Rams hiring Brandon Staley as defensive coordinator

RamRod

I was close in premise, wrong in my pick. I said in the Gen Thread we should look at Jerod Mayo, ILB coach for Pats. Instead we got Brandon Staley OLB coach for Denver. Idea being someone who can scheme within the existing defense, but wouldn't mind decision making done by McVay because they're just grateful for the promotion.

I like the hire. I like that he's had experience under Fangio. It's always good to look at players who used to play under him as FA targets. So a quick look...

-Danny Trevathan is rumored to be cut this offseason. Would be a good replacement for Littleton and most likely affordable being on the wrong side of 30.

-Aaron Lynch is a UFA in 2020 and could be solid rotational guy.

-Todd Davis of Denver might be a cap casualty

-Josey Jewell could likely be had for a very low round pick after losing his spot to Alexander Johnson. Thumper out of Iowa in the Micah Kiser mold. 2down LB. Would be an upgrade over Reeder.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I was close in premise, wrong in my pick. I said in the Gen Thread we should look at Jerod Mayo, ILB coach for Pats. Instead we got Brandon Staley OLB coach for Denver. Idea being someone who can scheme within the existing defense, but wouldn't mind decision making done by McVay because they're just grateful for the promotion.

I like the hire. I like that he's had experience under Fangio. It's always good to look at players who used to play under him as FA targets. So a quick look...

-Danny Trevathan is rumored to be cut this offseason. Would be a good replacement for Littleton and most likely affordable being on the wrong side of 30.

-Aaron Lynch is a UFA in 2020 and could be solid rotational guy.

-Todd Davis of Denver might be a cap casualty

-Josey Jewell could likely be had for a very low round pick after losing his spot to Alexander Johnson. Thumper out of Iowa in the Micah Kiser mold. 2down LB. Would be an upgrade over Reeder.

Have you seen Aaron Lynch? My man is a biscuit away from pushing 360.. That’s no LB my guy. 

13 hours ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Would suck so hard if the rams put out a elite unit and he gets a coaching gig lolZ

Maybe.  But the trend right now is culture guys.  Last offseason it was, mostly, offensive "revolutionaries" (term used very loosely, but teams were clearly trying to get younger and more modern with their offenses with regard to their HC hires).  Eventually the pendulum will swing back to where HC's get hired because they're great defensive minds, and not because they're prized as culture guys who just happen to be defensive coaches, but no one has any way of predicting when that will be.  It took Fangio assembling multiple elite defenses before he got a hire (allegedly he was a rough interview as well).  It appears that teams want to see a coach field and sustain an elite defense for multiple seasons before they really give serious consideration (Saleh's getting interest this year, but have we actually read where he's interviewed with anyone?  And even that might be as a Rooney Rule satisfier.) whereas so much emphasis is placed on offense by the league, league rules, and media that if you're the new, hot OC du jour, you're far more likely to attract consideration, it seems.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I made a choice about six years ago to forego that path. We'll see if I regret it. ;)

Probably not. You’ll be a wealthy girl when it comes to money.. Probably less stressful as well lol. But there’s no doubt that you have place lol wonder when you’ll stop caring though. 

• Like 1

So, pure speculation at this point, but I get the feeling that we're not going to see pure 3-4 looks out of Staley, at least not in the sense the we did from Wade or in the sense that most people associate with the formation.  If he leans more towards Fangio's scheme, it's a non-traditional 2-gapping 3-4, where one of the DE's (Akiem Hicks for Chicago last season, Derek Wolfe - before he got injured - in Denver, and most famously Justin Smith when Fangio was with the Niners) actually lines up in the 3-Tech as opposed the 5-Tech; the other DE plays a 5-Tech role and is typically charged more with run-defense/block-eating.  That's likely Donald (even though @jrry32 and I have both been confident in Donald's ability to play at EDGE if he was tasked with it, I refuse to project it until I see a coach actually deploy it), as the guy rushing from the 3-tech in the scheme has traditionally been the strongest pass-rusher on the side.  SJD's skill-set fits as a DE than an NT in this scheme - Wade's scheme never had an issue running with a small(er) NT because the NT was 1-gapping and more commonly than not rushing/collapsing the pocket primarily.  Given it's druthers, that Fangio scheme would rather send linebackers in lieu of linemen, and it lets the linemen seize their opportunities from opposing OL's having to account for multiple guys coming from the back part of the front 7 (this plays to Donald's strengths, same as it did with Justin Smith).  Realistically, Gaines probably moves into the starting NT spot here because the Fangio scheme tasks the NT primarily with playing the 0-Tech, 2-gapping run-plug and block/space-eater.  We'll probably see another body brought in there, but these are the guys that are typically not prioritized heavily by teams in either the draft or free agency (remember when the Niners' defense was quite good starting the likes of Isaac Sapoaga and Ricky Jean Francois, there?).

ILB is going to be the spot to watch.  Littleton is going to depend entirely on his price - which likely means he's headed out.  Reader should stick and project well into one of the starting spots.  Kiser is probably battling for his roster spot - depending on what his ST contribution looks like - because he may be too limited in his ability to cover real estate as this scheme has been at its best with two interior guys who have the ability to play sideline to sideline (hence why the Bears run D turned to such poo when both Roquan Smith and Danny Trevathan went out injured).  It'll be really interesting to see how those two positions shake out.  I'm seeing several depth charts (not on the Rams official site because those charts aren't up in the offseason) that are actually projecting Polite as an ILB not an OLB.  l weigh to jrry on that as to whether he'd be capable.  I'd lean more toward the likelihood that if any of the LB's is ask to kick inside, it would be more likely to be Okoronkwo.

The important thing to remember with Fangio's OLB's is that both need to be comfortable enough to jam the TE and drop back into short-zone coverage dependent on which side the TE lines up on.  This may shed some light on which among Matthews and Fowler are kept.  Depending on which stage (and beyond that how faithful to the scheme in general Staley stays) of Fangio's scheme we go off (Stanford vs San Fran vs Chicago vs Denver), the OLB's often act as stand-up DE's rather than pure OLB's or edge-rushers.  It wasn't just Carroll that was among the earliest the show 4-3 Under concepts as what became the nouveau defensive trend in the league, Fangio was doing it too.  Another key difference between the normal 4-3 under scheme and Vic Fangio’s version is versatility. He requires most of his defenders to play multiple positions on all three levels of the defense. Fangio would often switch Smith and Ray McDonald between the 3-tech and 5-tech positions based on match-ups. The NT is locked in place but the other two D-lineman need to be able to switch spots, his OLBs need to be able to play stand-up DE, his ILBs need to be able to play OLB at times, and his two starting safeties need to be interchangeable. Fangio’s defense thrives on the ability to change their scheme at any time and disguise what they are doing pre-snap.

We have players that fit that last bit, but it will be interesting to see which guys who were brought in because they were felt to be stronger fits for Wade's scheme than the guys they replaced are prioritized in whether they're retained (may not mean released, we could see some trades similar to when we offloaded Quinn and Ogletree).

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, The LBC said:

So, pure speculation at this point, but I get the feeling that we're not going to see pure 3-4 looks out of Staley, at least not in the sense the we did from Wade or in the sense that most people associate with the formation.  If he leans more towards Fangio's scheme, it's a non-traditional 2-gapping 3-4, where one of the DE's (Akiem Hicks for Chicago last season, Derek Wolfe - before he got injured - in Denver, and most famously Justin Smith when Fangio was with the Niners) actually lines up in the 3-Tech as opposed the 5-Tech; the other DE plays a 5-Tech role and is typically charged more with run-defense/block-eating.  That's likely Donald (even though @jrry32 and I have both been confident in Donald's ability to play at EDGE if he was tasked with it, I refuse to project it until I see a coach actually deploy it), as the guy rushing from the 3-tech in the scheme has traditionally been the strongest pass-rusher on the side.  SJD's skill-set fits as a DE than an NT in this scheme - Wade's scheme never had an issue running with a small(er) NT because the NT was 1-gapping and more commonly than not rushing/collapsing the pocket primarily.  Given it's druthers, that Fangio scheme would rather send linebackers in lieu of linemen, and it lets the linemen seize their opportunities from opposing OL's having to account for multiple guys coming from the back part of the front 7 (this plays to Donald's strengths, same as it did with Justin Smith).  Realistically, Gaines probably moves into the starting NT spot here because the Fangio scheme tasks the NT primarily with playing the 0-Tech, 2-gapping run-plug and block/space-eater.  We'll probably see another body brought in there, but these are the guys that are typically not prioritized heavily by teams in either the draft or free agency (remember when the Niners' defense was quite good starting the likes of Isaac Sapoaga and Ricky Jean Francois, there?).

ILB is going to be the spot to watch.  Littleton is going to depend entirely on his price - which likely means he's headed out.  Reader should stick and project well into one of the starting spots.  Kiser is probably battling for his roster spot - depending on what his ST contribution looks like - because he may be too limited in his ability to cover real estate as this scheme has been at its best with two interior guys who have the ability to play sideline to sideline (hence why the Bears run D turned to such poo when both Roquan Smith and Danny Trevathan went out injured).  It'll be really interesting to see how those two positions shake out.  I'm seeing several depth charts (not on the Rams official site because those charts aren't up in the offseason) that are actually projecting Polite as an ILB not an OLB.  l weigh to jrry on that as to whether he'd be capable.  I'd lean more toward the likelihood that if any of the LB's is ask to kick inside, it would be more likely to be Okoronkwo.

The important thing to remember with Fangio's OLB's is that both need to be comfortable enough to jam the TE and drop back into short-zone coverage dependent on which side the TE lines up on.  This may shed some light on which among Matthews and Fowler are kept.  Depending on which stage (and beyond that how faithful to the scheme in general Staley stays) of Fangio's scheme we go off (Stanford vs San Fran vs Chicago vs Denver), the OLB's often act as stand-up DE's rather than pure OLB's or edge-rushers.  It wasn't just Carroll that was among the earliest the show 4-3 Under concepts as what became the nouveau defensive trend in the league, Fangio was doing it too.  Another key difference between the normal 4-3 under scheme and Vic Fangio’s version is versatility. He requires most of his defenders to play multiple positions on all three levels of the defense. Fangio would often switch Smith and Ray McDonald between the 3-tech and 5-tech positions based on match-ups. The NT is locked in place but the other two D-lineman need to be able to switch spots, his OLBs need to be able to play stand-up DE, his ILBs need to be able to play OLB at times, and his two starting safeties need to be interchangeable. Fangio’s defense thrives on the ability to change their scheme at any time and disguise what they are doing pre-snap.

We have players that fit that last bit, but it will be interesting to see which guys who were brought in because they were felt to be stronger fits for Wade's scheme than the guys they replaced are prioritized in whether they're retained (may not mean released, we could see some trades similar to when we offloaded Quinn and Ogletree).

I generally agree here. I think Kiser will battle with Reeder for an ILB spot, and I'd bet on Kiser being the victor. Although, Natrez Patrick could factor in as well. I don't see Jachai Polite playing ILB. If the kid gets his stuff together, he still has rare bend around the edge. I also agree that SJD likely slides out to DE with Gaines taking over at NT and us adding another big-bodied guy on the cheap. I think we'll either keep Fowler or add a cheap EDGE in FA (with Fowler possibly being tagged and traded). I expect us to add an ILB in the Draft. But there's always a possibility we add a cut player if the right one is available.

• Like 3