Leisher's Home sick 2020 Mock draft

jleisher

Going to try to go a little more in depth.  My salary cap numbers might be a little off, but you can get my main idea.  Again, it's way to early for anything to be rock solid, so look at this mock as a what if.

2020 Cap Space:   $31.5m

Cuts:

80 - TE Jimmy GrahamJimmy Graham TE  (Time to move on, not worth the $11m owed.  Cap saved $8m)

65 - G Lane TaylorLane Taylor G  (Lost his job, Packers can find a cheaper back up.  Cap saved $4.1m)

63 - C Corey LinsleyCorey Linsley C  (Resigning Patrick to start at C, saves Packers $.  Cap saved $8.5m)

New 2020 Cap space:  $52.1m

Resigns:

75 - T Bryan BulagaBryan Bulaga T  2yrs/ $24m  $8m guan  (2020 cap hit $8m)

2019-Crosby-Mason-hsMason Crosby K  2yrs/ $8m  $2m guan  (2020 cap hit $3m)

50 - LB Blake MartinezBlake Martinez ILB  4yrs/ $44m $8m guan (2020 cap hit $9m)

68 - T Jared VeldheerJared Valdheer T  1yr/ $5m $2m guan (2020 cap hit $3m)  Veteran backup at both RT and LT.

2020 Cap Space:  $29.1m

Outside Free Agents:

This is a 2019 photo of Javon Hargrave of the Pittsburgh Steelers NFL football team. This image reflects the Steelers active roster as of April 30th when this image was taken. (AP Photo)Javon Hargrave DE Steelers  4yrs/$64m $12m guan (2020 cap hit $14m)  60 Tackles, 4 Sacks, 6 QB hits and 1 FF.  Front 3 is now Lowry-Clark-Hargrave.

Perriman_BreshadBreshad Perriman WR Bucs  3yrs/$21m $6m guan (2020 cap hit $5m)  Comes in as the #2 WR.

Wisniewski_StefenStefen Wisniewski C/G Chiefs  2yrs/$4m  (2020 cap hit $2m)  Teams with Valdheer to give the Packers some veteran OL back ups at a lower cost.

This is a 2019 photo of Nick Vannett of the Pittsburgh Steelers NFL football team. This image reflects the Steelers active roster as of September 27th when this image was taken. (AP Photo)Nick Vannett TE Steelers  2yrs/$4m  (2020 cap hit $2m)  Younger and cheaper blocking TE

2020 Cap space $6.1m

2020 Draft  (Packers draft at #30)

#30.  Trade pick along with pick #192 and 2021 5th rd pick to Colts for picks #44 and #75.

#44.  

Brandon Aiyuk NFL

Scouting Report: Brandon Aiyuk

School: Arizona State Position: Wide Receiver Class: Senior Height: 6’1″ Weight: 206 

Scouting Report:

Has emerged as a star after being overshadowed by superstar N’Keal Harry. At first glance, appears to be more of a vertical, outside receiver whose job it is to take the top off of defenses. However, with more tape evaluation, it is clear that Aiyuk is a polished and versatile receiver. He is a smooth route runner, that gets nice acceleration out of cuts, and has a knack for finding openings in defenses. He is a natural catcher of the ball, and in particular, tracks the deep ball extremely well. Aiyuk has shown that he is very comfortable in the slot, and his yards after catch is impressive. An excellent all around wide receiver prospect.  (Adams, Perriman, Lazard, ESB, MVS and Aiyuk at WR.)

#62.

Brycen Hopkins NFL

Scouting Report: Brycen Hopkins

School: Purdue Position: Tight End Class: Senior Height: 6’5″ Weight: 245 

Scouting Report:

Primarily a receiver as a tight end, but has more power and blocking abilities than most “move” tight ends coming out of college. In the passing game, has very quick feet and runs crisp and disciplined routes. Very soft hands and catches the ball away from his body, tucks it into his body quickly and is able to get up field and get YAC. Able to work in the slot and on the outside equally. Effective as a pass blocker, but would not be a big asset with run blocking at this time.  (TE group of Tonyan, Hopkins, Vannett and Sternberger.)

#75.

Darryl Williams 2020 NFL Mock Draft

Scouting Report: Darryl Williams

School: Mississippi State Position: Offensive Guard/Center Class: Senior Height: 6’2 Weight: 305

Scouting Report:

Exceptional interior offensive lineman that works best within smaller spaces. Locks on to defenders and has excellent strength to secure the block. Lower body strength is also very good, and can drive defenders back in the run game to make lanes. A clear interior blocker that won’t be considered as a tackle, but when given fixed zones to work with, is an elite run and pass blocker.  (Joins an OL group with Bulaga, Turner, Patrick, Jenkins, Bak, Veldheer and Wisniewski.)

#136.  

Shyheim Carter NFL

Scouting Report: Shyheim Carter

School: Alabama Position: Safety Class: Senior Height: 6’1″ Weight: 200 

Scouting Report:

Excelled in coverage against opposing offenses’ quickest players in the slot, and rarely gives up any room in coverage to these receivers. So far has shown excellent coverage skills in the slot, and hasn’t been required to move around the secondary. However, that will change as he will probably see more work deeper in the secondary. Can be moved around all over the defense, and is particularly efficient with blitzes and defending the run. A willing and able tackler that doesn’t take many bad angles. Has some injury concerns, in that the injury he sustained has a history of coming back. Extremely well coached and will be an out of the box, ready to play prospect after being drafted.

#176.

Tommy Kraemer NFL

Scouting Report: Tommy Kraemer

School: Notre Dame Position: Offensive Guard/Center Class: Senior Height: 6’6 Weight: 320 

Scouting Report:

Blockish frame that carries his weight well and has very good strength, even for his massive size. Works best in constrained areas when he can quickly lock on to a defender and drive him back. Gifted run blocker with a bulldozer mentality. Has played multiple positions, but will probably be viewed best as a guard at the next level. Good footwork with small lateral moves, and when getting to the next level, but probably doesn’t have the athleticism to work the kickstep vs speed in the NFL. Will instantly improve a team’s run game, and has the game experience and football smarts to play right away.  (Teams with Williams as the new younger OL, can also play T.)

Evan Weaver NFL

Scouting Report: Evan Weaver

School: California Position: Inside/Outside Linebacker Class: Senior Height: 6’3″ Weight: 245

Scouting Report:

Coming to Cal as a defensive end, Weaver has been worked as an outside linebacker and has found a spot currently as an inside linebacker. Thriving in coverage and with read and reactions, has a knack for getting to the play quickly, and is relentless in his pursuit of the ball carrier. Not a true thumper in the middle, more of playmaker that is best used when is allowed to free range in the defense. Could be used inside or outside at the next level depending on scheme. A smart, experienced player that is ready to start in the NFL from day one.  (Offers flexibility and helps the ILB depth.  See in some big boards he's very low.  Could be steal in round 6.)

#219.

Shaq Smith NFL

Scouting Report: Shaq Smith

School: Maryland Position: Inside Linebacker Class: Graduate Transfer Height: 6’2″ Weight: 250 

Scouting Report:

An excellent leader one the best teams in college football the last few years, Smith came out of high school as a 5 star prospect, but never found a full time starting position for Clemson. After graduating early, he transferred to Maryland, and should instantly be a starter on a far less talented defensive core. A very solidly built inside linebacker, he is best suited to working on containing the gaps and rushing the passer in certain situations. Well coached, smart, and patient with his assignments, Smith is an extremely reliable presence in the middle of the field, allowing players around him to roam the field and work sideline to sideline. As Maryland switches to a 3-4, Smith should shine in a role where he can be utilize his best attributes – moving forward and dominating on the interior.  (Double dip in a position of need.  Weaverand Smith can replace Fackrell and Goodson.)

#240 and #247 traded for 2021 6th round pick.

Overall I like it. Not a big fan of letting Linsley go, but understand why. 

I really have no clue what Perriman is gonna cost. I think he might have worked himself into that 2 year $10m AAV range, but this could be reasonable. 

I honestly don't know much about the draft class yet but the positions look alright. I like grabbing two skill positions, but I think that 's a little overkill with Perriman and another TE free agent.  IMO I would still like to grab another corner or DE, but all depends on who's available. 

33 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

No, that should be a huge "Yes!!!" for Blake.  Only $8M guaranteed.  That's an easy win there.  No way he does that deal, but if that were the case, it's a great contract for GB.

Sure the low guaranteed money is great but accounting for anywhere near $10 million against the cap any season he's still here and manning the MLB position if a huge NO from me. What you're saying is simply that the dead cap wouldn't be so bad once they decide to move on. I'd rather improve at the spot or get the same production for far less than Martinez is going to get.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Anonymous said:

Sure the low guaranteed money is great but accounting for anywhere near $10 million against the cap any season he's still here and manning the MLB position if a huge NO from me. What you're saying is simply that the dead cap wouldn't be so bad once they decide to move on. I'd rather improve at the spot or get the same production for far less than Martinez is going to get.

Who you got that will cost less than this scenario?  And have the easy "out"????

Blake balls out and looks great because he has another quality DL in front of him?  Easy keep.

He gets injured and doesn't live up to the deal?  Easy out.

Draft a kid who looks great?  Easy out.

It's a great deal for GB and one that Blake would likely never sign.

• Like 1

Danny Trevathan ILB 30 CHI TBD 9   70 1 4 1   $7,000,000 UFA -
Kyle Van Noy ILB 29 NE TBD 15   57 7 15 3   $5,878,548 UFA -
Wesley Woodyard ILB 34 TEN TBD 15   42 1 2 1   $3,500,000 UFA -
Cory Littleton ILB 26 LAR TBD 16   134 4 5 2 2 $3,095,000 UFA -
Patrick Onwuasor ILB 28 BAL TBD 14   65 3 6 1   $3,095,000 UFA -
Darron Lee ILB 25 KC TBD 16   31         $2,555,412 UFA -
Ryan Shazier ILB 27 PIT TBD               $2,376,803 UFA -
Daren Bates ILB 29 TEN TBD 13 11 10     1   $2,000,000 UFA -
Joe Thomas ILB 29 DAL TBD 15   34     1   $1,800,000 UFA -
Nick Dzubnar ILB 29 LAC TBD 16   8         $1,525,000 UFA -
Neville Hewitt ILB 27 NYJ TBD 12   75 3 8   2 $1,500,000 UFA -
Reggie Ragland ILB 26 KC TBD 14   30 2 3     $1,460,343 UFA -
Kamalei Correa ILB 26 TEN TBD 16   37 5 6     $1,437,410 UFA -
Josh Bynes ILB 31 BAL TBD 12   45 1 2   2 $930,000 UFA -
Jon Bostic ILB 29 WAS TBD 16   104 1 6   1 $895,000 UFA -
Kevin Minter ILB 29 TB TBD 16   33   1     $895,000 UFA -
Mike Hull ILB 29 MIA TBD               $895,000 UFA -
David Mayo ILB 27 NYG TBD 16   82 2 3     $805,000 UFA -
Albert McClellan ILB 34 NYJ TBD 5   9         $805,000 UFA -
LaRoy Reynolds ILB 29 CIN TBD 15   6   1     $805,000 UFA -
Bryce Hager ILB 28 LAR TBD 5   11         $805,000 UFA -
Corey Nelson ILB 28 DEN TBD 7   10         $805,000 UFA -
D.J. Alexander ILB 28 JAC TBD 5   7         $805,000 UFA -
Stephone Anthony ILB 28 NO TBD 12 27 1         $805,000 UFA -
Deone Bucannon ILB 28 NYG TBD 14   28   1     $805,000 UFA -
Will Compton ILB 30 OAK TBD 9   41         $805,000 UFA -
Manti Te'o ILB 29 NO TBD 3   6   1     $805,000 UFA -
Preston Brown ILB 27 JAC TBD 10   55     1   $805,000 UFA -
Ray-Ray Armstrong ILB 29 DAL TBD 6   1         $805,000 UFA -
Joe Schobert ILB 26 CLE TBD 16   133 2 4 2 4 $743,489 UFA -
B.J. Goodson ILB 27 GB TBD 15 256 37         $730,552 UFA -
Nick Kwiatkoski ILB 27 CHI TBD 16   76 3 3 1 1 $728,780 UFA -
Blake Martinez ILB 26 GB TBD 16   155 3 3 1 1 $680,848 UFA -
Jatavis Brown ILB 26 LAC TBD 13   10         $631,096 UFA -
Tyler Matakevich ILB 27 PIT TBD 16   18         $600,763 UFA -

That's the list of ILB hitting unrestricted free agency this offseason. Not one is coming off a contract with AAV of 10 million dollars. I have faith that we can get the same if not better production at ILB replacing Martinez.

They gotta have less than $8M guaranteed money.  How does that whittle down the list?

I'm not arguing for Blake.  I'm arguing for a contract that gives you a top 10 tackler with $2M guaranteed money for 4 years.  

Find me that guy.

Edited by vegas492

56 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

They gotta have less than $8M guaranteed money.  How does that whittle down the list?

I'm not arguing for Blake.  I'm arguing for a contract that gives you a top 10 tackler with $2M guaranteed money for 4 years.  

Find me that guy.

They don't necessarily have to have less than $8 million in guarantees. I'm focused on getting a better player in there or at worst getting a similar performing player at less than Martinez is going to get in free agency on an AAV basis.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I will say we did not pay Patrick to start. He’s making ok backup money. (3.5 over 2)

We save ~$8M by releasing Corey Linsley.  If we can get through a year with Patrick as our starting C while we develop someone else, that's food for thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

We save ~$8M by releasing Corey Linsley.  If we can get through a year with Patrick as our starting C while we develop someone else, that's food for thought.

Saving that $8M on Linsley would have to mean a noted upgrade at OC or another position for the 2020 season