Breakdown what caused the offense to be so poor this season?

Cyrusp1991

Reading threads like this I kind of feel like the Patriots have the first overall pick and went 0-16. The fact is the Patriots went 12-4 and made the playoff. They were not horrible at all. Maybe they weren't what some people think they should have been but they were still good. Of course someone will point out who they beat or who they lost to but every team in the NFL beat teams that weren't great and lost. The Ravens lost to the Browns,  49ers lost to the Falcons, Packers lost to the Chargers (and should have lost to the Lions). That is the NFL all teams have 53 professional football players on their roster. 

This Patriot team is not really any worse than the team that won the Super Bowl less than a year ago except for one player, Rob Gronkowski. The defense was better than last year, special teams was about the same but without Gronk the offense struggled at times. At time the struggles were a result of not taking any chances (like they did in the Super Bowl) because the defense was good. The WR last year were not really any better than this year's Hogan was bad last year, Dorsett was about the same, Edelman was about the same except he was double teamed. Running game was that bad except the safety or LB didn't have to worry about Gronk so they stopped the run. If Rob Gronkowski would have been on the Patriots they would be hosting a playoff game this weekend.

• Like 1

Sorry, but I'm not willing to say "Brady's not the same". Not after that Titans game, he was amazing. That throw to Edelman was fantastic. He nearly willed them to that win, if he'd got even the smallest bit of help from his WRs, they win that game.

When they have a OL back to full strenght, and WRs who can get open, and the offense still struggles...then I'll blame Brady.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

Sorry, but I'm not willing to say "Brady's not the same". Not after that Titans game, he was amazing. That throw to Edelman was fantastic. He nearly willed them to that win, if he'd got even the smallest bit of help from his WRs, they win that game.

Everything doesn’t have to be perfect across the board in order to form an opinion, though. Brady uncharacteristically looked not-himself for spans throughout the season. Yeah, he wasn’t getting help, but there were missed opportunities that we’ve seen him take advantage of in the past. 

He’s not the same as he was in 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016. And that’s fine.

8 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Everything doesn’t have to be perfect across the board in order to form an opinion, though. Brady uncharacteristically looked not-himself for spans throughout the season. Yeah, he wasn’t getting help, but there were missed opportunities that we’ve seen him take advantage of in the past. 

He’s not the same as he was in 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016. And that’s fine.

Except people said that in 2013, and after the Chiefs game in 2014.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Since week 4;

Dorsett targeted 44 times, catching 17 (39%)

Sanu 52 targets, caught 27 (52%)

Harry 31 targets and caught 14 (45%)

DISGUSTING.

60% is what the elite get. Julio's catch percentage this season was that. Randy in 07 was 61%. Tough to say 52% is disgusting when guys who have had historic seasons only did 10% better. 

16 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

60% is what the elite get. Julio's catch percentage this season was that. Randy in 07 was 61%. Tough to say 52% is disgusting when guys who have had historic seasons only did 10% better. 

Only 10%. I wonder how many crucial moments that translates into. Considering a lot of people round here have judged some of our losses on marginal moments, I wouldn't be surprised to see those stats be telling. 

40 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Only 10%. I wonder how many crucial moments that translates into. Considering a lot of people round here have judged some of our losses on marginal moments, I wouldn't be surprised to see those stats be telling. 

10% from ALL TIME greats like Randy Moss in 2007. You cant compare Sanu to Moss, its unfair and disrespectful to Randy. 

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

10% from ALL TIME greats like Randy Moss in 2007. You cant compare Sanu to Moss, its unfair and disrespectful to Randy. 

Eh its not really a fair comparison though 

Moss in 2007 was being targeted 15+ yards downfield, on bombs and posts and out routes and was always double covered... those are inherently lower % plays, same thing with Julio to a lesser extent, those guys are lower % because of the way they are used but when you hit you might get a 50 yard TD

Sanu was used in the slot this season, generally being targeted within 10 yards, more often than not without a defender on his back

Tight ends and slot receivers regularly catch in the high 60s / low 70s, that’s what we got from Edelman (70%) last year and Amendola (73%) the year before with Edelman out

That’s what we needed this year to make our offense work and we just didn’t have that guy, Edelman took a step back and Sanu was very mediocre 

Edited by mission27
  • Like 2