2020 Offseason News and Discussion - Bargain Hunting

Kiltman

2 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Agree to disagree on this one. A short term extension for Jenkins is well worth it for both on field and leadership reasons 

This was the biggest mistake Howie made last season. Not Clowney, DK, ect.... Extending Alshon Jeffery,  rather then the one Singular Player who has Played EVERY SINGLE SNAP  the past two seasons!

The only singular Rock that Jim Schwartz could count on to not only show up game in game out but lead a bunch of PS Scrubs on Defense 2 years in a row!

Entire situation reminds me of the Joe Banner Cluster Flop when dealing with an aging Brian Dawkins! Like Dawk back then some of you severely underestimate what Malcolm does in its entirety for this Defense!

Now we're sitting here with a broken Alshon who was a shell of himself the entire 2019 season before going on IR.

Edited by Nabbs4u

57 minutes ago, IrishHooligan00 said:

Whats yalls thoughts on just trying to do a mini rebuild the next 2 years rather then repeatedly doing band aids? 

I’m all for it. The team is way too old for my liking. That definitely plays into the countless injuries.

1 hour ago, IrishHooligan00 said:

Whats yalls thoughts on just trying to do a mini rebuild the next 2 years rather then repeatedly doing band aids? 

Should have started that last offseason TBH. 

Graham was good this year, but we should have taken the comp pick, and let our older guys go. 

1 hour ago, IrishHooligan00 said:

Depends on what you mean by “mini rebuild” that is kind of a BS term if you ask me. Either you are rebuilding or not. 

should they be in the business of signing older guys like Andrew Sendajo or resigning players past their prime like Peters or Sproles. But i don’t think they should be in tearing down mode. This is a playoff team with 10 draft picks use them wisely and pick up a couple key FA’s and there is no reason why they shouldn’t be a top contender 

5 hours ago, oland11 said:

Does anyone have a feeling that Kamu will not be resigned seeing as Duke Riley basically took him job on ST after he was IRed? I think Kamu provides us with depth but the coaching staff seem to really like Edwards and Gerry

KGH was supposed to start opposite Bradham this year so it’s definitely something they need to consider. If you view him as a starter over Gerry, which I guess you probably should, we’d be getting him pretty cheap. Edwards is purely STs. I thought Gerry was solid but that’s the most you’re going to get from him. He’s not much of a playmaker. We need new blood in the LBers but getting Kam back cheap would be something that interests me for a year or two until he proves he’s a starter in this league. Speaking of the LBers, Bradham didn’t look good at all this year. He seemed like just a guy out there. I guess that’s enough in this defense but would be nice to draft  a guy that can make some plays. 

5 hours ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

"NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Browns have requested to interview Eagles DC Jim Schwartz for their head-coaching vacancy."

That's awesome. Would love to get a new DC. I want some younger fresh minds to add to our coaching staff if there's any good ones available that is

I’d be good with Marvin Lewis as my DC. Players seems to back him. 

• Like 1

There's no such thing as "mini rebuild". Overhauling this roster will push this team to middle of the road purgatory. What contracts can you get rid of? We have a ton of guys locked up. We have 46 guys with money allocated to the books for 2020. We are probably going to be in the lower 1/3 of teams with cap space.  

The issue is we aren't hitting on the draft. By letting a lot of guys walk Bradham/Jenkins/McLeod/ Darby/Mills/Vaitai we are going to lose a ton of depth. The silver lining is with all the injuries we built depth and found out who can play a little (PSquad) and who couldn't contribute (JJAW/Hollins).   

We have a lot of vets, most of them are locked up aside from Bradham, Peters, Curry, McLeod all 30+.  Each of those positions we have someone either waiting in the wings or its a position we can upgrade in the draft. But we have to throw multiple assets at the position trade/draft/FA. 

If I'm ranking these positions in order of importance I'm going 

CB (draft/FA)

Safety (resign Jenkins/draft) 

WR (draft)

QB (FA) 

4 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

KGH was supposed to start opposite Bradham this year so it’s definitely something they need to consider. If you view him as a starter over Gerry, which I guess you probably should, we’d be getting him pretty cheap. Edwards is purely STs. I thought Gerry was solid but that’s the most you’re going to get from him. He’s not much of a playmaker. We need new blood in the LBers but getting Kam back cheap would be something that interests me for a year or two until he proves he’s a starter in this league. Speaking of the LBers, Bradham didn’t look good at all this year. He seemed like just a guy out there. I guess that’s enough in this defense but would be nice to draft  a guy that can make some plays. 

I was listening to the radio this morning and people were flipping out over the fact we don’t have real LBs and I’m just thinking this dude is an idiot and blind to the concept that the NFL is evolving to not needing traditional LBs like a Brian Urlacher 

So the more mock sims I'm doing, if we want to move up for Ruggs it would seem the sweet spot would be going from 21 (800) to 18 (900), trading up a few spots with the Dolphins. The 3rd round comp pick for Foles is fair compensation for that move up. Biggest obstacle right now it feels like is Oakland at 19. Maybe Jacksonville at 20, but it's more likely they take CeeDee or Jeudy at 9.

31 minutes ago, oland11 said:

I was listening to the radio this morning and people were flipping out over the fact we don’t have real LBs and I’m just thinking this dude is an idiot and blind to the concept that the NFL is evolving to not needing traditional LBs like a Brian Urlacher 

Yea the thumper LB is def dead. You need sideline to sideline guys if I can be as cliche as I can. Some guys are a rare mix and can do both but I think coverage and solid tackling skills are what teams look for. Hell, Gerry was in the middle of our defense most of the year and it was a decent defense, top 3 in rush defense. Bobby Wagner and KJ Wright is a perfect LB duo imo. You just don’t see that kind of play consistency throughout the league.