Rams 'fire' DC Wade Phillips

AFlaccoSeagulls

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

This guy's career is bizarre.  He always comes in and upgrades a defense year 1, then a few years down the line all of his guys turn on him, the defense collapses and he gets fired.  

Rams were a good defense this year though I thought.

They finished 8th overall in DVOA, 9th against the pass and 8th against the run vs. the 3rd toughest DVOA schedule.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

Have you guys been running a 3-4? what would a transistion to such look like on paper (lets assume you retain Ngakoue)

It's been a 4-3 but most feel like that'd be a welcomed transition. We have a need for a NT and major LB help regardless of scheme. But I believe Yan and Allen would benefit from a switch, as would Smoot and likely Myles. Myles doesn't look like he's a great fit as a MLB in a 4-3 and if we stayed likely needs to move to WILL.

28 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

They finished 8th overall in DVOA, 9th against the pass and 8th against the run vs. the 3rd toughest DVOA schedule.

The Rams defense was inconsistent. Had a lot of games of dominance but way too inconsistent. The Ravens, Seahawks, Bucs, and Cowboys games were just pitiful. I think most Rams fans were pretty indifferent if they wanted him back. 

29 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

They weren't bad, but games like the Ravens and Cowboys ones should never happen when you have a defense with Donald, Ramsey, Fowler, Littleton, etc on it. 

That being said, I don't think Phillips should be the scapegoat here. Losing JJ really hurt the defense as a whole and most of the downs we had on defense I would put on the players. Still boggles my mind how we don't get pressure on every single play with AD taking up 2-3 blockers. 

But haven’t all of these CB moves been geared towards fitting into what Phillips asks of his corners? I believe that was what a lot of Rams fans believed the issue to be with the defense right? Seems strange not to keep em when you’re adding players who fit his system.

1 minute ago, Fureys49ers said:

But haven’t all of these CB moves been geared towards fitting into what Phillips asks of his corners? I believe that was what a lot of Rams fans believed the issue to be with the defense right? Seems strange not to keep em when you’re adding players who fit his system.

It is indeed.