Divisional Round: Baltimore Ravens (14-2) vs Tennessee Titans (10-7)

diamondbull424

I too am guilty of saying we don't defend outside zone very well, when the fact seems to be, that we are just more vulnerable with runs that goes to the outside, either because we fail to set the edge or because we don't fill gaps properly. Had Suggs fallen to us when the Cardinals released him, I would be a lot less concerned, that we would give up big plays on runs to the outside.

50 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Wasn't Mostert's big game against us built on outside zone runs? 

I’m thinking those numbers fail to include the cutback runs that come off of the outside zone runs. Moestert took advantage of our defense over pursuing because we couldn’t keep outside contain and then those cutbacks to the middle burned us.

At least IIRC. Memory isn’t the best but pretty sure it went something like that.

On 1/9/2020 at 7:54 AM, Ray Reed said:

If it were me:

Marlon -> AJ Brown (Size and speed matchup)

Peters -> Corey Davis (Hopefully Peters' speed is able to blanket the more physical but definitively slower Davis)

Jimmy/Chuck Clark -> Jonu Smith (Size matchup for Jimmy/Coverage skills of Clark)

I am a bit frustrated to see AJ Brown having such a great year.  He was the WR whom I most wanted the Ravens to take in 1st round, and I'll admit I was upset that they took Hollywood instead, as I saw him as having too much risk of being a bust, either due to fragility, shortness, or never recovering from last year's injury -- though in I now have to admit Hollywood panned out better than I expected.  

It sure is nice having so many great cover guys in the secondary, and I think Marlon would be great on AJ Brown, but I almost think Jimmy Smith matches up against him even better.  (No reason the 2 of them couldn't trade off.)  Jimmy is super physical on the line, and has repeatedly, consistently been making outstanding plays on key plays during the past 4-5 games.  Including some nasty [but clean] hits right when the ball arrives.  He has quietly been playing at an All-Pro level this year, though Peters & Humph are getting more press.  To wit, I saw a stat reported somewhere this past week that showed opposing QB rating and completion % against each of our 5 starting DBs.  It's eye-opening:

vs. Marcus Peters:  63.4;  56.9%
vs. M. Humphrey:   67.9;  58%
vs. Jimmy Smith:   67.8;  56%
vs. Earl Thomas:    24.2;  44%
vs. Chuck Clark:   74.5;  62.9%

While those #s don't show the full value of Clark, it really emphasizes how solid all these guys are against the pass.  (Frankly, I hadn't realized Thomas was doing that well.)

I really have a hard time seeing Tannehill being as good as his league-leading Passer Rating suggests.  While the stats say he seems to process & read the blitz very well, will that be the case if none of his guys are clearly open?  Can he consistently throw lasers right on the money with a guy covering tightly?  I think every 3rd and 5 the Titans face is an interception just begging to happen.