2020 Offseason News and Discussion - Bargain Hunting

Kiltman

What role do we expect Malcolm to play moving forward? I think that will dictate what kind of safeties we pursue. Do we want him more in the box/nickel moving forward? Would a box safety not make sense? 

Edited by ninjapirate

5 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

The guy is going to make a whole lot of money for someone with no ball skills I'd pass. 

I mean anything is an upgrade over what we've trotted out there the past two seasons but I don't get all of the Hype with Jones? Some are acting like he's the next Revis, Deion,  PP,  Gilmore , Ramsey or something?

I wouldn't back up the Brinks Truck either!

4 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

He's the only corner in nfl history to not intercept at least 5 passes in his first 70 starts. He's historically bad at it there is no sugar coating it. 

He's started at CB for 32 games. He was a safety until 2 years ago. He doesn't play the ball, but he also doesn't allow completions. I'll take a guy who doesn't get interceptions, but also doesn't allow completions/td's over the guy who gets 5 picks a year, but also gives up 5 td's and a bunch of 3rd down completions.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeezla said:

He's started at CB for 32 games. He was a safety until 2 years ago. He doesn't play the ball, but he also doesn't allow completions. I'll take a guy who doesn't get interceptions, but also doesn't allow completions/td's over the guy who gets 5 picks a year, but also gives up 5 td's and a bunch of 3rd down completions.

safeties also get interceptions though. So he is 70+ games at safety and corner with 2 of them ever. No one else in the league has ever done that.

3 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

safeties also get interceptions though. So he is 70+ games at safety and corner with 2 of them ever. No one else in the league has ever done that.

Ints are also scheme based. Byron Jones played press man with his back to the Qb. It’s much easier to get ints when you’re sitting in zone. Jones also only had 64 targets last season which is a really great number and shows Qbs shy away from his side. 

16 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

What role do we expect Malcolm to play moving forward? I think that will dictate what kind of safeties we pursue. Do we want him more in the box/nickel moving forward? Would a box safety not make sense? 

For which team?  By the way Howie talks it's definitely not a given that he's back.

7 hours ago, DeSean Jackson said:

Ints are also scheme based. Byron Jones played press man with his back to the Qb. It’s much easier to get ints when you’re sitting in zone. Jones also only had 64 targets last season which is a really great number and shows Qbs shy away from his side. 

Well if he only plays press man then we also have no business signing him because we dont use that kind of coverage.

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

Well if he only plays press man then we also have no business signing him because we dont use that kind of coverage.

He fits us perfectly, we do single high so much and leave our corners on islands which is exactly what he did in Dallas. Jim loves playing man but was forced to play some zone last year due to his corners. Jim would play press man if he had the corners to do it. Source- in buffalo and Detroit 

The INTs are a valid concern for Jones. He is a very good cover corner but not an elite lock down type of guy and probably not worth the money he is going to get. If they don't sign him then it is not the end of the world. If they do get him though, at least it'll be nice to have an excellent CB for once. Another point I saw someone make which makes me like him more is the fact that if he slows down at CB he could move to S where he also has experience. Seems like he is a very high floor type of signing. 

4 hours ago, EAGLES3658 said:

The INTs are a valid concern for Jones. He is a very good cover corner but not an elite lock down type of guy and probably not worth the money he is going to get. If they don't sign him then it is not the end of the world. If they do get him though, at least it'll be nice to have an excellent CB for once. Another point I saw someone make which makes me like him more is the fact that if he slows down at CB he could move to S where he also has experience. Seems like he is a very high floor type of signing. 

INTs are one of the most overrated stats for a corner. Give me a Sheldon Brown over an Asante Samuel any day.

13 hours ago, Danger said:

INTs are one of the most overrated stats for a corner. Give me a Sheldon Brown over an Asante Samuel any day.

No thank you, Sheld Brown had like two really good seasons and had to have safety help otherwise he would get burned deep because he wasn´t particularly fast. Asante was a game changer who came up big in the 08 season playoffs. We were very vulnerable to bubble screens to his side though. 

4 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

No thank you, Sheld Brown had like two really good seasons and had to have safety help otherwise he would get burned deep because he wasn´t particularly fast. Asante was a game changer who came up big in the 08 season playoffs. We were very vulnerable to bubble screens to his side though. 

Sheldon Brown was the most consistent and reliable coverage corner we've had since probably Troy Vincent.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DeSean Jackson said:

He fits us perfectly, we do single high so much and leave our corners on islands which is exactly what he did in Dallas. Jim loves playing man but was forced to play some zone last year due to his corners. Jim would play press man if he had the corners to do it. Source- in buffalo and Detroit 

While I do think that Byron Jones is a good fit actually Jim prefers zone with off coverage since his whole system is based in having numbers advantage in the box and expects the CB to come down and tackle. He CAN play man but I don´t think that´s what he prefers since he favors cover 3 so much. 

This past season we had a corner who could run with WR but couldn´t play the ball to save his life and a CB who couldn´t run with anyone. So we couldn´t run neither man nor zone. If we do sing Jones I hope they play him to his strengths which is never a given with this team.

Sheldon Brown/Asante Samuel were a good duo back in 2008-09...I'm not arguing over who was better does someone have advanced stats? lol. 

Different league back then

They both had their downfalls but played exceptionally well. 

I would be all in for Byron Jones if I knew he could play more than just press man.