2020 Offseason News and Discussion - Bargain Hunting

Kiltman

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Wade Phillips? Or someone young and up and coming?

Talking to Broncos fans about the likelihood of Vic Fangio leaving and its pretty slim considering he's had only 1 year. I always wanted him to be our DC. He'd be my first choice if he were to be fired.

3 hours ago, DeJack_10 said:

EAGLES 2020 NFL DRAFT PICKS

1 - Eagles’ own pick

2 - Eagles’ own pick

3 - Eagles’ own pick

3 - Projected compensatory pick (Nick Foles)

4 - Eagles’ own pick

4 - Projected compensatory pick (Jordan Hicks)

4 - Projected compensatory pick (Golden Tate)

5 - Eagles’ own pick

5 - Acquired from the New England Patriots

6 - Acquired from the Atlanta Falcons

We have 2 3rds and 3 4ths.

Think Howie is looking into trading some/one of these extra picks for an impact player? Worth a discussion, but also have to keep in mind that this is a deep WR class, an area we cannot afford to miss on. 

we need youth and to get rid of a lot of old players we shouldnt trade any picks

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

Jroc mentioned marvin. I was asking because I didn't exactly follow Marvin's tenure 

He was the DC for the Ravens way back when, and I believe was the one who crafted what would just get passed down from coordinator to coordinator til this day. They’ve each had tweaks of course, but the shell has stayed similar. So I’m going off what they’ve done more recently.

But it’s a 3-4 hybrid. They but they do shift it a lot. Usually a rusher stays down most the time (Think Suggs)

they do give penetration looks, but there is way more emphasis on LB play. So the DTs will two gap. It’s for that reason I don’t think it’d be a great fit. As we need a 1 gap scheme that will let Fletcher thrive.

But Ravens DCs usually craft things around their guys, and it’s been almost two decades since he’s been a DC. So whos to say what he’d do now.

It sucks because Schwartz’ scheme is the best fit for what we have. Let’s the DTs go nuts, hides a lack of speed  at DE, and overall athleticism at LB. The issue is it relies on CB play being a high level. And Howie isn’t giving him the talent there to make things work. He’s not perfect but if he had more talent we could be a top defense with such a dominant force in Fletcher running the show.

Schwartz isn't going anywhere unless Hired by Cleveland. Nor should he! To be honest with you , He showed more adaptation and willingness to adjust his scheme  (Blitzing Specifically) then any other time I can remember.  

Imagine his Scheme  if We actually had Good CB? If Sidney Jones was 1/2 the Stud we all thought he was going to be? Darby and Mills weren't complete Trash? He's not as bad as most make him out to be especially given the Injuries on that side of the ball the past two seasons!

We just need better players! Get em!

10 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

DBs are easily the 2nd most criticized position in the league behind QB. IDK if its that Darby and Jones are complete utter trash or if its they're at a disadvantage in the grand scheme of things.  

I think Jim’s scheme definitely doesn’t do them any favors.

but they all have deficiencies. Largely they lack elite speed which helps cover up mistakes. 

Darby has the most speed but has been hurt a lot and not the smartest player. Jones’ injuries derailed him and has been in his head since. Mills has a lot of qualities you want in a corner besides the top flight speed and it hurts him at least once a game terribly. Douglas has a ton of the mental down at this point, and shows a lot in the strength side...he just doesn’t have the speed to be a week in/week out starter. Maddox has agility and smarts, but size and top speed holds him back. Leblanc has nestled into a great interior role for himself...like what he’s shown a lot there.

If we could get an elite Corner to head off the group I feel like a lot of things would fall into place. 

I want Maddox as the #2 CB next year, no more slot. All outside reps. LeBlanc can be the full time long term slot. Get that #1 corner and we're looking solid at CB with Rasul and Sidney as the primary backups. Something like Roby/Fuller/Waynes/Jones-Maddox-LeBlanc-Douglas-Sidney I'd be cool with. Gotta draft a young guy rounds 2-3 to feed the pipeline as well.

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

Like. I could understand if you wanted to keep Groh, I wouldn't like it but I could understand and disagree with it. Walch? Dude should have been fired Week 9.

He kinda backtracked slightly, saying he was still evaluating. But yeah seems like Status quo going into 2020.

I know there was a late surge of pro-Walch takes for all these young guys playing so well. Was it really just Alshon being moody, Nelly being a head case, and Desean being hurt all year that made us think he was the issue? Seems odd to me.

He was also asked about, in a very dumb way, bringing in a senior offensive coach to help and said he thought about it in 2016 and would maybe do it again...but he didn’t bring it up unprompted.

Overall neither Doug, nor Howie, said anything really. Besides acknowledging we are old and probably what lead to our injury issues these last bunch of years. And we need to add speed and be better at the draft.

I assume that Doug believes that the injuries was the reason the WRs under performed so he giving the coaches another season with younger, faster, and healthier players. That is my only guess. I hope he is right because I think most know they will be drafting heavy on WRs and DBs and they need to develop these players.