Mock Offseason Thread:

MrOaktown_56

32 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

They are similar, but Tyrell does have the 1.1k season under his belt and is very talented when healthy. He's also already in house so no need to try to fish Anderson out of the market. 

Williams also played three seasons with a future HOF QB in Phillip Rivers while Anderson played with Ryan Fitzpatrick, Josh McCown, and a rookie Sam Darnold. I agree that there's no real reason to replace Williams with Anderson though. Williams played well when he was healthy and is a solid #2 WR. He scored a TD every game for the first 5 weeks of the season and was on pace for around 1,000 yards before he got injured. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Williams also played three seasons with a future HOF QB in Phillip Rivers while Anderson played with Ryan Fitzpatrick, Josh McCown, and a rookie Sam Darnold. I agree that there's no real reason to replace Williams with Anderson though. Williams played well when he was healthy and is a solid #2 WR. He scored a TD every game for the first 5 weeks of the season and was on pace for around 1,000 yards before he got injured. 

All fair points. I don't think either is a clear upgrade over the other.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

All fair points. I don't think either is a clear upgrade over the other.

Keep Williams, sign Sanders, and draft a WR or two with the firs five picks.  Outside of injuries we should be golden on O for a couple years if Carr's issue is really from a lack of weapons.  If he can not thrive with that supporting cast then it s time to move on.

Edited by drfrey13
  • Like 2

Don't get to post as often anymore but have a free few days before school starts up again. I'll probably do another right before the draft but heres a little different take on the offseason. Didn't bother with exact numbers but made some estimates. 

Pre-FREE AGENCY

1. Raiders trade Derek Carr 7.204 to the Colts for picks 3.75  and 4.122

2. CUT: Lamarcus Joyner, S

3. CUT: Tahir Whitehead, LB 

FREE AGENCY

1. Byron Jones, CB - 5 years, 72 million (comp: Trumaine Johnson)

- Keep thinking he's the odd man out in Dallas and while it seems Gruden/Mayock are happy with the youth and potential we have at CB it's hard to pass up a talented player like Jones to pair with Mullen. You can never have too many talented cover guys in today's NFL.

2. Anthony Harris, S - 4 years, 48 million (comp: Devin McCourty)

-We haven't had a legit ball hawking safety in years. I don't think the staff loves KJ enough to bring him back at his price point and his fit with Abrams and Erik Harris isn't ideal. Harris would fit beautifully and allows us to play a very nice trio of safeties going forward.

3. De'Vondre Campbell, LB - 4 years, 42 million (comp: Alec Ogletree)

-Keep adding to the defense! Campbell is on the up and this contract reflects that. We have zero talent at linebacker and less than zero athletic/sideline to sideline ability currently. Campbell gives us some size and speed at linebacker that we've ignored for so long.

4. Robby Anderson, WR - 3 years, 27 million (comp: John Brown)

-I believe we keep Williams on the roster and use FA/Draft to build around him and Renfrow moving into Vegas. Anderson is the deep/stretch the field threat we've been needing and he has age on his side plus he doesn't break the bank.

5. Marcus Mariota, QB - 2 years, 13 million (comp: Tyrod Taylor +)

-I can hear to moans now but I really do think Gruden see's him as the perfect stop gap QB and an even better back up quarterback once Gruden gets his guy. Mariota see's this as a great place to step in and play early and line himself up for a better next contract. 

6. Carl Nassib, DL - 3 years, 10 million (comp: Jack Crawford)

-Good depth along the DL and can move around to different positions. Really liked him coming out of Penn State and it's just taken a little while to hit his stride IMO.

DRAFT

**TRADE** Raiders trade 1.12 + 1.19 to NYG for 1.4

1.4 Raiders - Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama

-Honestly very difficult to project a trade into the top 5 as there are so many variables but the premise remains the same. Gruden wants to go get his guy and I believe it's been Tua all along. With Mariota on board we can afford Tua plenty of time and I'd even venture to say Tua wouldn't see the field at all in 2020. Give him plenty of time to rehab and Mariota is a great guy for him to learn from and for Gruden to create the offense around. 

3.75 Raiders - Troy Dye, LB Oregon

-My favorite LB in the class and it hurts to say that as a USC fan. The guy just does it all and his production is unmatched. Stays with the trend of Gruden/Mayock taking productive, big school, leadership guys early in the draft.  

3.80 Raiders - Lynn Bowden Jr, WR Kentucky

-Probably the most polarizing skill position player but the potential is off the charts. He did it all for Kentucky and I think he'd be a great movable piece for this offense and give Gruden a skill set that he currently doesn't have on this roster. 

3.81 Raiders - Najee Harris, RB Alabama

-Maybe a slight luxury pick but after Jacobs we don't have a brusier. A trio of Jacobs, Harris, and Washington/Richard is versatile and cheap moving forward. 

3.92 Raiders - Brandon Aiyuk, WR Arizona State

-I think his stock rises by the time the draft rolls around but every time I watched this guy he jumped off the screen. He made you aware of where he was and was incredibly twitchy and versatile. Adding even more talent to our WR room. 

4.103 Raiders - Darryl Williams, IOL Mississippi State

-Very versatile IOL who can play center and gives us someone with some potential to develop behind Hudson and Jackson.

4.104 Raiders - Jabari Zuninga, Edge Florida

-You can never have enough young talent on the defensive line and JZ is just that. Needs to work on his technique and hand usage plus becoming more consistent off the line but the tools are there and he would not be forced to play significant early snaps. 

4.122 Raiders - Joe Bachie Jr, ILB Michigan State

- Heavy hitter and ILB that plays downhill 24/7. Not much future as a 3 down LB but with Dye and Campbell we can afford a run stopping pick here at LB. 

ITALICIZED=ROOKIE

BOLD=FREE AGENT

ROSTER

QB: Marcus Mariota // Tua Tagovailoa

FB: Alec Ingold

RB: Josh Jacobs // Najee Harris // Jalen Richard

WR: Tyrell Williams  // Brandon Aiyuk

WR: Robby Anderson // Lynn Bowden Jr // Keelan Doss

Slot: Hunter Renfrow // Zay Jones

TE: Darren Waller // Foster Moreau

LT: Kolton Miller // David Sharpe

LG: Richie Incognito // Denzelle Good

C: Rodney Hudson // Darryl Williams

RG: Gabe Jackson // Denzelle Good

RT: Trent Brown // David Sharpe

BASE DEFENSE

DE: Maxx Crosby // Jabari Zuninga

DT: Jonathan Hankins // PJ Hall

DT: Maurice Hurst // Carl Nassib

DE: Clelin Ferrell // Dion Jordan

OLB: Troy Dye // Nicolas Morrow

ILB: Will Compton // Joe Bachie Jr. 

OLB: De'Vondre Campbell // Marquel Lee

CB: Trayvon Mullen // Isaiah Johnson

CB: Byron Jones // Keisean Nixon

FS: Anthony Harris // Erik Harris

SS: Jonathan Abrams // Erik Harris

NICKEL DEFENSE

EDGE: Clelin Ferrell

DT: Dion Jordan

DT: Maurice Hurst

DE: Maxx Crosby

LB: Troy Dye

LB: De'Vondre Campbell

S/LB: Jonathan Abrams

S: Erik Harris

S: Anthony Harris

CB: Trayvon Mullen

CB: Byron Jones

Definitely not the traditional mock but I would love for this to be the direction Gruden/Mayock take. We add talent to our defense and offense but the kicker is getting our QBOTF without giving up the future. I think this team is set up with a healthy Tua to be a nightmare on offense with the combo of Harris/Jacobs/Ingold in the backfield and speed and versatility at WR/TE. The defense is still young but it added NFL talent and plenty of speed and versatility. 

30 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Don't get to post as often anymore but have a free few days before school starts up again. I'll probably do another right before the draft but heres a little different take on the offseason. Didn't bother with exact numbers but made some estimates. 

Pre-FREE AGENCY

FREE AGENCY

- Keep thinking he's the odd man out in Dallas and while it seems Gruden/Mayock are happy with the youth and potential we have at CB it's hard to pass up a talented player like Jones to pair with Mullen. You can never have too many talented cover guys in today's NFL.

-We haven't had a legit ball hawking safety in years. I don't think the staff loves KJ enough to bring him back at his price point and his fit with Abrams and Erik Harris isn't ideal. Harris would fit beautifully and allows us to play a very nice trio of safeties going forward.

-Keep adding to the defense! Campbell is on the up and this contract reflects that. We have zero talent at linebacker and less than zero athletic/sideline to sideline ability currently. Campbell gives us some size and speed at linebacker that we've ignored for so long.

-I believe we keep Williams on the roster and use FA/Draft to build around him and Renfrow moving into Vegas. Anderson is the deep/stretch the field threat we've been needing and he has age on his side plus he doesn't break the bank.

-I can hear to moans now but I really do think Gruden see's him as the perfect stop gap QB and an even better back up quarterback once Gruden gets his guy. Mariota see's this as a great place to step in and play early and line himself up for a better next contract. 

-Good depth along the DL and can move around to different positions. Really liked him coming out of Penn State and it's just taken a little while to hit his stride IMO.

DRAFT

-Honestly very difficult to project a trade into the top 5 as there are so many variables but the premise remains the same. Gruden wants to go get his guy and I believe it's been Tua all along. With Mariota on board we can afford Tua plenty of time and I'd even venture to say Tua wouldn't see the field at all in 2020. Give him plenty of time to rehab and Mariota is a great guy for him to learn from and for Gruden to create the offense around. 

-My favorite LB in the class and it hurts to say that as a USC fan. The guy just does it all and his production is unmatched. Stays with the trend of Gruden/Mayock taking productive, big school, leadership guys early in the draft.  

-Probably the most polarizing skill position player but the potential is off the charts. He did it all for Kentucky and I think he'd be a great movable piece for this offense and give Gruden a skill set that he currently doesn't have on this roster. 

-Maybe a slight luxury pick but after Jacobs we don't have a brusier. A trio of Jacobs, Harris, and Washington/Richard is versatile and cheap moving forward. 

-I think his stock rises by the time the draft rolls around but every time I watched this guy he jumped off the screen. He made you aware of where he was and was incredibly twitchy and versatile. Adding even more talent to our WR room. 

-Very versatile IOL who can play center and gives us someone with some potential to develop behind Hudson and Jackson.

-You can never have enough young talent on the defensive line and JZ is just that. Needs to work on his technique and hand usage plus becoming more consistent off the line but the tools are there and he would not be forced to play significant early snaps. 

- Heavy hitter and ILB that plays downhill 24/7. Not much future as a 3 down LB but with Dye and Campbell we can afford a run stopping pick here at LB. 

ITALICIZED=ROOKIE

BOLD=FREE AGENT

ROSTER

BASE DEFENSE

NICKEL DEFENSE

Definitely not the traditional mock but I would love for this to be the direction Gruden/Mayock take. We add talent to our defense and offense but the kicker is getting our QBOTF without giving up the future. I think this team is set up with a healthy Tua to be a nightmare on offense with the combo of Harris/Jacobs/Ingold in the backfield and speed and versatility at WR/TE. The defense is still young but it added NFL talent and plenty of speed and versatility. 

In the 2 years Tua played he never played a whole season, he had 2 ankle, knee and a hip injury.

What makes people think that he’s going to be OK in the NFL?

31 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Pre-FREE AGENCY

FREE AGENCY

DRAFT

ITALICIZED=ROOKIE

BOLD=FREE AGENT

ROSTER

BASE DEFENSE

NICKEL DEFENSE

This is the ballsiest mock I’ve seen.  Nice job! I agree that a new direction is needed. If we went this far in change I’d hope we would add more LBer and WR talent

• Like 2

16 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Keep Williams, sign Sanders, and draft a WR or two with the firs five picks.  Outside of injuries we should be golden on O for a couple years if Carr's issue is really from a lack of weapons.  If he can not thrive with that supporting cast then it s time to move on.

I think if he can't produce with that cast, we'll all want him gone.

12 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Trading carr for only a 3 and 4 and trading 2 1sts for tua is a nightmare. We need to build the roster. Those firsts are worth their weight in gold. 

Hey if we can get more for Carr than a 3+4 then that makes my point/mock even stronger. I was being conservative because I’d figure people would throw a fit if Carr fetched anything valuable in a trade. 

Trading two mid round 1’s for Tua a nightmare? Let’s not be dramatic here. If Gruden/Mayock identify him as the guy the value of Tua for 12+19 is the price you pay and you don’t think twice. Imo we miss out on Simmons/Lamb and the rest of the truly elite talent by our pick at 12. 

Since you pointed out “building the roster” how do you feel about the 7 players picked in the top 125 picks? That’s a sufficient haul not to mention we got out QBOTF.

Personally a future of Tua and this roster excites me more than keeping a roster with Carr as the QB and adding talent like Ruggs or Fulton.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

22 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Hey if we can get more for Carr than a 3+4 then that makes my point/mock even stronger. I was being conservative because I’d figure people would throw a fit if Carr fetched anything valuable in a trade. 

Trading two mid round 1’s for Tua a nightmare? Let’s not be dramatic here. If Gruden/Mayock identify him as the guy the value of Tua for 12+19 is the price you pay and you don’t think twice. Imo we miss out on Simmons/Lamb and the rest of the truly elite talent by our pick at 12. 

Since you pointed out “building the roster” how do you feel about the 7 players picked in the top 125 picks? That’s a sufficient haul not to mention we got out QBOTF.

Personally a future of Tua and this roster excites me more than keeping a roster with Carr as the QB and adding talent like Ruggs or Fulton.

I'm personally a tua skeptic to some extent. I think he can be a league-average qb, but beyond that I'm unsure. He has struggled against top 30 defenses (see his splits vs top 30 defenses vs non) with the best weapons in college football bar none (he had 4 1st round WRs this year). How do you think he will elevate a flawed roster that's nowhere near as good in the talent differential compared to alabama vs the field? 

Will he be so much better than Carr that he justifies that investment in draft capital? If you believe it, more power to you. I'm skeptical. And we could land Fulton AND Ruggs, not one of the two, depending on how the board shakes out. Big difference.

I already posted a few times how the OT class will cause a very good talent to fall to 12. You don't have to believe it though and we're all entitled to our opinions. As a result of your trade for Tua, the front 7 still looks thin. If they can't get pressure, the back end will struggle no matter how much talent we add. 

And let's not act like we can win games with Mariota. He's broken as a passer at this point. The titans couldn't even move the ball with him. 

Top 125 picks are still somewhat of a crasphoot. Unless you think Mayock can hit it out of the park every year, which is unrealistic and unsustainable. 

Edited by MrOaktown_56
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm personally a tua skeptic to some extent. I think he can be a league-average qb, but beyond that I'm unsure. He has struggled against top 30 defenses (see his splits vs top 30 defenses vs non) with the best weapons in college football bar none (he had 4 1st round WRs this year). How do you think he will elevate a flawed roster that's nowhere near as good in the talent differential compared to alabama vs the field? 

Will he be so much better than Carr that he justifies that investment in draft capital? If you believe it, more power to you. I'm skeptical. And we could land Fulton AND Ruggs, not one of the two, depending on how the board shakes out. Big difference.

I already posted a few times how the OT class will cause a very good talent to fall to 12. You don't have to believe it though and we're all entitled to our opinions. As a result of your trade for Tua, the front 7 still looks thin. If they can't get pressure, the back end will struggle no matter how much talent we add. 

And let's not act like we can win games with Mariota. He's broken as a passer at this point. The titans couldn't even move the ball with him. 

Top 125 picks are still somewhat of a crasphoot. Unless you think Mayock can hit it out of the park every year, which is unrealistic and unsustainable. 

I agree. I'm skeptical of Tua as well. If he somehow fell to 12 and the team thinks he's the guy, so be it. However, trading up for him and all the uncertainty with his health is hard pass for me. The other thing I find funny though, if Tua really is that great, why would the Dolphins pass him up? 

• Like 1

Quick abbreviated Offseason:

FA Major pickups:

LB: Joe Schobert: Overhaul of LB core needs to be done. Browns are being foolish letting him test the market.

DT: Jaraan Reed: I completely understand if we don't give him a look considering he was suspended for a DV incident from 2017...  however, getting a pro-bowl calber pass rushing DT is something to consider

FS: Justin Simmons: Stealing a top flight FS from a rival is simply to rich to pass-up if given the chance.

Draft:

Several Trades:

Trade pick 12 and 80 to move up to ARI 8

Trade pick 19, 81, (value: 1060)  for MIA picks 27 and 56 (value: 1020)

Draft:

pick 8 Isaiah Simmons

Don't think he last, so we make the move up to get him.  Have to jump Jags who are the most likely team to grab him.

Pick 27: Laviska Shenault

Big bodied, sure handed stud wr who plays like a beast RB after the catch.  Pushed to the back end of the draft due to the plethora of stud WRs in this draft

pick 56:Jeff Gladney

Physical CB who would excel in our system opposite Mullen

Edited by 101Raider
  • Like 1