Divisional Round: Baltimore Ravens (14-2) vs Tennessee Titans (10-7)

diamondbull424

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Again Dean Pees? Very.

the degree to which baltimore fans hate this guy suggests y'all have good reason to, but he's genuinely done a very good job for us with the personnel we have, especially in spite of a rash of injuries in the secondary this year. unfortunately our lack of effective pass rushers has really hurt us this year, but we're honestly a pass rusher away from being a very difficult defense to deal with.

10 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

the degree to which baltimore fans hate this guy suggests y'all have good reason to, but he's genuinely done a very good job for us with the personnel we have, especially in spite of a rash of injuries in the secondary this year. unfortunately our lack of effective pass rushers has really hurt us this year, but we're honestly a pass rusher away from being a very difficult defense to deal with.

Dean Pees presided over the post Lewis/Reed Raven defense, where we went from a consistently dominant D to a consistently good/above average defense that had some bad late-game collapses. However the front office whiffed on a couple drafts (Elam and Arthur Brown in the 1st and 2nd round) and personnel was clearly not as good as it was during the Ray Lewis era. In retrospect I don't hate the guy, he probably did a decent job. But compared to what we were used to, he was a disappointment. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Dean Pees presided over the post Lewis/Reed Raven defense, where we went from a consistently dominant D to a consistently good/above average defense that had some bad late-game collapses. However the front office whiffed on a couple drafts (Elam and Arthur Brown in the 1st and 2nd round) and personnel was clearly not as good as it was during the Ray Lewis era. In retrospect I don't hate the guy, he probably did a decent job. But compared to what we were used to, he was a disappointment. 

And it was a mentality change. We went from a blitz-heavy, no nonsesnse defense to a "bend but don't break" scheme that plays 8 yards off the ball and just relies on other teams beating themselves. It sucked to watch, and that mentality came back so often to bite us in the rear late in games where we would collapse and lose. Not to mention Pees' affinity with mis-using players in roles that were clearly not right for them.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RavensDefense3 said:

also the moment pees left the defense shot up the rankings and instead of choking all the time, it started being clutch. i wouldn't be surprised if he was holding the titans D back as well

we’ve seen pretty marked improvement over what we had with lebeau (who, to be fair, was nothing more than average in his waning years). and the late-game collapses that ravens fans often cite just...haven’t really happened. in fact, i’d say our defense has really been quite good at clamping down and sealing games for us. i mean, we won last week because we pitched a second half shutout and it’s not the first time the defense has come through for us like that.

now of course as soon as i say that it’ll happen against y’all lol. but the overall body of work these two years has been impressive. maybe he’s not some elite DC, idk, but he’s unquestionably been an upgrade for us.

5 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

we’ve seen pretty marked improvement over what we had with lebeau (who, to be fair, was nothing more than average in his waning years). and the late-game collapses that ravens fans often cite just...haven’t really happened. in fact, i’d say our defense has really been quite good at clamping down and sealing games for us. i mean, we won last week because we pitched a second half shutout and it’s not the first time the defense has come through for us like that.

now of course as soon as i say that it’ll happen against y’all lol. but the overall body of work these two years has been impressive. maybe he’s not some elite DC, idk, but he’s unquestionably been an upgrade for us.

TOO LATE YOU JINXED YOURSELF GG NO RE

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

Just how bad was your D before that Pees getting them to be middle of the road (17th by weighted DVOA) is considered a genuinely very good job?

4 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Just how bad was your D before that Pees getting them to be middle of the road (17th by weighted DVOA) is considered a genuinely very good job?

we were 3rd in scoring defense last year. this year has been rougher bc we had a lengthy stretch where we were starting practice squad guys at CB due to injuries, plus we’ve had some injuries/regression on the defensive line that has severely hampered our pass rush. all things considered, though, i have few complaints about the defensive playcalling and personnel usage. we’re managing with what we’ve got.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Hot take, but I like that the media is gushing over Derrick Henry and acting like the Ravens didn't just put up the most dominant rushing season together of all time - or at least top 3 of all-time. Make us the underdog again, even as the undisputed #1 seed! I love it.

No ones making you the underdog lol your like 10 point favs

30 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

No ones making you the underdog lol your like 10 point favs

And yet, all anyone is talking about is Derrick Henry lol I'm just saying I like how much attention TEN is getting with their run game. It'll make it even sweeter when we run for 200+.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And yet, all anyone is talking about is Derrick Henry lol I'm just saying I like how much attention TEN is getting with their run game. It'll make it even sweeter when we run for 200+.

That’s unequivocally false lol. Lamar and your rushing attack is getting all sorts of love

If it is true that the media talking about about Derrick Henry, I'd say its for 2 reasons:

1) If he has a big game, it will have probably meant the Titans did well (because I can't imagine they'd still run him 25+ times if they are down 2 scores early and the margin doesn't get any closer)
2) The fact the game current has a 9.5-10 point spread means its likely to be a one sided game.  It'd be pretty boring if that was all they talked about, and would probably result in a lower audience which flies in the face of the purpose of discussing it in the first place

5 hours ago, drd23 said:

Interesting. I’m sure if Gus Edwards gets the bulk of the carries he will use it as an opportunity to prove himself especially with the opposing runner on the opposite team being someone with a similar rushing style and physicality. Have to believe a motivated (and fresh) Gus Edwards is the exact kind of physical back that can beat down on a defense that played in a physical game against NE. Both Henry and Gus are battering rams and Edwards just might be the most underrated RB in the NFL at this juncture. This could be his coming out party.

• Like 2