Breakdown what caused the offense to be so poor this season?

Cyrusp1991

13 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Michel really wasn't as bad as his utilization by McDaniels was for a vast majority of the season. Also, with his limited snaps and targets in the pass game, Michel's percentages are greatly affected. At least one of those three drops was a wide open touchdown that Brady for whatever reason was wildly inaccurate on. The other two I cannot remember but Michel isn't as bad as the flack he has gotten.

Fair enough.  Does he start seeing a heavy dose of action in the pass game this coming season?

18 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

If they elect to move on from James White in some form or fashion then absolutely yeah.

I was leaning towards "no that's not happening" to thinking he's 28 and in the last year of his contract.  Sorta in that Bellichick window of moving off of

1 minute ago, IheartMyV8 said:

I was leaning towards "no that's not happening" to thinking he's 28 and in the last year of his contract.  Sorta in that Bellichick window of moving off of

plus his role/usage has made the offense much more predictable and this season White not only was used less than fans expected but was caught by the laces or whatever slightly more often/sooner in his YAC

so... maybe traded for a draft pick to save cap thereby expanding Michel's role in the pass game and ideally making the offense more unpredictable

42 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

plus his role/usage has made the offense much more predictable and this season White not only was used less than fans expected but was caught by the laces or whatever slightly more often/sooner in his YAC

so... maybe traded for a draft pick to save cap thereby expanding Michel's role in the pass game and ideally making the offense more unpredictable

White actually seemed a little more elusive this year than in the past.  He's always been terrible at breaking leg tackles and his skillset is no longer a surprise to defenses.  

Michel really didn't have much to work with when running.  Pass catching TEs really open up the run game and we didn't have any, plus McDaniels barely made an effort to involve Michel in the passing game for whatever reason.  Having Michel drop a couple passes here and there but, get the opportunity to show some threat off a catch is better than not bothering to toss him the ball at all imo; defenses are loading the box literally every time he shows up.  Losing Andrews was huge as well.

Wouldn't write of Michel yet.  He's a solid runner but, super vanilla so, if you don't give him an opportunity he's not going to do anything.  There are guys out there that are more creative and can make something happen from nothing, with risk, but, BB and Co want consistency over anything else so this what we get unfortunately.  I miss the days of Blount doing whatever he wanted creatively since he actually had fantastic running vision.  

4 minutes ago, bluemushrooms said:

White actually seemed a little more elusive this year than in the past.  He's always been terrible at breaking leg tackles and his skillset is no longer a surprise to defenses.  

We said the same thing on everything else but this quote I completely disagree with you on. White was not at his peak "slipperiness" this season, although that's not to say he was way far off either. I just think it is notable since he is entering a contract year, a year away from turning 30, and the Patriots generally move on or trade guys like him that still have value before their performance suffers a more noticeable decline. It also is noteworthy considering the cap, as always, which is a the reason I considered it at all to begin with.

16 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

We said the same thing on everything else but this quote I completely disagree with you on. White was not at his peak "slipperiness" this season, although that's not to say he was way far off either. I just think it is notable since he is entering a contract year, a year away from turning 30, and the Patriots generally move on or trade guys like him that still have value before their performance suffers a more noticeable decline. It also is noteworthy considering the cap, as always, which is a the reason I considered it at all to begin with.

He hasn't really lost any efficiency though.  This year he got 72 catches on 95 targets for 9 YPC versus last year with 87 catches on 123 targets for 8.6 YPC.  I'd keep White over Burkhead any day too; hope we resign White, ignore Burkhead or just pick him up for cheap since he's always injured.

Think we underestimate the impact White has on our offense here....if we lost White our offense would look SIGNIFICANTLY worse.  

I hope they can get something for Michel this offseason. Whatever you think of him as a player, you just can't justify a one dimensional RB with the 31st overall pick. I would rather go into next year with Burkhead and Harris carrying the early down load in the backfield and (hopefully) recouping like a 2nd rounder (hey, if Sanu is worth one...)

2 hours ago, dhunt2402 said:

I hope they can get something for Michel this offseason. Whatever you think of him as a player, you just can't justify a one dimensional RB with the 31st overall pick. I would rather go into next year with Burkhead and Harris carrying the early down load in the backfield and (hopefully) recouping like a 2nd rounder (hey, if Sanu is worth one...)

great idea if you can get a second rounder

sanu trade was the worst move in recent memory by the pats

likely cut or traded for less in 2020