2020 Offseason News and Discussion - Bargain Hunting

Kiltman

Just now, Danger said:

Malcolm is going if he's demanding a raise. Safety will be a need too.

He's an important leader for the defense. Howie needs to bring him back. I'm not on board with giving him top tier safety money but he does deserve a raise.. Out of our ten picks, we need a solid safety in the draft to go behind Rodney and Malcolm 

It’s time to move on from the aging core of the 2017 roster. Peters, Jenkins, Darby, Mills, McLeod, Bradham, Agholar, and Jeffrey (amongst others) - thanks for all of your contributions, but the team needs to get younger and more athletic across the board. Purposely neglecting the corner and linebacking spots needs to be addressed too. I’m sick of them running out JAG’s and backup-caliber players there every year. Get some studs in there who can make tackles and turn their head when the ball is in the air.

I think there needs to be a shakeup of the coaching staff too. I like Schwartz, but if he doesn’t adjust his scheme then there’s no need bringing him back. It’s stale and the inverted cover 2 is one of the worst coverage ideas ever. Groh, Taylor, and Walch all need to go as well. The offense always starts slow and can’t scheme guys open unless they run a 4.3. Bring in some fresh, innovative minds to change things up. The current coaching staff is mediocre, hence why the team has limped to a barely above-average 9-7 finish the last two years. When they talked about the “new norm” they talked about getting playoff byes and home field advantage.

I understand that injuries played a part, but still. GET YOUNGER! No more holding onto vets who are past their prime. Once that happens, get a new medical/training staff in there to ensure that the new wave of players have healthy careers. 

Edited by RBreezy
Of all the players to discard I forgot the most obvious one - Agholar lol

1 minute ago, eagles18 said:

He's an important leader for the defense. Howie needs to bring him back. I'm not on board with giving him top tier safety money but he does deserve a raise.. Out of our ten picks, we need a solid safety in the draft to go behind Rodney and Malcolm 

He's 32 now and asking for a raise. While it's good emotionally these are the kind of decisions that put you in bad situations down the line. Sometimes you have to make that hard choice.

1 minute ago, eagles18 said:

I wouldn't bring back Mills. I think the secondary outside of the Safeties need re-hauled. 

As nice as it’d be...they like Mills and would be a safety signing. Would be tough to totally overhaul in one year.

Do a 2 year deal, with an option. Sign a starting CB, have Mills and then draft a guy early. Best case that guy pushes out Mills to 3rd CB early.

Just now, Danger said:

He's 32 now and asking for a raise. While it's good emotionally these are the kind of decisions that put you in bad situations down the line. Sometimes you have to make that hard choice.

I rather not do another Brian Dawkins move.. the back end suffered for years as a result. I say give him a raise by pushing guaranteed money to 2020 and make any other year not guaranteed. 

• Like 1