Rams 'fire' DC Wade Phillips

AFlaccoSeagulls

4 hours ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Really good thread. 

the writings been on the wall since last year. Mcvay seems like he probably wants more control. 

My thoughts as well. I don't think its anything Machiavellian but I do think he really wants to be the next Belicheck, which involves mastering (or at least being well versed) in all aspects of the game. I also agree that the need someone who can be more strategic in terms of how they play defense. The league is too good to be easy to read. Not sold on Barry being the replacement but we'll wait and see who comes. I give credit to McVay's approach. In a league where even the best coaches remain one sided (Reid and Payton being virtually all offense, Carroll and Zimmer being all defense) even with decades of experience, McVay seems to get really know what it takes to push himself forward.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Would be awesome if he becomes the 49ers DC if Saleh gets a head coaching job. He'd probably be long gone by then though. I love Wade. He's had success everywhere he's been.

He’s had success the first couple years. Then it goes downhill 

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

McVay wanted to go a different, younger direction, and most of us fans were expecting it after Wade's defense laid eggs in big games down the stretch. Also, I'm not buying that it's Joe Barry until the words have come out of McVay's mouth.

For your sake, pray it doesn't.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Not at all his stops though. Also, the Rams were pretty decent defensively the past year. Surprised he was fired. The Rams problems on offense seemed like a bigger deal. 

Stats are misleading. We got blown out in games that mattered. Namely the Cowboys and Ravens games.

We were inconsistent on defense. Which put our offense in a hole. I have more confidence in our offense than our defense right now 

27 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Stats are misleading. We got blown out in games that mattered. Namely the Cowboys and Ravens games.

We were inconsistent on defense. Which put our offense in a hole. I have more confidence in our offense than our defense right now 

Which games were the ones that didn't matter when you looked at the schedule at the start of the season? 

37 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Which games were the ones that didn't matter when you looked at the schedule at the start of the season? 

You know what he means. I do agree though but many of times like in the Bucs game! It was the offense that put the defense in a bad hole. And we sometimes tend to over look that. I truly think Wade has a lot of juice left. But for some reason it nerved clicked in LA.. And that’s with having the best NFL player in the game at his hands. A bit too is the FO. They tried to top heavy approach and it didn’t work. Besides Donald the defense as a whole was lack luster. 

The defense was always gashed. Lacked any sort of run stopping discipline. I will admit though his second half adjustments much like Mcvays were god like at times(saints NFC Championship game). He did bring the juice in the SB game. But the defense could have been way better. There was zero discipline all around the board. The safeties were lost 90% of the time in his scheme. 

59 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Fair point.

But we needed to have wins against the Ravens and Cowboys for the sake of making playoffs and the defense let us down when we needs them most