Sign in to follow this  
rocky_rams

Skip Peete out as Rams RB Coach; Gurley next?

With Skip Peete being out, are the Rams planning to move on from Gurley?

Gurley did advocate to McVay for Peete to stay couple seasons ago 

Don't think this is related to Gurley much. McVay didn't hire Peete. Can't imagine anyone is happy with how Henderson was used and see Peete as the blame. 

How is this news and not in the general section? It's speculation at best. 

20 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

How is this news and not in the general section? It's speculation at best. 

Well it’s  news that Skip Peete is out but if needs to be moved then so be it 

Posted (edited)

I can't imagine they will cut Gurley with the amount of dead cap. They basically are stuck with him until 2022. I can't see any team trading for him either. 

Edited by 49erurtaza

3 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

Don't think this is related to Gurley much. McVay didn't hire Peete. Can't imagine anyone is happy with how Henderson was used and see Peete as the blame. 

The later part of this especially.  We've brought in rookie RB's in back to back seasons and they've struggled coaching those guys up in terms of their pass-blocking in back-to-back seasons.  That falls on Peete.  Like @49erurtaza said, we're basically stuck with Gurley for another 2 seasons, unless he retires first - not likely, but I've advocated taking the hand brake off and just running the everloving crap out of him because damnit we're paying for it.  If he gets let go from Carolina when they hire a new HC, keep an eye on Jake Peetz.  He was on the Washington staff with McVay and Wes Phillips, just got done working with Christian McCaffrey (and the Panthers' other RB's have always been well coached-up), has experience on both sides of the ball (and as a scout), and has twice worked for Saban as an offensive analyst at Bama.

5 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

They basically are stuck with him until 2022

While that seems like the most advantageous time to cut him (saving $10m on the cap that year), it honestly might be after this season that we cut him.

If we cut him before his his roster bonus kicks in for the 2021 season, we are saving almost $5m on that years Cap. But also we would save the entire $14m on the 2022 Cap.

This comes down to the fact that he is already a sunk cost, so unless he is preforming worth that contract, why would we pay him the extra $9m dollars? To cut him a year later? 

I would go out this season and run him like we did in 2018, make him the workhorse until he craps out. Maybe he holds up? Maybe he doesnt. But we put the governor on him this year and it definitely hindered the offense. Sure we could run into the same thing we did in last years playoffs, but if this offense can keep churning with C.J. Anderson off the street, we should be able to do it with Malcolm Brown and Darrell Henderson.

Then at the end of the year, if he is back to his RB1 form, then we can keep him one more season as long as hes worth it. If not, then just cut ties, and find a reasonably priced RB that are littered all over the league, that can be very sucessful behind a good OL

gurley is done. first a guy like mike silver reports about gurley being a cap casualty and now his coach gets fired.
he was banging the table for peete, asking mcvay to keep him.
step by step they burn all bridges to gurley.

30 minutes ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

gurley is done. first a guy like mike silver reports about gurley being a cap casualty and now his coach gets fired.
he was banging the table for peete, asking mcvay to keep him.
step by step they burn all bridges to gurley.

What are you even talking about?

What does Mike Silver (who is an idiot) have to do with anything? This guy doesnt even know it would cost us over $8m EXTRA if we cut him this season

Seriously, where is this little conspiracy theory even going?

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I would go out this season and run him like we did in 2018, make him the workhorse until he craps out. Maybe he holds up? Maybe he doesnt. But we put the governor on him this year and it definitely hindered the offense. Sure we could run into the same thing we did in last years playoffs, but if this offense can keep churning with C.J. Anderson off the street, we should be able to do it with Malcolm Brown and Darrell Henderson.

Then at the end of the year, if he is back to his RB1 form, then we can keep him one more season as long as hes worth it. If not, then just cut ties, and find a reasonably priced RB that are littered all over the league, that can be very sucessful behind a good OL

The scary part with this approach is if we run him into the ground on purpose and he truly is shot out, we suffer as a team. Him churning out 3.9 yards per carry again will do nothing positive for our offense, make the play action ineffective, and domino effect everything else.

5 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

While that seems like the most advantageous time to cut him (saving $10m on the cap that year), it honestly might be after this season that we cut him.

If we cut him before his his roster bonus kicks in for the 2021 season, we are saving almost $5m on that years Cap. But also we would save the entire $14m on the 2022 Cap.

This comes down to the fact that he is already a sunk cost, so unless he is preforming worth that contract, why would we pay him the extra $9m dollars? To cut him a year later? 

This is the nicer way of putting what I was espousing, which was basically running him into early retirement - which never sounds nice, but it's probably the best solution, for us at least, probably not for Todd.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

This is the nicer way of putting what I was espousing, which was basically running him into early retirement - which never sounds nice, but it's probably the best solution, for us at least, probably not for Todd.

Was prime Gurley on Lts level. I do remember LT but I didn’t see him as much. (no streaming and a much more infantile state of the Internet didn’t let me). Plus fox always showed the cowboys game’s in LA back in the day. His prime was so nutty it breaks my heart.