Leisher's Home sick 2020 Mock draft

jleisher

9 hours ago, jleisher said:

Resigns:

75 - T Bryan BulagaBryan Bulaga T  2yrs/ $24m  $8m guan  (2020 cap hit $8m)

Fair contract, though I think Bulaga would be able to get more on the open market in guarantees.  If he wants to stay in GB, might happen

2019-Crosby-Mason-hsMason Crosby K  2yrs/ $8m  $2m guan  (2020 cap hit $3m)

Fair deal.  Might be a touch high, but likely a 1-2M difference in total

50 - LB Blake MartinezBlake Martinez ILB  4yrs/ $44m $8m guan (2020 cap hit $9m)

I would be shocked if Martinez signed a deal with only $8M guaranteed.  Less than 20% guaranteed on a 4 year deal is very unlikely for a starter going into his first big payday.  more like 30-40%, though GB does have a way to make that % less when they increase the first 2 years total the player is likely to see.

68 - T Jared VeldheerJared Valdheer T  1yr/ $5m $2m guan (2020 cap hit $3m)  Veteran backup at both RT and LT.

fair deal

2020 Cap Space:  $29.1m

Outside Free Agents:

This is a 2019 photo of Javon Hargrave of the Pittsburgh Steelers NFL football team. This image reflects the Steelers active roster as of April 30th when this image was taken. (AP Photo)Javon Hargrave DE Steelers  4yrs/$64m $12m guan (2020 cap hit $14m)  60 Tackles, 4 Sacks, 6 QB hits and 1 FF.  Front 3 is now Lowry-Clark-Hargrave.

another less that 20% guaranteed contract.  

Perriman_BreshadBreshad Perriman WR Bucs  3yrs/$21m $6m guan (2020 cap hit $5m)  Comes in as the #2 WR.

Wisniewski_StefenStefen Wisniewski C/G Chiefs  2yrs/$4m  (2020 cap hit $2m)  Teams with Valdheer to give the Packers some veteran OL back ups at a lower cost.

Older than Linsley, played 20% of snaps for KC in 2019

This is a 2019 photo of Nick Vannett of the Pittsburgh Steelers NFL football team. This image reflects the Steelers active roster as of September 27th when this image was taken. (AP Photo)Nick Vannett TE Steelers  2yrs/$4m  (2020 cap hit $2m)  Younger and cheaper blocking TE

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

We save ~$8M by releasing Corey Linsley.  If we can get through a year with Patrick as our starting C while we develop someone else, that's food for thought.

I’m all for developing the next guy, but do we really want to chance it by going cheap? We did that at guard, starting stop gaps two years. We ended up paying a mediocre Billy Turner to be adequate because our situation sucked.

I feel like people hear 8m and think that is a lot, but in 2020 it isn’t. 8m is the cost of an average second contract player. Looking at what other centers are making, Linsely is making market, maybe even a little less. He’s 15th in the league in salary for centers, which includes first contract players. He isn’t overpaid.

https://overthecap.com/position/center/

With that said, the point of my original post was to reiterate Patrick isn’t the answer. Patrick took backup money, and graded subpar in 2019 (48 in pff). This kind of tells me the team knows he isn’t a starting caliber answer and he knows he isn’t either, or he would have waited 3 months.

In general I think all things considered without a real succession plan, cutting Linsely (an adequate player making market), wouldn’t be smart. I didn’t go there with my original post but I’m sure it will come up in the next few months. I mean just say our loud, “let’s save 8m on a solid OL to sign draft bust who had a few good games B Perriman”

• Like 1

Do we have the data/tape to unpack how important the center is for protection schemes in this system? I know a lot more is placed on the o-line in Shanahan's/Kubiack's system than Mac's but can't necessarily tell what's happening out there in practice. Still hate paying a center that much cash when you have adequate bodies and needs elsewhere.  

5 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

I’m all for developing the next guy, but do we really want to chance it by going cheap? We did that at guard, starting stop gaps two years. We ended up paying a mediocre Billy Turner to be adequate because our situation sucked.

I feel like people hear 8m and think that is a lot, but in 2020 it isn’t. 8m is the cost of an average second contract player. Looking at what other centers are making, Linsely is making market, maybe even a little less. He’s 15th in the league in salary for centers, which includes first contract players. He isn’t overpaid.

https://overthecap.com/position/center/

With that said, the point of my original post was to reiterate Patrick isn’t the answer. Patrick took backup money, and graded subpar in 2019 (48 in pff). This kind of tells me the team knows he isn’t a starting caliber answer and he knows he isn’t either, or he would have waited 3 months.

In general I think all things considered without a real succession plan, cutting Linsely (an adequate player making market), wouldn’t be smart. I didn’t go there with my original post but I’m sure it will come up in the next few months. I mean just say our loud, “let’s save 8m on a solid OL to sign draft bust who had a few good games B Perriman”

Not fond of cutting their starting center and betting on the come for somebody to replace him.  Only concern is his balky back locking up on occasion.  If they could "find" somebody like the Packers rookie guard Jenkins to replace him through the draft in the mid rounds ... no brainer.  Window is closing and don't think now's the time to start cutting starting OL to save dollars.

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

We save ~$8M by releasing Corey Linsley.  If we can get through a year with Patrick as our starting C while we develop someone else, that's food for thought.

I think Patrick played just fine last week against Detroit and we may not even need to find a permanent replacement; he could possibly be that guy. If we feel we're hard up for money then I'd release Linsley. He's been wildly inconsistent this year and hasn't brought that physicality this year; perhaps due to the back injury

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

Do we really want to draft another safety from Alabama?   ;)

as a back-up, why not. HaHa did nothing but make splash plays at Alabama because he could play his style of game and rely on the rest of his defense to make up for his lack of effort when he couldn't make a splash play. It worked his rookie year, but as the defense returned to its sub-mediocre identity, he got swept up in it and became a toxic malcontent.

40 minutes ago, Joe said:

I think Patrick played just fine last week against Detroit and we may not even need to find a permanent replacement; he could possibly be that guy. If we feel we're hard up for money then I'd release Linsley. He's been wildly inconsistent this year and hasn't brought that physicality this year; perhaps due to the back injury

Man.  I don't believe any of this.  I saw Patrick play.  And he was beaten like a drum.  He's a career backup.  Not a starter.  And I say this despite really liking Patrick and his extension.

And I think you are vastly under-rating Linsley.  I don't think he's been wildly inconsistent.  14'th ranked center.  Score of 69.8.  High score at center was 81.3.

And Patrick scored a 48 in his 137 snaps.  

Per PFF.

When I've seen our line get beaten it is usually over right guard.  And even that has cleaned up a ton the last 4 games or so.

• Like 1