2020 Offseason News and Discussion - Bargain Hunting

Kiltman

A 2nd is top value for a guy in his situation. I’d give up a 3rd and change, sign him to a 5 year deal where I can wiggle out of it after 3. 

Trade for Slay, sign Anthony Harris, guarantee some money to Malcolm for the next two years and let the kids compete for the 2nd CB spot. Now, secondary is a strength. 

The DL will be much improved with Jackson back. I’d say roll with DB one more year and mix in the kids where necessary. 

LBs are ok to get by on. Send some draft equity that direction. 

I would really like our 2020 defense if it sets up this way. 

4 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

A 2nd is top value for a guy in his situation. I’d give up a 3rd and change, sign him to a 5 year deal where I can wiggle out of it after 3. 

Trade for Slay, sign Anthony Harris, guarantee some money to Malcolm for the next two years and let the kids compete for the 2nd CB spot. Now, secondary is a strength. 

The DL will be much improved with Jackson back. I’d say roll with DB one more year and mix in the kids where necessary. 

LBs are ok to get by on. Send some draft equity that direction. 

I would really like our 2020 defense if it sets up this way. 

Slay, Harris, and malcolm all want around 15 per year, most likely.

LB is not ok. It's bad. 

Edited by Jeezla

33 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Slay, Harris, and malcolm all want around 15 per year, most likely.

LB is not ok. It's bad. 

Slay and Harris maybe. No way Jenkins is getting 15 a year. He last averaged like 8-9 his last contract. 

If I can upgrade my secondary with that, I’ll start you at LB. The FO clearly doesn’t value it, I wouldn’t expect them to do much. I would cut Bradham, let Gerry and Edwards battle it out and sign a mid range FA. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jroc04 said:

Slay and Harris maybe. No way Jenkins is getting 15 a year. He last averaged like 8-9 his last contract. 

If I can upgrade my secondary with that, I’ll start you at LB. The FO clearly doesn’t value it, I wouldn’t expect them to do much. I would cut Bradham, let Gerry and Edwards battle it out and sign a mid range FA. 

think they have to value having at least one good guy at LB...makes no sense to go much beyond that though.

I think Jenk would be somewhere around 12 with more guarantees

20 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

The only decent mid range LB is Nick Kwiatkoski. Blake Martinez, Joe Schobert, and Littleton will all get decent coin. And we won't be the only team competing for Koski. I'm all for replacing Bradham, but only if it's at least an equal or better player.

Gerry would be freaking terrible at MLB. You really wanna watch Zeke and Saquon truck stick his 215 lb butt multiple times a game? He also can't shed blocks for crap. Gerry should only be on the field during obvious pass downs. Edwards has proven absolutely nothing and his athleticism leaves much to be desired.

Malcolm might not want 15, but he'll want at least 11 or 12. Slay apparently wants 16+. Harris will be one of the most sought after FA's if he's not tagged.

Give me Byron Jones over Slay, all day. Slay has 2, maybe 3 good years left, and couldn't stay healthy last year. Jones is younger, bigger, and doesn't cost us any picks.

And we are totally out of the running for Harris unless we move on from Jenkins. We aren't paying 2 safeties 11-13 mill each. It's one or the other.

Edited by Jeezla

I made a comment before that I wanted no part of Robby Anderson at the $14M price he’s apparently asking for.  To me he looks like a poor man’s Desean Jackson, and would be redundant with Jackson signed for 2 more years.

As lean as the WR FA market looks, there is a possibility both Corey Davis and Sammy Watkins are cap casualties this offseason.  I was surprised that Spotrac listed the market value for both at $10.9M per.  I also didn’t realize Watkins is only 26.

For me, I’d put both Watkins and Davis above Anderson on a wish list — if they become available 

29 minutes ago, TDTimes said:

I made a comment before that I wanted no part of Robby Anderson at the $14M price he’s apparently asking for.  To me he looks like a poor man’s Desean Jackson, and would be redundant with Jackson signed for 2 more years.

As lean as the WR FA market looks, there is a possibility both Corey Davis and Sammy Watkins are cap casualties this offseason.  I was surprised that Spotrac listed the market value for both at $10.9M per.  I also didn’t realize Watkins is only 26.

For me, I’d put both Watkins and Davis above Anderson on a wish list — if they become available 

At 14M, probably none of us want Robby Anderson. At 10M, I want Robby Anderson. He's redundant with D Jax, but at least he's 6'3 and will still be fast for another 5 years. He's also from around the Philly area, so that's fun. I will say he looks a bit crack-ish. Like he might go Aaron Hernandez one day.

Image result for robby anderson

That guy has killed small animals for sure. Hopefully his need to kill doesn't progress to humans, but at the same, would you be surprised?

He might already be planning to murk Wentz.

On second thought, I hope he signs with the Jags, and they move to London.

Edited by Jeezla

26 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

The only decent mid range LB is Nick Kwiatkoski. Blake Martinez, Joe Schobert, and Littleton will all get decent coin. And we won't be the only team competing for Koski. I'm all for replacing Bradham, but only if it's at least an equal or better player.

Gerry would be freaking terrible at MLB. You really wanna watch Zeke and Saquon truck stick his 215 lb butt multiple times a game? He also can't shed blocks for crap. Gerry should only be on the field during obvious pass downs. Edwards has proven absolutely nothing and his athleticism leaves much to be desired.

Malcolm might not want 15, but he'll want at least 11 or 12. Slay apparently wants 16+. Harris will be one of the most sought after FA's if he's not tagged.

Give me Byron Jones over Slay, all day. Slay has 2, maybe 3 good years left, and couldn't stay healthy last year. Jones is younger, bigger, and doesn't cost us any picks.

And we are totally out of the running for Harris unless we move on from Jenkins. We aren't paying 2 safeties 11-13 mill each. It's one or the other.

Good points. We don’t completely agree on a lot of that but nothing I’ll die on a hill for. I’m clearly higher on some guys more than you. I will say that I think you underestimate Howie and his ability to bend the cap year to year. He could easily give, say a guy like Harris, a big contract and minimize the hit until a re-upped contract of Jenkins is off the books. And we can complain about the LBs all we like but I didn’t see any glaring deficiencies from last year. The corners and I guess maybe the scheme or personnel use was more the issue, IMO. Take that same roster and give me Harris and Slay or even Jones and it’s an immensely better defense. Season changing even. 

8 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Good points. We don’t completely agree on a lot of that but nothing I’ll die on a hill for. I’m clearly higher on some guys more than you. I will say that I think you underestimate Howie and his ability to bend the cap year to year. He could easily give, say a guy like Harris, a big contract and minimize the hit until a re-upped contract of Jenkins is off the books. And we can complain about the LBs all we like but I didn’t see any glaring deficiencies from last year. The corners and I guess maybe the scheme or personnel use was more the issue, IMO. Take that same roster and give me Harris and Slay or even Jones and it’s an immensely better defense. Season changing even. 

Howies cap bending ability kinda died like 2 years ago. The league changed some crap so it's harder to move money around or something, I don't really remember. It's not like we got a bargain with Wentz or Brandon Brooks (Definitely didn't on the B-Rex extension), and he made it harder to cut Alshon, D Jax, and B Graham. The Howie magic is fading fast, if there's any left at all. 

Edited by Jeezla

26 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Gimme Byron Jones and everything else is gravy on defense tbh

But if we do miss out on Byron...Then give me Chris Jones at DT next to Cox, with Malik Jackson rotating in as the 3rd DT. I can roll with 2 rookies at CB with that DT rotation. And yes, I know Chris will cost more than Byron. I don't care. I want the Mississippi State wrecking crew starting at DT.