2020 Offseason News and Discussion - Bargain Hunting

Kiltman

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

Has the fall been all receivers though? I think Wentz not being healthy and seemingly taking a step back after his injuries has a part to play. 

Id say so. Last year, Wentz was good. TEs were good. RBs were pretty good. OL was good. WR trash. Offense average at best. 

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

Why would 2 years where your tight ends have been better than your receivers convince you to trade 1 or stop using them?

That's more a ringing endorsement. 

Because you can upgrade your piss poor WR Corp by trading away a seemingly valuable asset that’s being logjammed by the other. Ertz 16 game season have him at about 90% of the snaps. Goedert maxed would be 60ish%. A high end WR going to play 90ish%. Simple math tells me I’m getting more production out of the hypothetical top end WR than I am the backup TE in a two TE offense. Don’t see how that’s not easy logic for people to understand. You’re maximizing the onfield talent by trading away one of those TEs and getting another weapon. 

2 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Because you can upgrade your piss poor WR Corp by trading away a seemingly valuable asset that’s being logjammed by the other. Ertz 16 game season have him at about 90% of the snaps. Goedert maxed would be 60ish%. A high end WR going to play 90ish%. Simple math tells me I’m getting more production out of the hypothetical top end WR than I am the backup TE in a two TE offense. Don’t see how that’s not easy logic for people to understand. You’re maximizing the onfield talent by trading away one of those TEs and getting another weapon. 

You don't have to trade a tight end to create a hole to fix wr though.

9 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Well yea we have to get better at receiver but I dont think we have to trade away tight ends to do that.

So wouldn’t logic assume that you take a position where you have an abundance in talent and allocate it (in this case, trade) to a more deficient area? A guy, albeit pretty talented only playing 60ish% of snaps can be traded out for another player that’s as good and can play 90% of his snaps? Just by process of taking an average player and putting him in place of JJ’s snaps last year would have made up better. Now take a player of Ertz or Goederts level and put him at JJs spot and we’re cooking. 

1 minute ago, Jroc04 said:

So wouldn’t logic assume that you take a position where you have an abundance in talent and allocate it (in this case, trade) to a more deficient area? A guy, albeit pretty talented only playing 60ish% of snaps can be traded out for another player that’s as good and can play 90% of his snaps? Just by process of taking an average player and putting him in place of JJ’s snaps last year would have made up better. Now take a player of Ertz or Goederts level and put him at JJs spot and we’re cooking. 

So you want to trade Goedert so that someone else can just replicate his production for us next year?

1 minute ago, ninjapirate said:

You don't have to trade a tight end to create a hole to fix wr though.

Create a hole at backup TE? Is backup TE really a big want around the league? I can get a backup level TE anywhere. I apparently can’t get a good WR anywhere. 

For instance, Seals-Jones is walking around right now and is 26? I can trade Ertz for a 2nd or a player equal to the value of a 2nd. What did Hopkins go for again? Sign Seals, resign Goedert for 5 years, have Hopkins in the fold for a good 3 years. 

You’re telling me just because you don’t want a “hole” at backup TE you’d forgo a conclusion like that or on par with that proposed? That’s insane. 

2 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Create a hole at backup TE? Is backup TE really a big want around the league? I can get a backup level TE anywhere. I apparently can’t get a good WR anywhere. 

For instance, Seals-Jones is walking around right now and is 26? I can trade Ertz for a 2nd or a player equal to the value of a 2nd. What did Hopkins go for again? Sign Seals, resign Goedert for 5 years, have Hopkins in the fold for a good 3 years. 

You’re telling me just because you don’t want a “hole” at backup TE you’d forgo a conclusion like that or on par with that proposed? That’s insane. 

No I'm saying trading someone who had 88 catches last year so that the teams can add a player to catch passes doesn't make any sense. 

Just now, ninjapirate said:

I mean I'd rather have a good second tight end out there then a bad third wide receiver. 

You’re assuming one of our TEs equates to a bad third WR?

Id trade Ertz for a good WR. Ertz is a top 3 TE. Prb more valuable than a good WR due to the lack of high end talent at TE. So maybe Howie can squeeze a WR with top 10 talent. Or get a 1st or 2nd rounder for him. 2nd being more likely. Either way, that’s an improvement on the field more likely to contribute. 

Just now, ninjapirate said:

No I'm saying trading someone who had 88 catches last year so that the teams can add a player to catch passes doesn't make any sense. 

Cmon. Now you’re being obtuse. You watched the games. 88 catches by Ertz or 88 catches by DeAndre Hopkins? What would you rather have for your offense? Given all that you know in our situation. Goedert can be pretty close to as effective as Ertz. He can be replaced. We had 5th string guys at WR starting at both spots. 

Just now, Jroc04 said:

Cmon. Now you’re being obtuse. You watched the games. 88 catches by Ertz or 88 catches by DeAndre Hopkins? What would you rather have for your offense? Given all that you know in our situation. Goedert can be pretty close to as effective as Ertz. He can be replaced. We had 5th string guys at WR starting at both spots. 

You just have some weird anti two tight end set fetish that you'd downgrade the entire 12 personnel group just because you would rather the third persons job title be wide receiver. 

I think that's weird 

isnt the best and easiest outcome at this point Desean, Miles, Dallas, Zach and rookie receiver? Why trade anyone when that group we already use could end being pretty good.

14 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

So you want to trade Goedert so that someone else can just replicate his production for us next year?

I’d imagine a higher end talent at WR, which is probably what you’re getting back in a trade for Ertz or Goedert, playing 90% of the plays is far outperforming the output that our backup TE gave us.