Jump to content

Matt Rhule to become Carolina Panthers next Head Coach


Recommended Posts

It sounds like we’re 100% committed to tanking 2020 for Trevor Lawrence.  Our owner talking about taking things down and building them back up, and Rhule multiple times referring to a process.  I think we let Newton go and go full blast to tank mode. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

Apparently, Rhule's dad was a Nazarene minister. So that explains his speaking cadence and related public speaking mannerisms.

He also worked for Sandusky's foundation that he met children through for a year. Rhule even mentioned playing "under the great coach Joe Paterno" in his presser and I cringed so unbelievably hard.

I have awful, awful feelings about this hire. This is about as demoralizing as firing Gettleman so that we could re-hire Marty Hurney. I might just quit being a fan and pivot to watching the MLB or NBA.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Sorry buddy you missed the key part where I said best of these names!!! Besides you added his 2nd stint as a failed HC which destroyed his 20-12 record with the Eagles and a NFCE Title his first two seasons (26-21 overall). Which was lightyears better then the Saban's, Petrino's,  Erickson's, Davis's , Groh's and other Flavors of the month that pop out of College every other year as the Next Best.........!!!

But thanks @bzane for seeing the name Chip Kelly, instantly  overreacting to make my point even better for me rather then comprehending what was be written! Never once said he was a success! I'd enlarge this print to emphasize my point too but you did a good enough job of making an *** out of yourself already. 🍺👍

So past 30 years we have

Jimmy Johnson 

Jim Harbaugh

And counting.......Go!

 

 

Uhh, Nabbs, I was kidding around, and agreeing with you- I was making fun of the hype that surrounded Chip when he first came into the NFL, all that stuff about his hurry-up Oregon offense, and the supposed revolutionary training methods. He was, for sure, one of the greatest flops as Former-College-Coach-Fails In-The-NFL. I was satirizing the way the media over-praised him as this cutting-edge genius who would change the way teams are run. Personally, I thought he was ridiculous, especially in the way he traded away some of the Eagles who didn't fit in his system, or whom he just didn't like. His fall from Grace was epic.

I liked your post, and meant to support it, first echoing the foolishness that was written about Kelly early-on in his NFL , and then adding a more-recent quote citing Kelly was one of the many failed college coaches. Which proved your point. 

If this came across any different, I apologize. I agreed with what you said, and I recognize you as one of the very knowledgable Eagles' fans posters who contribute so much to this site. Sorry about that. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

It sounds like we’re 100% committed to tanking 2020 for Trevor Lawrence.  Our owner talking about taking things down and building them back up, and Rhule multiple times referring to a process.  I think we let Newton go and go full blast to tank mode. 

How much for Luke.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

It sounds like we’re 100% committed to tanking 2020 for Trevor Lawrence.  Our owner talking about taking things down and building them back up, and Rhule multiple times referring to a process.  I think we let Newton go and go full blast to tank mode. 

What gives you that impression? Everything I've seen that hasn't been baseless speculation from Rap (who's been consistently wrong about anything Panthers-related recently) has been that Tepper (and Rhule) want to go into 2020 with Cam at the helm. It's pretty obvious that tanking doesn't work in the NFL, as Miami's FO tried to harder than any team in recent memory and still won 5 games.

 

Not saying it won't happen, I just haven't gotten that impression.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, walter_iv said:

Not saying it won't happen, I just haven't gotten that impression.

Think about this from a business point of view:
South Carolina is a college "town" they've never had a pro team nor did they have a compelling reason to go all- in on a team from NC
Tepper has already lobbied the politicians, gotten some perks and written the checks to build a practice facility just over the border in South Carolina.
That was no coincidence, there are any number of parcels closer to the stadium in North Carolina, yet he chose to go there instead.
That offers us some insight

Drafting Trevor Lawrence would be an IMMENSE boost to his bottom line and goes a long way to winning over those "new" Panther fans.

As far as the success or failure of Miami's tank job, we really don't know what was in their hearts and how committed they were to losing their way into the top of the draft. Does Brian Flores have a 7 year runway and the commitment from Ross ? We don't know that either.
If Tepper wants Trevor he's laid the groundwork for that option and while Lawrence will be a good one wherever he goes...
but because of his Clemson roots - he has more value to Tepper than any other franchise from the $$ side.

And we all know what drives decisions for NFL owners

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, walter_iv said:

What gives you that impression? Everything I've seen that hasn't been baseless speculation from Rap (who's been consistently wrong about anything Panthers-related recently) has been that Tepper (and Rhule) want to go into 2020 with Cam at the helm. It's pretty obvious that tanking doesn't work in the NFL, as Miami's FO tried to harder than any team in recent memory and still won 5 games.

 

Not saying it won't happen, I just haven't gotten that impression.

I think Rhule was incredibly evasive. It reminded me a lot of Gettleman discussing Smith, actually. I think the end-game for Newton comes down to his contract. Will he play out the final year? If so, I could see him sticking around. If he wants an extension, I think he's 100% gone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bzane said:

Uhh, Nabbs, I was kidding around, and agreeing with you- I was making fun of the hype that surrounded Chip when he first came into the NFL, all that stuff about his hurry-up Oregon offense, and the supposed revolutionary training methods. He was, for sure, one of the greatest flops as Former-College-Coach-Fails In-The-NFL. I was satirizing the way the media over-praised him as this cutting-edge genius who would change the way teams are run. Personally, I thought he was ridiculous, especially in the way he traded away some of the Eagles who didn't fit in his system, or whom he just didn't like. His fall from Grace was epic.

I liked your post, and meant to support it, first echoing the foolishness that was written about Kelly early-on in his NFL , and then adding a more-recent quote citing Kelly was one of the many failed college coaches. Which proved your point. 

If this came across any different, I apologize. I agreed with what you said, and I recognize you as one of the very knowledgable Eagles' fans posters who contribute so much to this site. Sorry about that. 

To be fair to Chip, his use of sports science and analytics were pretty revolutionary and still is. He was just too rigid and stubborn in all the other important areas to succeed. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

The Chip Kelly thing is mostly because:

a) both come from a green color scheme in college

b) both were sort of hot commodities rather suddenly

c) both chubby

d) both wanted to/assembled staffs with "mixed" coaches who were pulled from college with limited NFL experience or ties

What were the college coaches for Chip's staff?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

his assistant head coach, both defensive line coaches, and the defensive backs coach

That's not too bad. I like that he at least got Shumur as his OC. His choice for DC was horrible, NFL or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...