Breakdown what caused the offense to be so poor this season?

Cyrusp1991

I watched a random selection of drives, over 4 different games (Browns, Cowboys, Eagles, Texans) on the coaches film.

Some notes

- The amount of time Brady looks to throw toward receivers, and pulls it down - (a lot of Dorsett, Jules, TEs)

- We may have sorted the OL out late, but in these games, Tom didn't appear to have much time at all really. Sometimes he did but mostly it was crumbling

- Hardly any holes whatsoever for RBs, shocking. 

- Defenders sticking to receivers like glue and NOTHING developing down field. Such a short range offense.

Edited by Hunter2_1

50 minutes ago, mission27 said:

And Devlin

And having a healthy Trent Brown.

And two consistent blocking at tight ends.

And even just a healthy Dorsett and Edelman to maintain a consistent rapport.

And no first round bye in the playoffs.

And McDaniels calling slightly better plays to suit his offensive personnel situationally.

Oh and Shaq Mason not sucking, (but maybe that is just David Andrews not being there like I had suspected...)

It's a lot of things.

Bare in mind, the Pats struggled to put up points in the Super Bowl last year against a susceptible Rams defense. The Patriots scored on a historically bad Chiefs defense in the AFC Championship but nearly half their points came in the fourth quarter trying to keep pace with Mahomes. And the Chargers just crapped their pants in the divisional round with turnovers and time management/coaching mistakes if anybody remembers in what was an awful showing by an opponent from a team that was routinely in nail-bitters that season to even qualify for the playoffs.

Lack of WR consistency is huge.  Our entire team is so regimented and relies on exact timing and positioning.  If a WR can't handle exact timing + route positioning, we're already in trouble.  The next thing is the decision making after the initial route is also regimented so Brady needs his WR's to be on the exact same page he is, and making the same decisions.  

Super inflexible system from a players perspective but, flexible from a team perspective because, theoretically, we should be able to plug and play anyone as long as they understand exactly what they're supposed to do.  

I've touched on this a couple times but, I think it's a huge issue in our run game.  Routes can benefit from exact timing + positioning but, running is a lot more chaotic and our run schemes are incredibly uncreative.  Our run offense depends on every person winning their matchup and the runner following the original plan so we're totally reliant on the offensive line dominating.  Not to say other systems don't have any structure but, we overstructure our run game a bit.  This also leads to BB drafting the most boring RB's of all time as he needs them to be consistent, be able to read defenders, and follow the original plan.  If BB ever adds a "freelancing" RB to our team like Mccoy or a more creative Blount, I will be mindblown.  Until then, we just get different versions of Green-Ellis.

• Like 1