2020 Offseason News and Discussion - Bargain Hunting

Kiltman

9 hours ago, brownie man said:

Would you all trade your first straight up for Odell?

I wouldn't trade a bag of footballs for Odell.  He was traded from the Giants because he didn't fit in, and he's already wearing thin in CLE for the same reason.  Chemistry is important; often it even trumps talent.  Teams he's played on seem to put together 5 and 6 win seasons.

On 2/6/2020 at 4:51 AM, Kiltman said:

It sounds like they really liked Graham Harrell...i think he was obviously a plan at some point.
We're left thinking they wanted one of the San Fran Mikes...but wonder if some of the delay was carryover from the attempt to get Kafka away from the Chiefs too.
Lurie is probably involved with this, and he way down in Miami..so many they just pumped the brakes.
I'm sure we'll get pieces to the story from one of the good beat writers at some point about it.
We know this wasn't Plan A for sure though.

Philly special was 3 people really...

1. It was Doug trusting his guy to lead and call his shot.
  2. It was Foles calling said shot and reading that momentum.
  3. It was Press Taylor finding that play on deep film study and putting it in a couple weeks before.

I did always find it funny everyone gives Doug so much credit. Though as evidenced the last 4 years, if you are a coward..you'll lose.
Shanny lost twice, McVay got smoked. Chiefs came back and Eagles took theirs away from the Pats because they played like they wanted it.
So I guess he's owed some level of credit for having the stones to do it.

One of DP's greatest strengths is he's willing to not be the smartest in the room, he's willing to accept he has short comings and someone might have a better idea.
Doesn't work all the time, but for the most part has lead to our success.
And I think it ties into how loyal he is, he trusts everyone around him so much, that he's open for feedback and suggestions.
But as we know that bubbles up into some of his biggest weaknesses. Stick by people too long, and not coaching his coaches.

Like if Phillip Daniels isnt teaching the technique or helping the rotation system, why do you just let that go as a HC?
He has to get on guys.

I can't say that I disagree with anything you said.
And while I don't want Pederson trumping good decisions in favor of other ones because he's the boss, I want him to be the guy who has the best idea most of the time.
I am not sure that I have 100% confidence in that.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 4:12 AM, brownie man said:

I absolutely love the fact that you came into this forum and asked that.

I read our posts.
I also read posts in other forums to take the temperature of what is happening elsewhere.
This sort of thing cuts down on the nonsense.

I think the Eagles would trade for him iff* there was a salary off-set of some sort.
The Eagles are cap-savvy and won't take on contracts willy-nilly.

* "iff" means "if and only if"

Also, send Stadium Mustard!

On 2/7/2020 at 1:12 AM, brownie man said:

nah probably not Im kind of wary of a talented player that gets traded 2 years in a row. What's wrong with him behind the scenes for that to happen?

Edited by ninjapirate

History is doubtful for JJAW

In the last 20 years, for rookies drafted in the 2nd round only 19 WRs have caught 10 or fewer passes year 1. 

to sum up the article...there’s only 1 WR in modern football that was drafted in the second round that went on to be productive after only catching 10 or fewer passes. Vincent Jackson.

I honestly don’t see him being productive year 2  if we draft a WR early (which we should) and if Jeffrey is playing the X taking a majority of the snaps. Which is likely given his contract. 

11 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

In the last 20 years, for rookies drafted in the 2nd round only 19 WRs have caught 10 or fewer passes year 1. 

to sum up the article...there’s only 1 WR in modern football that was drafted in the second round that went on to be productive after only catching 10 or fewer passes. Vincent Jackson.

I honestly don’t see him being productive year 2  if we draft a WR early (which we should) and if Jeffrey is playing the X taking a majority of the snaps. Which is likely given his contract. 

To sum up my eyeball test, I don't see him being productive either, unless we move him to slot and force feed him the ball like we did with J Matt, when he was our slot. If we have JJAW run the hospital ball crossing route repeatedly, he too can get 700-900 yards.

6 hours ago, nlesthought said:

Funny. That’s exactly who I said he may be able to top out as. Let’s hope he has a good summer and sees some of that potential. 

7 hours ago, nlesthought said:

They shouldn’t rely on him but also should write him off. 

i still can’t believe that with all those wr injuries he did nothing. That is damning 

• Like 1

I really dislike these ESPN “dominoes” scenario: 

So we miss out on the big name CBs Harris/ Jones/ Roby 

scenario A:

sign 

Brian Poole 3years/18 & Eli Apple 1/5

scenario B:

sign 

Xavier Rhodes 1/$5 & Patrick Robinson 1/$2 

Why both have us signing a slot CB when that didn’t seem like a sore spot. We had injuries so guys were on rotation but if we get 16 out of the combination of Maddox, LeBlanc, James I’m fine. 

5 hours ago, nlesthought said:

I really dislike these ESPN “dominoes” scenario: 

So we miss out on the big name CBs Harris/ Jones/ Roby 

scenario A:

sign 

Brian Poole 3years/18 & Eli Apple 1/5

scenario B:

sign 

Xavier Rhodes 1/$5 & Patrick Robinson 1/$2 

Why both have us signing a slot CB when that didn’t seem like a sore spot. We had injuries so guys were on rotation but if we get 16 out of the combination of Maddox, LeBlanc, James I’m fine. 

I don't think we're gonna brown bag it at corner this year. I think we land one of the big fish and bring Mills back. A lot of the podcasts I listen to, support that big fish sentiment as well.

51 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I don't think we're gonna brown bag it at corner this year. I think we land one of the big fish and bring Mills back. A lot of the podcasts I listen to, support that big fish sentiment as well.

Unfortunately bringing back Mills is barf-bagging it.  It's the definition of insanity to keep putting that guy out there and expecting him to do anything other than stink.

2 hours ago, TDTimes said:

Unfortunately bringing back Mills is barf-bagging it.  It's the definition of insanity to keep putting that guy out there and expecting him to do anything other than stink.

Well the part about bringing in a big fish isn't brown bagging. Byron Jones would change our secondary. I'm not totally on board with bringing Mills back, I wouldn't be totally against it. You can do a tad worse than Mills imo. Personally I'd be happy starting a hypothetical Byron Jones and Maddox on the outside, with LeBlanc in the slot.

10 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Well the part about bringing in a big fish isn't brown bagging. Byron Jones would change our secondary. I'm not totally on board with bringing Mills back, I wouldn't be totally against it. You can do a tad worse than Mills imo. Personally I'd be happy starting a hypothetical Byron Jones and Maddox on the outside, with LeBlanc in the slot.

Mills is fine so long as he isn't expecting much in the way of $$$