Coaching Staff

CAPJ

21 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Before we know anything else, do you think we make the playoffs next year?

I think we will.

I think we'll fair better in close games next year. Dak should get even better. If we stay healthy, solidify the defense (gimme a big bad MFer in the middle of that DL)...yeah, I think we make the playoffs. 

34 minutes ago, TheBeast23 said:

I think we have the possibility to make the playoffs every year because of how weak this division is. With McCarthy and hopefully retaining Moore our chances are even greater

14 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

We had to fight and scrape this year to NOT make the playoffs. Such is life in the NFCE. 

There's a major ebb and flow to this. As recently as 2016, we were probably the best division in the NFC. In 2017, the NFC East had the Super Bowl Champions. In 2018, we had 2 teams make the playoffs. And it wasn't too long ago that the NFC West was a bigger dumpster fire than the East was this year.

I don't think you can just rely on the division being crummy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

There's a major ebb and flow to this. As recently as 2016, we were probably the best division in the NFC. In 2017, the NFC East had the Super Bowl Champions. In 2018, we had 2 teams make the playoffs. And it wasn't too long ago that the NFC West was a bigger dumpster fire than the East was this year.

I don't think you can just rely on the division being crummy.

I don’t think we should rely on that I’m just saying the Giants now pending this coaching hire are pretty talent depleted aside from a few players and are a few years out. Washington with a better coaching hire will be improved I’m sure but still relatively young offense with a QB I don’t for see being very good at the helm. The defense however will be very much improved. And the Eagles as of now remain the only true competition in the division and I don’t see how they maintain the way there going as they are a fairly older team and at the very least will be going through a mini rebuild. We remain unchanged with a coach who has been to the promise land. We can only go up with someone who has had playoff success like he has and keeping a young innovative OC to keep with the trends and game planning. It will be good for McCarthy and Dak having a familiar face to turn to.

Edited by TheBeast23
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

We are gonna hire Scott McCurley as something I bet. 

He has had just a general "assistant" title in the past.

5 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

I didn’t even know Jim Fassel was still coaching lol

John. His son. Top ~5 special teams coach for about a decade. 

22 hours ago, CAPJ said:

Anyone have any insight on Nolans defense? Is it Man, Zone, blitz heavy etc.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2020/1/7/21052263/breaking-down-new-cowboys-defensive-coordinator-mike-nolans-scheme-kris-richard-rod-marinelli

Regardless of those details, Nolan has a history of utilizing both types of defenses, as well as a varied hybrid front. And he’s found success with all three types as well. Nolan ran strict 3-4 defenses in his first two coordinator jobs with the Giants and Redskins, but operated more of a hybrid front in his lone season under the 2000 Jets, where Bill Parcells oversaw things as the general manager. In Baltimore he continued their 3-4 hybrid defensive success while helping newly drafted Terrell Suggs blossom into a fearsome edge rusher.

From there, Nolan followed in the footsteps of his father **** Nolan (who, coincidentally, was Tom Landry’s defensive coordinator in Dallas) by being named the head coach of the 49ers. While there, Nolan helped amass some defensive talent - Isaac Sopoaga, Manny Lawson, Parys Haralson, Ray McDonald, Dashon Goldson, and Patrick Willis - that turned into a formidable unit under Jim Harbaugh, who succeeded Nolan.

While Nolan has run several different schemes over his career, one thing is clear: he prefers big defensive linemen on the interior. While Michael Gehlken of Dallas Morning News noted that the Cowboys are expected to keep the 4-3 scheme in place, Nolan’s arrival could mean a shift in philosophy towards valuing size in the trenches. A common thread in all of Nolan’s defenses has been a huge two-gapping nose tackle, which would be a departure from Rod Marinelli’s preference for leaner, faster defensive tackles.

As mentioned, Nolan also has a good history of developing star edge rushers, whether it be Suggs or Wake or John Abraham. That should only mean good things for DeMarcus Lawrence, who Nolan will no doubt look to get a lot more preferable matchups after he spent most of 2019 being double-teamed. Aside from those two positions, Nolan tends to utilize a three-technique defensive tackle for interior penetration, which plays into the talent the Cowboys currently have.

In his linebackers, Nolan tends to ask guys to play with a downhill style of play, flowing to the ball and doing their best to make plays. When Nolan has run a 3-4 scheme, he’s asked his WILL linebacker to take on offensive linemen more often, but it’s uncertain how exactly he’d seek to use the talents of Leighton Vander Esch and Jaylon Smith. It should be noted that Vander Esch, at 256 pounds, has the size and strength to fill such a role while Smith could be asked to alternate between a more traditional linebacker and more of a pass rushing threat.

Nolan, whose specialty has more to do with the front end, never really showed a strong preference for any one coverage, and tended to mix it up depending on his roster’s strengths.

• Like 1