Divisional Round: Baltimore Ravens (14-2) vs Tennessee Titans (10-7)

diamondbull424

5 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Lol, I won't debate any of that. Even though I disagree with that. I think Marcus was in his own head more than anything but I think he is able to be a NFL QB.  :) 

Real question though. How confident are you guys in Lamar in converting 3rd and longs consistently?

Again Dean Pees? Very.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Real question though. How confident are you guys in Lamar in converting 3rd and longs consistently?

I don't have the stats, but he's done well to my eye during the regular season due to a couple reasons:

- Teams have a hard time generating pressure because they are so concerned with not letting him out of the pocket. So Lamar will do a deep drop and have a massive pocket. Edge guys don't ever streak upfield b/c they are worried about losing contain. With that amount of time, Lamar is great a picking apart zone defenses. Man-to-man exposes the defense to a scramble.  

- Depending on the field position, the Ravens are also willing to pick up 6 yards on 3rd and 8 and then convert 4th and 2. So even on 3rd and long the defense has to be ready to play the run. Being aggressive on 4th down makes 3rd down a different proposition than it is for other teams.

- Also, the Ravens don't face too many 3rd in longs for a reason. They have a historically dominant rushing attack and the most efficient passing attack according to advance metrics. I don't see the Ravens having to convert a lot of 3rd and longs against a mediocre defense like TEN.   

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

The man's asking like we haven't seen Pees repeatedly put our D in positions to fail in 3rd and longs 😂

I have trust in Lamar to do what it takes to get it done. Period. 

Let us all remember that this was the best play Dean Pees could think of on 4th and long with the season on the line:

Image result for tyler boyd ravens gif

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Danand said:

I think we can be pretty confident. Lamar has been able to hit especially Andrews in those situations where Andrews sits down in zone or go across the middle. When Lamar buys time and roll out he has been good at finding especially Hurst towards the sideline and then we have Seth roberts who have quietly been effective in those situations.

Lamar doesn't make many throws to the outside on outbreaking routes from the pocket, and fortunately for us he hasn't been forced to do that yet.

Titans shouldn't expect him to use pump fakes to disguise throws and fool coverages as that is not a part of his game yet. Hard counts like especially Rodgers has been good at is not something he does either, so there is only little deception to his game. He is quite effective going through reads though and it is not rare that he gets the ball to his 3 and 4 read.

Edit: Ravens have won bad weather games, but in windy Buffalo both QB's had difficulties throwing. That is maybe the only game where he wasn't very effective combined with the first Steelers game, where Steelers front 4 did an insane job against our oline and their defense played really well and we couldn't stretch their defense as Marquise Brown was injured.

I would say our weakness is the zone. We get caught watching often and experienced WRs or TEs that know how to sit in that zone will feast on that. So that does worry me with Andrews and your TE group.

I think our strength is the way we disguise out coverages. We confused Brees a couple times that lead to sacks. Younger guys like Watson struggles at times, forcing him to scramble. 

If a QB is an one read guy like Watson (in my opinion) tends to be that will be a struggle to pass. It will cause them to hesitate and pull the ball down. Which in this case with Jackson would be bad for the Titans. 

With good reason, I like our chances better if Jackson has to throw. Not saying it is terrible if he throws, I just think that isn't his best skill at the moment.  You guys could win effectively if he had to throw, but I think it betters our chances. 
Like I said earlier, we have done a decent job stopping the run consistently, it's the big play that has killed us.  If we can get you all in a couple of passing downs, I'd feel more confident in the outcome of the game.

31 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I don't have the stats, but he's done well to my eye during the regular season due to a couple reasons:

- Teams have a hard time generating pressure because they are so concerned with not letting him out of the pocket. So Lamar will do a deep drop and have a massive pocket. Edge guys don't ever streak upfield b/c they are worried about losing contain. With that amount of time, Lamar is great a picking apart zone defenses. Man-to-man exposes the defense to a scramble.  

- Depending on the field position, the Ravens are also willing to pick up 6 yards on 3rd and 8 and then convert 4th and 2. So even on 3rd and long the defense has to be ready to play the run. Being aggressive on 4th down makes 3rd down a different proposition than it is for other teams.

- Also, the Ravens don't face too many 3rd in longs for a reason. They have a historically dominant rushing attack and the most efficient passing attack according to advance metrics. I don't see the Ravens having to convert a lot of 3rd and longs against a mediocre defense like TEN.   

Yeah. Your running game eliminated the 3rd and long consistently.  

Our defense is better than the stats say. We've been good with halftime adjustments. We've gotten burned early a few times. We hit an injury bug there down the stretch in our secondary so that led to some bad numbers. 
I'd say we are an average to above average defense that can make stops. But we need a team effort. The defense will give away if the offense doesn't produce.

Early in the season, our defense could win us games (they did). But being thin in the secondary, that wasn't the case. 

I know you all hate Pees and for good reason, we've seen them. lol   But he has done well with coverages and adjustments. 

I expect us to follow the trend and not rush Lamar and see if our defense can confuse him enough to make him make a mistake.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

The man's asking like we haven't seen Pees repeatedly put our D in positions to fail in 3rd and longs 😂

I have trust in Lamar to do what it takes to get it done. Period. 

I'm not saying any of that. I was asking just about the development of Lamar as a passer. We get you all hate Pees and understand why. 

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I'm not saying any of that. I was asking just about the development of Lamar as a passer. We get you all hate Pees and understand why. 

I would say that if we get into 3rd and long, the place I get nervous is our WR's - not Lamar. I trust Lamar to hit anyone who is open, but I do not trust our WR's to actually get open.

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I would say that if we get into 3rd and long, the place I get nervous is our WR's - not Lamar. I trust Lamar to hit anyone who is open, but I do not trust our WR's to actually get open.

Gotcha.  

Lol Ya'll have Seth Roberts.  Look it up, he had his best  career game against us and always tends to catch a TD. 
We're screwed. :) 

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

Gotcha.  

Lol Ya'll have Seth Roberts.  Look it up, he had his best  career game against us and always tends to catch a TD. 
We're screwed. :) 

Oddly enough, he's our most reliable 3rd down WR I think. Last I heard like every single catch he's made this year has gone for a first down or something like that. I mean he only has like 13 receptions this year, but still!

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Oddly enough, he's our most reliable 3rd down WR I think. Last I heard like every single catch he's made this year has gone for a first down or something like that. I mean he only has like 13 receptions this year, but still!

Lol if you a betting man, find a prop bet that says he will catch a TD.  

6 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Is that forecast right? Everything i’ve seen says it’s going to be raining 

Honestly don’t have a great feeling after the last playoff game, haha

Forecast is accurate, check the link and the past games of which they’ve forecasted. Useful website. It’s supposed to rain DURING THE DAY, but then it’s suppose to clear up as the day goes on. So as long as the field tarp doesn’t have to come up while it’s raining the field should remain well protected from the moisture.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think Dean Pees will deploy something similar to what he did in the Superbowl against Kaepernick all those years ago, where they try to hit Lamar on every read-option play. However, I think the difference will not only be that "hitting Lamar" is easier said than done, but Greg Roman is going to throw in some Play Action and take advantage of the defense selling out for the run and stopping Lamar..

Should be fun to watch. All we need to do is score-stop-score early and I think this game gets out of hand for Tennessee.

What’s more we have to remember what the Steelers did against RG3 in week 17 and how aggressively they were hitting him on some plays, some of which were illegal.

So I think the refs might be over-prepared to “protect Lamar” some in this matchup because of those complaints. Thus it could screw up the Titans defensive gameplan of going full roughshod on Lamar. Leaving the Titans defenders less than prepared with how they’re going to try and play their game. Possibly allowing some free yardage for us that makes it even more difficult for them to dig themselves out of a hole once those yards are converted into scoring drives.

• Like 1