Matt Rhule to become Carolina Panthers next Head Coach

deltarich87

So other then Jimmy Johnson  (after his 1st year). Who was the last College Head Coach to have long term success in the NFL with no prior HC, OC, or DC NFL experience?

For Panthers Fans lets hope he's not the next Saban, Erickson, Petrino, Davis, Groh, Kelly (best of these names 🤯)! Track record is not good, just saying!

https://www.nbcsports.com/making-jump-how-did-college-coaches-fare-after-going-nfl

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Man, to be a Giants fan this past year:

- Your team drafts Jones over Haskins

- You have a terrible record but still lose the Chase Young Sweepstakes

- You fire Shurmer but keep Gettleman

- You miss out on Rivera and Rhule even though it’s clear your FO wanted them badly

Keep your heads up boys!  Better days ahead!

How has Haskins looked so far?

12 minutes ago, Gravity said:

How has Haskins looked so far?

Terrible early in the year when he was forced to come in mid-game in spot relief duty, with no reps given to him throughout the week of preparation.  

Better, but still not all that impressive in his first starts mid-year.  Much better towards the end of the year.  He was injured in week 16, but the game and a half of stats he was racking up before the injury was impressive:

31 of 43 for 72% completion percentage

394 passing yards

4 TD's, 0 INTs, 1 fumble

131.3 passer rating

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Terrible early in the year when he was forced to come in mid-game in spot relief duty, with no reps given to him throughout the week of preparation.  

Better, but still not all that impressive in his first starts mid-year.  Much better towards the end of the year.  He was injured in week 16, but the game and a half of stats he was racking up before the injury was impressive:

394 passing yards

4 TD's, 0 INTs, 1 fumble

131.3 passer rating

At the time it might have been head scratching that Danny Dimes went over Haskins but rookie seasons compared it worked out in there favor so far. Naturally it’s early after not even a full season complete but Jones has some ball security issues however you see the upside and coming in Eli relief and play well and make the giants competitive. I really didn’t like what I saw of Haskins at all. Besides a half. But then again I’m a Michigan fan.

Edited by TheBeast23

6 hours ago, swede700 said:

Well, the only thing it truly means is that being willing to outspend doesn't necessarily make him a good businessman or a prudent owner.  And I certainly don't trust a hedge fund manager (or former Goldman Sachs guy) to run businesses with any sort of practicality.  We'll see what happens long-term.  You can't treat a sports team like a hedge fund.  He may turn out great, but I'd still be cautious about it.

And if Rhule turns out great, all the better, but we've seen owners throw around money (i.e. Daniel Snyder) and not have success.  But, at least in Snyder's case, he's in a market that can generate enough revenue to overcome that spending.  Charlotte can not.       

Yeah... I didn't say it was a good hire or that Tepper was a good businessman.

14 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

394 passing yards

4 TD's, 0 INTs, 1 fumble

131.3 passer rating

Oh, cool. Thanks for the response! good stats

Edited by Gravity
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 10:51 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, I threw that one in there because of the reactions of the Giants fan base at the time. I think Haskins has a brighter future, but it’s definitely arguable. 

I think Haskins was doomed with that coach. Both QBs will improve this year for sure but I would bet Haskins takes the bigger leap in year 2.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 8:23 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

Woah.

You know what that suggests to me ?
I think the Panthers are gonna tank for Trevor Lawrence. That gives Tepper the golden opportunity to win over the fans who live in the other Carolina
The length of the deal tells the HC he has time on his side and doesn't have to worry about an abysmal 2020
Cam will probably be traded for future assets

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

You know what that suggests to me ?
I think the Panthers are gonna tank for Trevor Lawrence. That gives Tepper the golden opportunity to win over the fans who live in the other Carolina
The length of the deal tells the HC he has time on his side and doesn't have to worry about an abysmal 2020
Cam will probably be traded for future assets

They can sell it as a 'rebuilding' year as well. Look at Rhule's first years at both Temple and Baylor: 2-10, 1-11. It makes a lot of sense.