8 TDs 

Mecole Hardman - college: 35 catches, 540 yds, 7 TDs/ NFL: 41 catches, 530 yds, 6 TDs  

JJAW - college two seasons over 40 catches, 750 yds, +9TDs

Instead of Howie looking at production, Howie and his scouting dept should be focused on how does he fit into what DougieP and his staff want. A jump ball WR who doesn't get opportunities will bust until he becomes a complete WR.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Trust in Doug 

Is it wrong that this makes me like Doug even more? Lol

I. Cannot. Stop. Watching. This. 

He is just going to town on that bottle and I am laughing my *** off as I keep thinking THAT guy out coached Bellicheck in a Super Bowl.

Doug is a GD American Hero! 

Edited by EaglesPeteC
  • Like 4