Malcolm Jenkins said he won’t be back in Phila on the same deal, should we sign him?

turtle28

5 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Love the player!!!! But I pass. I think Collins is our stud/ leader on the back. I like Jenkins have been very high on him since college but he’s getting up there. I believe we can find a FS. Maybe Apke can show something as he’s looked solid on special teams. I’d like to see if there’s something there

Do you agree w/ me that moving Collins to WLB in Our 4-3 will be the best thing for the team and him, or do you think we should keep Collins at SS?

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Do you agree w/ me that moving Collins to WLB in Our 4-3 will be the best thing for the team and him, or do you think we should keep Collins at SS?

I’ve always liked Collins at SS. But he can play WLB. I just think he needs a running mate that doesn’t get lost as easily as Nicholson

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ripsean21 said:

I’ve always liked Collins at SS. But he can play WLB. I just think he needs a running mate that doesn’t get lost as easily as Nicholson

That's for damn sure, but I think the closer to the LOS he is, the better. That's his game, he’s more LB than safety. He’s the size of a big safety but he plays like a LB. 

Having him at WLB, Bostic/Foster/Holcomb at MLB or SLB will put a lot speed in our LB corps.

I really like Malcolm Jenkins the player, and I really like Malcolm Jenkins the person. Which probably makes what I’m about to say pretty strange. 

I want him nowhere near this football team. 

As far as I’m concerned, there are two types of veteran players. The first type, I’d refer to as the “Patriot type.” Working hard, keeping their head down, existing with a team structure, “we” guys. They’ve learned that that’s how you consistently win, and that’s what they care about. On the other hand, you’ve got the “NFC East type.” These are guys who are at the point in their careers where they’re much more concerned with themselves. Their brand, their money, their off-field stuff, their life after football. They’ve had some success, and because of that, they feel like they’re owed something. Like they deserve something just because of what they’ve accomplished in the past. 

We already have one of these on our roster, a guy who apparently thinks he deserves a “lifetime achievement” contract extension. He’s gone into business for himself — which is absolutely his right, but you don’t win with guys like that. Malcolm Jenkins is obviously in the same sort of frame of mind. Ready to walk away from a team he’s been on for years, won a Super Bowl with, and just won the division with. Because he doesn’t feel like he’s being paid enough money, based on his past performance. That’s a guy who’s worried about Malcolm, moreso than he is about winning games. We’ve had too much of that over the last two decades, and we don’t need any more of it. 

5 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

So we signed Collins to a huge contract and we want to switch his position after one season to sign Jenkins who you thought was a FS? Do I have it?

Jenkins has played FS his entire career until like 2 years ago. He can do both but I don’t want to give him an huge contract bc of age. 

Collins is better around the line of scrimmage. I’d rather move him to WLB to take advantage of the best parts of his game.

I’d rather move Collins who already plays like a WLB then to sign a different LB to be honest bc I know what Collins brings to the table as a player and run stuffer/tackler.

I mean no mistake about it, as I’ve said since Sean Died, if you want to have a good or great D, you need at least a good FS - all the best defenses have them. So, unless you want to trot out Nicholson again or have faith that Apke is the answer we are going to have to spend some $ to get an upgrade at FS. I just don’t think we should be giving a 32 year old player a Landon Collins type deal even though Jenkins is a better player and will probably be a Hall of Famer some day.

Even if we sign say Tre Boston, he’s going to cost $4 or 5 million. Just look at the list of safeties salaries today:

https://overthecap.com/position/safety/

Edited by turtle28

13 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I cut Nicholson, so no I don't want to trot him out there.

Give me an answer on who you’d like to be our starting FS next year? I’ve come up with 2 names - depending on cost - and I could come up with a few more.

If we got a better coverage FS and moved Collins to WLB then, Nicholson May be a candidate for our starting SS but he is too poor a run defender/tackler for me TBH. I think in the end your prediction is right and Nicholson will be cut in late August or September.

1 hour ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

We already have one highly paid disappointing safety on the roster, why grab a second?

The pro bowler? Yeah, he's so so disappointing.... And Jenkins is also a pro bowl safety.

If you don’t want pro bowl safeties and want be cheap then you're going to being stuck with the Rambo’s/Doughty’s of the world and our defense will be even worse. We have to invest in the FS position and we don't have enough draft capital to get one in round 2 that would likely come in start in year 2 like Thornhill and Rapp did this year.

The status quo of Nicholson is not good enough.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Give me an answer on who you’d like to be our starting FS next year? I’ve come up with 2 names - depending on cost - and I could come up with a few more.

If we got a better coverage FS and moved Collins to WLB then, Nicholson May be a candidate for our starting SS but he is too poor a run defender/tackler for me TBH. I think in the end your prediction is right and Nicholson will be cut in late August or September.

Boston, sure. Anthony Harris? Karl Joseph? Randall? Sendejo on a rebound?

As an Eagles fan, I'm not willing to give him any significant money beyond 2021 and we are relatively strapped for cash in 2021. Honestly I think it's best for the Eagles to part ways, and for a team looking to build for the future like Washington, given his circumstances, I'd not want to sign him.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Boston, sure. Anthony Harris? Karl Joseph? Randall? Sendejo on a rebound?

I'd take any of them except Sendejo, I have no interest in trying the “hey, this 30 some years old vet will rebound” signing anymore.

For me, it’s either draft someone else to compete and role with what we have, sign an ok safety in their prime and hope they play better or sign a good to great safety, even if they’re getting older.

I’m beyond tired of watching crappy FS play on our team, it’s been a decade of this. It needs to end.

Edited by turtle28